Epic Systems Corporation

Average Difficulty
1,570 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details The telephone interview was pretty easy and relaxed. There were just two questions to check whether one can really work with programming and one really wants to start living in madison after getting hired. Then i recieved a mail regarding the next assessment which would contain 3 sections, a logical based, a math based and one with programming knowledge related.

Interview Question – The math questions were abit tricky.   Answer Question

Roorkee

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details 1. On-campus PPT
2. Maths test (15 min), short time test(2 min), MUMPS language test(45 min)
3. Programming round ( 4 questions - 1:10 -2:00 hr)
4. After a week shortlist + 1 Technical and 1 HR interview (telephonic)

Programming round and the Maths test are important. Prepare for Project related stuff and HR interview questions

Interview Question – Strengths and Weaknesses, What would you imporve when you join job based upon your previous internship   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details I applied through college or university and the process is still not over.

First round was online assessment. The assessment test had four sections:

1. 2 Minute Section
2. Math
3. New Programming language

The 2-Minute section had 10 SAT based questions to be solved in 2 minutes. I think this was basically to test out your speed and how quickly you respond to things.

The Math section had 14 questions, and had pretty easy ones too. Not that bad for someone who's done Engineering. No probability or Statistics questions. Basic SAT based questions but a bit tricky.

The New Language Section introduces a new programming language. It was easy. Just know the basics of programming and read the questions carefully and you'll get through them easily. Use common sense also, don't completely go by the questions. They are tricky too.

Second Round was Programming. It had 4 questions.

1. Given some miles travelled and fuel arrays at different times, you have to calculate the MPG and MPH of a car. (Brute Force, Implementation)
2. Transportation is a process where you can swap any 2 adjacent characters in a string. Given a source and a target string write a program to print all the intermediate strings to reach from source to target. (Recursion)
3. Print all palindromes of size greater than equal to 3 of a given string. (DP)
4. Given a NxN board with 0 (unoccupied) ,1 (occupied by piece 1) ,2 (occupied by piece 2).
Coordinates of a piece is given. You can move diagonally and jump over all the pieces which are distinct from the given piece and reach to cell 0. Find longest jump following this rule.

I did all the questions and waiting to hear from them.

Interview Question – If an Apple costs $10, grapefruit costs $20 and banana costs $15, how much will a pear cost?   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details There were two rounds of written tests. Round one had two parts: first part was simple mathematics and aptitude test. It contained about 20 questions. Second part introduced a new programming language and its rules. Then there were questions based on that language. This test was supposed to test how easily you adapt to a new language. Round two was the programming round. Each candidate was given 4 programming questions. Candidates could use any language to solve the problems. Even pseudo code was allowed. Tip: Use comments in your code since the solutions are evaluated manually.
Then there were two telephonic interviews: one technical (45 mins) and one HR (45 mins) back to back.

Interview Question – Interview questions were related to any of the projects you have done. I may not reveal any of the questions asked in the hiring process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was campus selection. There was no negotiation.

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details There were three rounds: aptitude test, coding test and telephonic interview. The aptitude test had a few questions test basic mathematical and logical abilities. In the coding round, there were four questions, testing basic programming concepts. The telephonic interview had two parts: technical and HR. The technical part basically asked about the my experience, and the HR part was pretty general: strengths, weaknesses etc.

Interview Question – I may not reveal any of the questions asked in the interview.   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details I first had a phone screen with a developer at Epic which went well. It was just a background check and he told me about what Epic does etc. It ended with a simple coding question.
This was followed by a proctored skills test a week later. This will take around 3-4 hours to complete and contains math and coding questions. There weren't too hard and with a little preparation, it is crackable. I didn't get through this round.

Interview Question – There was nothing too difficult or unexpected I felt   Answer Question

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in July 2014.

Interview Details I first submitted an application online which just asked for some general information, resume, and an unofficial transcript from your university. GPA is a really important component for them so keep that in mind (but I don't think it will necessarily make or break the entire process). I also had a friend of mine who currently works at Epic put in a referral for me to help out.

Within a few days, they contacted me to set up a phone interview which was really basic and nothing very intense. Basically asked how you heard about Epic, why you want to work there, and then the person talked about the position and what it's like. At the end of it, there was time for questions and my interviewer asked if I had any other offers or things on the table. I told them about my other job offer (which I think, in the end, put some pressure on them to hurry up the process).

