Edward Jones

Getting the Interview

335 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

Interview Details When deciding to transition to another career, I used glassdoor explicitly to see how employees felt about their employers. I found that Edward Jones gets high praise not only from the employees, but also the employees' family members. That was a big deal to me.

As I started to read the interview process for Edward Jones it became clear that it was going to be a long and daunting task. I saw some reviews say 6 weeks, while others said 3 months. For me, personally, from start to finish it took me 9 weeks. Here are some suggestions I would like to make for people who are considering this company.

1. No other company will make you feel the kind of support you need during the interview process. Yes, it is long and you have to go through several phone calls, one face to face, and one half day role playing scenario. It can seem endless but nobody in my experience was looking for reasons to not hire me. Once they determined if I would be a quality person with good ethics (FBI background checks) then the people who interviewed me made me feel like a number one draft pick. Incredible feeling and it was worth my time.

2. I didn't have any background experience with the financial industry. Don't talk about things you don't know. If you don't already have a series 7, then I assure you, they don't want to hear what stocks you pick in your personal portfolio. This job, although I hate to use the words, is a sales job and they want to know how much Assets Under Management (AUM) you can bring to the company. If you already have friends and family that can get you AUM, then you don't have the pressure for those of us that do not. If you don't have those people in your back pocket, then your interview should be something like you love meeting knew people, you are not afraid of rejection, and your motivation will get you through all the "No's" you are going to hear. My mentor now at the firm says, "We don't manage money. We manage people."

3. It has been said in the past reviews but I would say it again, during the day in a life phase of the interview process you need to call as many people as you can. I called about 20 in my 4 hour time frame and I did not solicit one business. I wasn't good at it. They don't expect you to be. They tried to push my buttons and my emotions but I wrote down on a piece of paper "Thank you for your time and have a good evening." Click. Done. It isn't that bad. But a lot of people go through the entire process of 4 and 5 interviews and then fail because they are afraid to make the call. The calls are professional actors. Maybe that helps you like it did me. Real people, maybe some, but not a lot will react the way they did. I think most people are reasonable, and they were not! haha.

I hope this post helps. I got hired a month ago and they are paying me to study for my exams. I take it in two weeks! If you get this far, you will either study at home or at a branch office. I am at a branch office so I get to see the daily life of a FA. It looks to be worth my time. A few obstacles in the first 2 years because of the learning curve but definitely looks and feels like a great place to work. #4 in Forbes!!

Interview Question – I don't know why this was unexpected to me, but all the face to face questions were "tell me about a time..." They didn't want to know in theory. They wanted a specific time, place, and people and the situation. To be honest, I didn't do very stellar in any of my interviews. I never do. But just be honest and humble and I believe anyone will make it through the interview phase if they try. Good luck!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they offered a percentage of my previous salary during the study phase and a substantial pay increase once I pass and get a "Can Sell" date, which every trainee strives for.

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

Kansas City, KS (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in August 2013.

Interview Details I went through a phone interview with the corporate office, then they matched me with a Financial Advisor who had an opening. I interviewed two or three times with that FA and was offered a job at the final interview. It was pretty easy, just a two-way discussion, where I stressed what I could do and that I had a strong work ethic and am dependable.

Interview Question – It was a pleasant interview. I do remember being asked to recall an uncomfortable situation with a previous employer and relate how I dealt with it. I did so, and the FA seemed to be satisfied with my answer. Basically, the work is not that hard, especially if you know anything about the financial markets (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc). You need to be detail-oriented so that you stay on top of everything, and you should have a good personality and certainly a professional appearance because you will be dealing with clients. It is important that the clients like you and trust you, because they are the reason we come to work every day. With any luck, you will develop warm relationships with many of those clients. You are the face of the office, the first person they talk to when they call and the first person they see when they come in. You can make a real difference in how they perceive their EJ relationship. So the interviewer will be looking for someone who can make that good first impression and make clients feel welcome.   View Answer

Project Leader Interview

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in May 2010.

Interview Details General questions in a three stage interview process. Not much was asked in regards to technical quaifications. The main focus of the interviews had to do with interpersonal skills and the ability to work with others. Typical question, "How would you handle a user who is difficult to work with?"

Interview Question – How would you handle a user who is inflexable and refuses to consiser other solutions to a problem?   View Answer

Plano, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Edward Jones in March 2010.

Interview Details Very lengthy interview process, couple phone screen interviews, then a project where you have to meet 20+ people, then a day in the life of a financial advisor. Just cause you get an Interview with Jones does not mean you will get a job offer. Most people fail the last interview.

Interview Question – You have to go out and knock on doors during the interview phase, without pay. Most people are blown away by this, then there is the mock day as an FA, very challenging, you need to make a lot of calls or you will fail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very easy

Financial Advisor (FORCES) Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Edward Jones in March 2013.

Interview Details Long but not that intense

Interview Question – It was the usually interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was none, I selected an option.

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

Interviewed at Edward Jones

Interview Details I went to the website and sent in a resume. I got a email 2.5 weeks later asking me to fill out a application and to set up a time for an interview. I had 24 hours to fill out the application before the phone interview. The phone interview took about 20 minutes, it was a very pleasant experience, the interviewer was kind and patient. The interview was questions about my past employment, like when was a situation where you foresaw a problem and how did you handle it? It has now been 1 week since my phone interview, and I have heard nothing about a face to face interview, so this makes me believe I did not move on in the process.

Interview Question – Questions were not difficult, just situations on my past employment.   Answer Question

Rockville, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in February 2014.

Interview Details Very long process

Interview Question – Basic intervie questions. A time you didnt suceed at something and how you handled it?   View Answer

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Edward Jones in March 2013.

Interview Details Did phone interview .was nice and relax. The interviewer s attitude was good and warm.

Interview Question – None. The questions were all that u can expect.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details 10 step interview process

Interview Question – If you were explaining a difficult process to someone, how would you know if he or she understood you and how would you show to him or her?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details Started with a current FA recommendation. From there to another local FA and 2 phone interviews with a hiring representative. Had to do the business plan and the door to door. The last interview was with a HR manager. Was simplistic to a fault and communication between interviewers was poor. The local FAs I dealt with were great but the last interview with the Talent Acquisition manager was very unprofessional and rude.

Interview Question – All questions were the generic interview questions. At all phases of interview I was asked the same questions.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Edward Jones

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!

Edward Jones Videos

Edward Jones – Why Work for Us?

A More Personal Approach to Success You know the financial services industry, but you may not know Edward Jones. We are a unique industry leader known for our more personal approach to business. From locating… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edward Jones interview questions and advice. All 335 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Edward Jones employees and interview candidates.