Epic Systems Corporation

Getting the Interview

1,481 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details The telephone interview was pretty easy and relaxed. There were just two questions to check whether one can really work with programming and one really wants to start living in madison after getting hired. Then i recieved a mail regarding the next assessment which would contain 3 sections, a logical based, a math based and one with programming knowledge related.

Interview Question – The math questions were abit tricky.   Answer Question

Roorkee

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details 1. On-campus PPT
2. Maths test (15 min), short time test(2 min), MUMPS language test(45 min)
3. Programming round ( 4 questions - 1:10 -2:00 hr)
4. After a week shortlist + 1 Technical and 1 HR interview (telephonic)

Programming round and the Maths test are important. Prepare for Project related stuff and HR interview questions

Interview Question – Strengths and Weaknesses, What would you imporve when you join job based upon your previous internship   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details I applied through college or university and the process is still not over.

First round was online assessment. The assessment test had four sections:

1. 2 Minute Section
2. Math
3. New Programming language

The 2-Minute section had 10 SAT based questions to be solved in 2 minutes. I think this was basically to test out your speed and how quickly you respond to things.

The Math section had 14 questions, and had pretty easy ones too. Not that bad for someone who's done Engineering. No probability or Statistics questions. Basic SAT based questions but a bit tricky.

The New Language Section introduces a new programming language. It was easy. Just know the basics of programming and read the questions carefully and you'll get through them easily. Use common sense also, don't completely go by the questions. They are tricky too.

Second Round was Programming. It had 4 questions.

1. Given some miles travelled and fuel arrays at different times, you have to calculate the MPG and MPH of a car. (Brute Force, Implementation)
2. Transportation is a process where you can swap any 2 adjacent characters in a string. Given a source and a target string write a program to print all the intermediate strings to reach from source to target. (Recursion)
3. Print all palindromes of size greater than equal to 3 of a given string. (DP)
4. Given a NxN board with 0 (unoccupied) ,1 (occupied by piece 1) ,2 (occupied by piece 2).
Coordinates of a piece is given. You can move diagonally and jump over all the pieces which are distinct from the given piece and reach to cell 0. Find longest jump following this rule.

I did all the questions and waiting to hear from them.

Interview Question – If an Apple costs $10, grapefruit costs $20 and banana costs $15, how much will a pear cost?   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details There were two rounds of written tests. Round one had two parts: first part was simple mathematics and aptitude test. It contained about 20 questions. Second part introduced a new programming language and its rules. Then there were questions based on that language. This test was supposed to test how easily you adapt to a new language. Round two was the programming round. Each candidate was given 4 programming questions. Candidates could use any language to solve the problems. Even pseudo code was allowed. Tip: Use comments in your code since the solutions are evaluated manually.
Then there were two telephonic interviews: one technical (45 mins) and one HR (45 mins) back to back.

Interview Question – Interview questions were related to any of the projects you have done. I may not reveal any of the questions asked in the hiring process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was campus selection. There was no negotiation.

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details There were three rounds: aptitude test, coding test and telephonic interview. The aptitude test had a few questions test basic mathematical and logical abilities. In the coding round, there were four questions, testing basic programming concepts. The telephonic interview had two parts: technical and HR. The technical part basically asked about the my experience, and the HR part was pretty general: strengths, weaknesses etc.

Interview Question – I may not reveal any of the questions asked in the interview.   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details I first had a phone screen with a developer at Epic which went well. It was just a background check and he told me about what Epic does etc. It ended with a simple coding question.
This was followed by a proctored skills test a week later. This will take around 3-4 hours to complete and contains math and coding questions. There weren't too hard and with a little preparation, it is crackable. I didn't get through this round.

Interview Question – There was nothing too difficult or unexpected I felt   Answer Question

Madison, WI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details I applied online in late October, received an email a day later to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, I took a skills assessment through ProctorU a week later. Then I had an on-site interview 2 weeks later. All told, the process took 4 weeks, from application to offer.

The phone interview is about an hour long chat with a current developer. Standard interview questions are asked; be prepared to talk about a few projects and your roles in them. After this, you'll talk about the culture at Epic, the benefits of working there (the guy I talked with emphasized the lack of cubicles and perks like the subsidized cafeteria), the typical software stack, and Madison, WI.