For my situation, they got back to me within a week to take the skills assessment test. This. Was. Challening. I am not a math/logic/programmer by any means but I tried my best. It was a series of algebraic, word, logic, and grammar problems. They also have a programming section which EVERY Epic employee is required to take (regardless of the position you are applying for). Just have a calculator and scratch paper at the ready. There was also a personality test thing that you had to take so that they can gauge what kind of person you are and if you would be a good fit for the company.

A few days after submitting the tests, they emailed me to set up an on-site interview. I lived close enough to their campus to drive but they did put me up in a hotel for the night before and paid for dinner (yay!).

The on-site interview is like a six-hour sprint with breaks in between each of your "events". You'll be in a small-ish group of others who are also interviewing for positions at Epic (some for the same spot, others for different ones) at the start and then it seems like you get combined with another group or two. The day began at 8:30am with an overview of the software, then I went off to do my 10 minute presentation in front of my HR recruiter and two other random employees (not that challenging if you like public speaking, performance).

Directly after my presentation, I had a sit-down interview with my HR recruiter. First she went over basic information, why you want to work at Epic, then looked at your references and asked what strength and weakness each of those references would say about you. Then she asked a bunch of situational and behavioral questions (mainly about group work) and then some other characteristic questions.

After the HR recruiter interview, there was a case study which was a one-sided situation of implementing the software at a new location with a few problems arising as a result. You pretend like you're an actual PM and prioritize the problems and provide some possible solutions. This was done in a small office with another one of my "group members". After filling out the sheet, a PM comes in and asks you situational questions (i.e. If this were to happen, what would you do? Why?)

Once I completed the case study, I had the opportunity to sit down with a current PM/IC and hear what a typical work day and week is like, challenges they encountered, travel expectations, etc. This is a great time to ask a bunch of questions and pick their brain.

Then came lunch with an Epic employee and a tour by another Epic employee (which was pretty tasty and neat!)

My day was finally winding down but then I had a final interview with an actual PM. He also asked about situational and behavioral type questions (again, highly focused on group work). If you haven't noticed this about Epic before, it's a highly group-oriented company. From my understanding, you will be working with the SAME close-knit project team for a very long time so they want to gauge what kind of person you are and if you can handle working with different personality types.

My day finally ended with a touch-base conversation with my HR recruiter. She went over basic things, benefits, asked about your expected salary, and if you had other offers on the table. Don't give out too many details about your other offer(s), as you can use it as leverage in the interview process. It worked to my advantage because I told Epic I needed to notify the other company within the next week.

I had interviewed on a Wednesday and they called me the following Monday, although from reading other experiences, don't expect this fast of a turn-around time for yours (unless if you also have other offers that you can leverage to your advantage!)

Interview Question – List five things you are not.   Answer Question

Corporate Trainer Interview

Corporate Trainer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details The initial interview process went well. I was invited for a phone conversation with an employee in the same position. She told me details about the job and asked questions about my life and my experiences. She made me feel comfortable in the process. Less than a week later I was invited back for a testing process, as the second stage of interview. This was difficult-- you were expected to complete a series of coding questions, grammar, mathematical, and logic questions.

Interview Question – Completing the logic testing-- particularly the coding aspect.   Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

Technical Services

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied through university career fair and was contacted to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview mainly consisted of factual confirmation on my resume (university name,graduation date, major, etc.). This included questions about any school and work experience. The interview also included some typical behavioral type questions. Interview then provided information about the position and answered any questions I had about the position or the company. The interview probably lasted 20-30 minutes.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details I applied online on the weekend and was offered an initial interview by the following Tuesday. I had the interview via phone two days later. During the interview, which lasted about half an hour, I spoke with a current project manager/implementation consultant. He was very pleasant and gave really useful descriptions of the position and training process (basically that at first you are in charge of installing a one specific software on one project and that you have plenty of support and supervision if desired. You also receive anywhere from 2-6 months training before starting the job full time). He also said that, despite the daunting 75% travel time listed in the job description, that the travel time really amounted to about four days a week, with every Friday being in the office (at least that was the case for him), and that he had all weekends in Madison, WI.

After that interview, I was asked to take an online skills assessment and a personality profile. The skills assessment was basically a miniature standardized test. They said you didn't need to study for it, and while that is true, if you haven't taken that sort of test in a while, it might be useful to brush up on general timed test-taking skills with mock intelligence tests, etc.

I was not asked to have a second round interview, but I found the entire interview process to be extremely efficient and amiable. You definitely are not left hanging for very long as to whether they want to pursue you in the interview process.

Interview Question – I didn't really feel that they asked any unexpected questions in the initial interview. It was pretty standard informational interview type questions and just offering a lot of information about the job position.   Answer Question

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!