EY

Updated 28 Feb 2015
Updated 28 Feb 2015

2.9

Advisory Staff Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EY.

Applied through school's recruiting website, first round interview was easy, but I think the interviewer was too tired so that he didn't pay much attention to my answer...(I was in the last interview for a day)

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Advisory Staff Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY.

Got the first round interview through the on-campus recruiting. I was not able to attend the on-campus interview so they give me a phone interview. Finished an online writing assessment after that and got the on-site interview several days later.

Interview Questions
    • I am an engineering student, so I'm not familiar with case study .   View Answers (2)

Advisory Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at EY in January 2015.

This is for the Advisory Consulting Program (ACP) at EY

First step was talking with a Recruiter over the phone for about 15 minutes. Just getting a better idea of the program and trying to show interest in the position.

Next step was a 30-45 min phone interview with a senior manager. Typical interview setting, went over my resume in depth. Asked a few behavioral questions but not too much, a lot was focused on my resume, asked for specific examples from experiences listed on resume. Last 15 min or so are left for questions for you to ask interviewer, make them count. Also on a separate day had to complete a timed online written assessment. You get about 30-45 min to complete it, topic is pretty general, just looking for good organizational skills.

Final step was an all day interview in Dallas called "Mega Day" or "Super Day". You fly down the day before, and there is a dinner/reception that night for all the candidates. There will be 'greeters' there to talk to, basically they are just current EY employees currently in ACP that can answer questions for you. There will also be some higher up EY employees such as recruiting directors and or partners. Everyone has name tags and you just float around the room talking to whomever you wish. The next day you will have your 3 interviews back to back. First they bring you in for breakfast and give a brief presentation telling you how great EY is followed by one more chance for questions. Then its off to the interviews.

One case study and two behaviorals. The order is random but you get a room for yourself and the interviewers rotate around. Each one lasts about 30 min. The case study is different depending on if you are going for Business consulting or Technology consulting. Just make sure you remain calm and ask questions, make it a dialogue between you and the interviewer. You will be asked to turn in all your worksheets at the end and required to give a sheet with your basic outline of your answer to the case study. The two behavioral interviews are both straightforward, one focused more on my resume while the other focused more on behavioral style questions. Why consulting? Why EY? How well do you work in teams? A challenging time and how you dealt with it? How do you manage your time? Make sure you have questions for the interviewers, they give you time at the end to ask. Always ask for their business card or email address at the very end.

Thats basically it, you leave almost immediately after the interviews have concluded.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most challenging time in your life and why?   View Answer
    • Tell me about yourself?   View Answer

Advisory Staff Interview

Campus Recruiting- EY came to campus and held interviews. Next step will be on site, case based interview. There is also a writing aspect to test writing communication skills

Interview Questions
    • Typical Questions- Why EY? Strengths and Weakness?
      Tell how you solve problems, manage your time, and work with teams

View Answer

Advisory Staff Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at EY.

The overall hiring process was very pleasant. I started by talking to several current employees on campus and was invited to a dinner with the recruiter, staff, and partners within the firm. Several weeks later, I spoke with them at the career fair and attended an information session. I applied through my campus job board and was invited for an on campus 1st round interview. The first interview only lasted 30 minutes and was mainly a conversation between me and the interviewer so he could gauge my interest. I was also asked to walk the interviewer through the SDLC.

A few days later I was asked to complete an online writing assessment that you are given 45 minutes to do. 2 weeks after that, I was notified that I was selected for a final round "megaday" interview. I was flown out to the office the night before. This consisted of 2 behavioral type interviews and 1 case study. The case was pretty straightforward and the interviewer was very helpful. Just make sure that you ask clarifying questions and walk them through your thought process. They aren't necessarily looking for the right answer, rather how you approach solving the problem. The day ended with lunch and a quick presentation from HR.

I received a verbal offer a week later and my official offer information by email a few days after that.

Interview Questions
    • Where can you add value to EY?
      You're an engineering student. Why do you want to be a consultant?
      How can you add value to the firm?
      Strengths/Weaknesses?