The skills assessment is done on ProctorU. I had never taken a test using the service, but apparently it's common in certain universities for final exams and the like for online courses. When you're taking the test, you'll have another person monitoring you through a webcam looking for suspicious movement. Before the test starts, they will gain access to your computer and check your process list to close down any unnecessary programs (it irked me that they shut down Dropbox without even asking). They'll also ensure that your screen does not have any sticky notes on it, that your workspace is cleared, and so forth. They see your screen at all times. You're allowed a calculator and some scratch paper.

The assessment consists of 4 parts, the first 3 are written about elsewhere (Glassdoor has annoying post limit which necessitated truncating this part).

Final part is a four question programming test. This is pretty challenging; my biggest problem is that I often look at reference websites when writing code that uses standard libraries, and I had no such luxury for this test. As a result, much of what I wrote was pseudocode, as detailed as I could make it, and using real code when I could remember it. I also commented well and provide thoughts about time complexity and efficiency when appropriate. You can write in C, C++, Java, Python, etc. Javascript and other functional languages are unlisted if I recall correctly.

You should have an excellent grasp on string manipulation and data structures (both standard and custom). I'd recommend working out some problems on Project Euler, as one question would resemble those sort of math-based programming challenges. I won't state the specific problems, since it is worth more to a programmer to prepare generally and to be able to solve these problems on the spot.

They recommend to allow 2-3 hours to take the test, and this was pretty accurate for me. The first three sections fly by; I took 3 hours on the last section, however.

It took five days for Epic to get back to me after the assessment. Along with selecting a date for the on-site interview, I had to also take a Rembrandt personality test which is short and easy.

The on-site interview was actually the best part of the process. They covered my airfare and hotel room. You can choose to have dinner with some current employees and a few other candidates (Madison has excellent restaurants by the way, so I strongly recommend you do this!).

I arrived at the Epic campus at 8 AM the next morning. There is software demo with a current developer, who will talk about their project, the impact Epic has in healthcare, and will answer any questions. This is in a group of about 8 candidates. This group splits off so that four candidates have a conversation with a project lead about working at Epic.

After this, I met another developer and had an interview where I presented a project I had worked on and answered questions about implementation, challenges, etc.

Following this was a case-study interview with yet another developer. They present a general problem to solve and you have to create the basic system to solve it. When you are doing this they are constantly asking questions about how your system will handle extreme/odd cases. This can get pretty stressful, I suppose, but any programmer should be able to prototype a system fairly quickly.

The last person I met was my recruiter from HR who looked over my application, transcripts, and references, and asked me general questions like my strengths/weaknesses and what I was expecting in terms of salary, career growth, and so on. Be sure to know how much you are worth and ask accordingly!

After this I had lunch, toured the campus, went home.

I received an offer 1.5 weeks later. It is extremely competitive with other tech companies (the pay is basically equivalent to Google/Microsoft when considering the low cost of living in Madison) and with comprehensive benefits.

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the salary or benefits as they were very generous, but I did negotiate the details of the position and they were very accommodating.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details Phone interview for 45 min, 20 mins he asked me questions, 25 mins I asked him questions. Thought the interview was ok.

ProctorU exam took me the full 3 hours. The programming section was challenging - 5 programming questions which in my opinion got increasingly harder. I actually skipped one lol. The other sections were ok though! But I do believe this is why I didn't get an offer.

Interview Question – If you were to design an elevator, how would you do it?   View Answer

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details First step was a phone interview after submitting my application through their website, after the phone interview I had to take some online assessments that were fairly challenging. After passing the assessments I was invited to an on-site interview which included dinner with a host, a short presentation, a tour, case study, position overview, position interview, and HR interview. It was very well organized and it was clear that Epic has gotten really good at hosting large groups of recruits. It was fun to meet so many new people throughout the process and it was definitely a unique interview experience that you won't likely find anywhere else. I loved their campus and everyone there seemed happy to be there. I am still waiting to hear back from them about the position.

Interview Question – What would your references say are your biggest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

Interview Details Phone call (15-20m), onsite visit with aptitude, logic, behavior and contextual questions. Great practice, regardless of your goals in pursuing the company.

Interview Question – What are 3 things that you are not?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation interview questions and advice. All 1,481 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.