E*TRADE Financial

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Alpharetta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in April 2010.

Interview Details I interviewed for a Software Engineer position in early 2010. I went through three lengthy phone interviews before an in-person interview was scheduled. Though the people I met were very friendly, the in-person interview was very unstructured and gave me the impression that they were not well prepared to interview me. This was a surprise since I had gone through three telephone interviews with different people.

A short time later I was scheduled to come into yet another in-person interview. Much of the same questions were asked yet again in a fairly unscripted and unprepared way.

I was then given a *very* low ball offer clearly outside of what I indicated I would accept. I attempted to call my contact for negotiation but he had gone on vacation for two weeks!

I did not end up with a favorable opinion after this and declined the offer.

Interview Question – * Mostly standard "describe a situation you had to resolve"
* Some simple coding on the white board
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was very low. Business seemed very disorganized.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in May 2012.

Interview Details Applied online through their career web site. It was a senior position in software engineering.

Almost a month later I got a call from their HR person asking questions about my background etc. He was nice and polite, seemed satisfied with my answers and told me he would pass my resume to the hiring manager.

A few days later I was notified that the hiring manager would be speaking to me.

Unfortunately no formal confirmation/email was sent to me, so the day before interview I had to contact HR myself to confirm date & time of this phone call. Still I was unaware of the name of the person I'd be speaking to.

At the date of interview I had to wait for 45 min with no one calling me. I sent an email to HR again letting them know about this situation. Immediately after that I got a call from somebody saying that he couldn't make it today and wanted to reschedule. I agreed.

The next day the same person was just 10 min late. He started immediately asking C++ questions (even though I made it clear to the HR my primary expertise was Java).

I would say that the whole conversation was done in a pretty uncomfortable (if not offensive) manner. Every time interviewer tried to emphasize (sometimes not letting me finish) that my answer was not correct (like to my statement that C++ is an OO language - NO - not correct - C++ is not an object oriented language because programs in C++ can be written in a non-object oriented fashion).

Examples of some other questions are:

what is signal X in Linux?
what is signal Y in Linux?
etc.

In the end I asked about the role of this person in the organization (still assuming I was talking to hiring manager).

However I figured I was talking to a C++ consultant which had no idea which position I applied for and had no copy of my resume. He told me that he was just asked by his supervisor to test my C++ skills.

Suffice to say there was no follow up on their part and zero interest on my part to move forward. By far the worst interview in my entire career.

Interview Questions

Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in June 2009.

Interview Details i had 1 phone interview and one 1:1 interview at my school

Then I had 6 rounds of 1:1 interview with 6 different hiring managers . all asking same thing

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not much, pretty much got what they offered

Minnesota Lake, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in April 2010.

Interview Details Basic IQ questions, basic probability very detailed Java questions you would be good if you went through the SCJP certification book for an entry level position. Coding started with reverse a string, why recursion, Algorithms for searching and sorting

Interview Question – Describe Object References in Java where they are useful and give an example of where you have used them   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in May 2009.

Interview Details The hiring and interview process was very professional on behalf of E Trade Financial. I was very impressed with the knowledge and information delivered during the interview. It was a laid back fact collecting interview that i found very helpful in deciding if I was interested in future employment at E trade.

Interview Question – Can you please describe your most challenging software programming solution?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at E*TRADE Financial

Worked for E*TRADE Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at E*TRADE Financial Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by E*TRADE Financial employees and interview candidates.