Answer Question

Advisory Staff Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY.

The hiring process took longer than I expected, but was a fairly simple process overall.

1) Reached out by an EY recruiter in the beginning regarding the nature of the position and a discussion of the type of work involved.

2) Next step was a phone interview with a Manager/Senior Manager about the practice in general, type of people they are looking for, and further in-depth discussion of the types of opportunities within the practice

3) Final part of the process was in person interviews, each lasting anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult. It seemed to be purely a behavioral interview. As in, is this someone I would want to work with on a daily basis, especially late nights, and would they make a great impression on the client.   Answer Question

Advisory Staff Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EY.

Applied through university via campus recruiting. After being selected for first round interviews, which in my opinion is the biggest weed-out portion of the process, I met with a greeter who brought me into a room with an upper-level manager. Although very similar to a typical behavioral interview, I was additionally asked a myriad of technical questions-- though I was applying for a more technical position under advisory, my resume and writing sample were scanned to the bone.

About 3 weeks later, I received an email saying I had to complete a timed writing assessment within 48 hours. A day later I was notified that I had advanced to the second round.

The second round interview consists of a "super day" at your specific office location (requested prior to application submission), where you attend a series of presentations, interviews, and a luncheon. The night before, you and all of the candidates meet up at a nice restaurant for a free ice-breaker dinner hosted by EY employees of all levels. On the day of, the company ultimately sells you on accepting the offer (big 4 companies do this), and then you are directed to 3 back to back interviews Both the behavioral interviews were much more relaxed and conversational than the first round which was a great relief because the case interview can take a lot out of you. I had a limited amount of time to read about an artificial company facing a process issue and use a framework to identify the issue and then resolve it. A few hours after the luncheon, I was notified that I received the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare in advance by looking at sample case studies. Be prepared to answer a lot of technical questions if you have an information systems background.   View Answers (3)

Advisory Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY.

Mid september the director of my program sent out an email alerting us to a few job offers EY had for MIS students. I finished my application around Sept. 20th. Later that week I got an email back saying I had an on campus interview the following week.

I found the on campus interview to be rather unorganized. First they put you in a room with some Staff from the local office then take you in to do a behavioral (resume walk through) interview with a manager through the local office. "Tell me about a time you were a leader" "What is your experience with tech, Excel, Access etc". I thought I did pretty bad as me and the interviewer didn't really hit it off she was pretty bland but the questions we're easy exactly what I expected.

Three weeks later I heard back that I had an Office Visit interview for mid november in NYC (my first choice office as indicated in first interview). They fly you in if you're far enough, put you up in a hotel the whole nine yards. Definitely take the hotel even if you're not too far so you can feel relaxed going in the day of and not worrying about traffic.

9:30 you meet in the office, Recruiters give you and other dozen or so candidates a brag slide show about how great EY, standard rankings and stuff. Then they match you up with a 'Greeter' who escorts you to your interviews for that day. Whole day felt super rushed, interviews back to back to back. My first was with a Manager, then Senior Manager and finally a case with a Partner. First two interviews we're pretty behavioral, only asked one or two questions actually and my answers turned into a conversation. Partner interview with a case was pretty intimidating but they are looking for your thought process not an answer. Case was NOT like a consulting case for MBB, I studied some frameworks but did not use them, it is a written case.

Got the call with an offer the Monday following my Friday interview.

Interview Questions
    • 20 minutes to read the case and analyze it. Case was about 6 pages long, a lot to look over in a short period of time.   View Answer

2 Behavior and 1 case.
    Behavior questions are basic, like why EY. Case study is basically to test your logical thinking.
    The interviewer are nice and the conversation are informal and relaxed.

Advisory Staff Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EY.

The interviewer just went through my resume and chatted with me. Only few behavioral questions about leadership, teamwork. And we talked about how to solve team disagreement and what is the most difficult projects I ever had and how I came through. After this, he gave me some time to ask him about my questions about EY