ESPN Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 14, 2014
Updated Jun 14, 2014
82 interviews

Stats Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at ESPN.

Long interview process with multiple stages. Must be patient. Will need to pass a sports assessment to prove knowledge of "sports trivia"-type content before full interview process begins. Then interviews with several managers and directors of varying levels. Depending on openings, the length of time from application to offer can be many months.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer questions on how you handle adversity in different aspects of life.   Answer Question
    There is some, but very limited, room for salary negotiation.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bristol, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ESPN in April 2013.

A few phone interviews then fly into Bristol for a day of interviews. Similar questions to other sofware compaines. Not as difficult as amazon/google/other silicon valley big boys, but tougher than software consulting firms. Some sports questions as well to gauge interest in sports. Dont fake your way through the sports questions, much better to admit if you dont care about sports, its not a big deal people just dont want to work with a fabricator. I didnt do any negotiating with the offer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bristol, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT (US)

interviewed at ESPN in May 2011.

There is a team of designers that runs you through a white boarding exercise. There were a series of analytical and behavioral questions. Each design team member took turns asking me various questions about my experience.

Interview Questions
    • Hypothetical business case. What if you had to design a piece of map software.   Answer Question
    Pretty straight forward. I was asked about my salary history and I was given an offer. I counter offered and they accepted.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Burbank, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ESPN.

I applied online on TWDC website and got an email about 3 weeks later from HR in the Bristol office asking to set up 2 phone interviews. I would be speaking with 2 directors - 1 is in NY and the other 1 was in LA. HR was very accommodating to my schedule and the directors I spoke two were okay. I expected them to ask about my current job experience and skillset or even ask me sports trivia questions (as some people were asked that from seeing previous interviews on here).

But no. I was not. I was grilled some pretty tough questions about the cable industry and the Pay TV industry. I felt like I answered the first 2 really well, but the last question was a curveball that I couldn't answer adequately.

1) ESPN has had some challenges with declining Pay TV subscribers. What is the reason behind this and what would you suggest as a solution?

2) Would you recommend that ESPN maintain its current business model or should it shift toward an 'a la carte' model and offer a standalone service? What is the challenge behind the latter and what would you offer as a remedy?

Obviously the questions were relevant because the position I applied for pertained to Business Strategy in the cable landscape, but still, it was hard.

I only got as far as the phone interview. No in person interview and no offer. I got a rejection email about 2 weeks later. All in all, the entire process took about 5 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • 3) The Dodgers and Time Warner have had some difficulties in the LA market. What is this problem and how does it affect the landscape of the Pay TV industry?   Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ESPN.

Was asked to apply for the position then set up for 2 phone interviews. Moved on the next phase and went on 4 more phone interview with Directors and HR. Then asked to come in to interview with VP. I also had to present a 30 min mock presentation to about 6 employees. The process was well communicated each step of the way making it very smooth and all the employees made it such a great process.

Interview Questions
    • It was just a lot of different people to talk to. I felt as if I repeated myself a lot and got confused as to who I told what and what I had to bring up again.   Answer Question
    • Talk about any ESPN or Disney platforms/mediums that you are familiar with.   Answer Question
    Did not care to negotiate. They asked me early in the interview what I expected and this met my expectations

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ESPN in March 2014.

I was initially contacted by the recruiter for this position, for I had initially applied to a different job. I had a pre-screening interview with the recruiter to gauge my skills, then was set up to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. He asked me typical open ended questions in computer science. Then a few weeks later I was scheduled another phone interview the same hiring manager and two of his team members. They had sent me an algorithm to code and I would submit on GitHub for critique. A week later I made it to the final round interviewing and was flown out to Bristol, CT. There I had six hours straight interviewing with directors, managers and faculty in the department. Questions ranged from easy to difficult and sporadic throughout the day. It personally wasn't for me. Plan for a quick turn around and really know your stuff.

Interview Questions
    • From a male engineer to a female engineer, would you feel comfortable dealing with issues of superiority, because it has happened in the past, and I can't guarantee it won't happen again.   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ESPN.

Received an email saying I was a strong candidate. Set up a phone screening, Two weeks later scheduled an phone interview. Two weesk later received offer. Only had the interview over the phone, they asked which location do you prefer etc etc

Interview Questions
    • Standard Interview Questions, make sure you can elaborate on your resume   Answer Question

Graphics Systems Controller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ESPN.

I had an initial phone interview, Skype interview with a manager from Bristol, CT, then an 2 person interview in the office.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. The interview was conversation like.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation allowed.

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

interviewed at ESPN in January 2014.

The interview process was pretty easy going. The initial communications was much to be expected of an interview which were what are you looking for in this job and basically what can I bring to the table. They asked me about my areas of expertise and questioned me about what I really knew.

Interview Questions
    • The most technical question was actually a little test they had prepared for me to fill out which was about various team sports ranging from hockey to soccer.   Answer Question

Ad Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ESPN in September 2010.

The initial Interview process is rigorous. Went through 2 rounds of 4 interviews each time. All interviews were 1x1 with people you would work with in some fashion. If the role is very technical in nature they do test you on some of the technology they may be using. They also did conduct a very deep background check and verified everything listed on resume.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with conflict with a manager of another team?   Answer Question
    I should have negotiated more they do entertain it.

Worked for ESPN? Contribute to the Community!