Exxon Mobil

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details If you interview at campus you get offer to visit and get hosted by relatively new employee. Then you sen he day doing 3-4 interviews. These will typically be by one second line supervisor, a senior technical, department head, and finally business manager. If you do great you can get a spot offer.

Interview Question – During these site visits the managers get to ask whatever they want. Some keep it to conversation and some may choose to do a situational interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a new hire not sure how much negotiation one will really do.

Interviewed at Exxon Mobil

Interview Details Campus interview, phone-interview, and 1 day site interview with multiple current employees.

Interview Question – The questions weren't overly difficult. It was more geared to ensuring the personality and interests matched the company.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Exxon Mobil

Interview Details Did not have hard interviews, until it was the last interview. Already had experience in the position they were looking for. They want leaders and people who will help the company grow in the direction of leadership (i.e. against all competitors).
Had a friendly recruiter and they took us out to dinner before the main on-campus interview.
No presentations either.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you did not get your way and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in October 2012.

Interview Details Applied through the career center at my school. Got an interview on campus the day before the career fair. They interviewed a TON of people it seemed and my interviewer was extremely laid back. He asked a few questions and the entire interview only took about 20 minutes. About two weeks later I received a call for a phone screening with no prior notification other than an email that I had been referred to hiring managers. The questions were mainly to make sure my interests lined up with the position they were trying to fill. I was told I would hear back from them within a week if they wanted to continue the process. I got a call the next day and scheduled a flight for early the next week. I was driven around and saw various areas of Houston and had dinner with newer employees the night before the interview. The day of the interview I had 4 interviews with people in my potential group and 1 cross-functional interview. I had a benefits presentation with HR then met with my manager and was given an offer on the spot. The interviews were laid back and not very many "STAR" questions but just trying to get to know me and make sure my interests lined up with the job.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Very strong starting salary and benefits.

Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details I got a first round interview for an entry level engineer position. It wasnt that bad except I was like asked 3 or 4 times in different ways questions about how I deal with change. I had an answer for maybe the first two but I couldnt use the same examples for the rest. Come in with multple examples.

Interview Question – Dealing with change.   Answer Question

Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details 5 rounds of one-on-one interviews: 3 overviews of the company (1 general about the business line, 1 general about the group within the business line, 1 specific about position); 2 interviews (one based on candidate overall fit, one based on work ethic, flexibility, etc.)

Interview Question – Discuss an experience you've had where you overcame an obstacle, how you did it and how that will help you contribute to ExxonMobil.   Answer Question

Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in May 2009.

Interview Details good experience, friendly, met with several employees

Interview Questions

Engineering Interview

Tempe, AZ (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in November 2011.

Interview Details One interview that lasted roughly 1 hour. The questions were very subjective which consisted primarily of behavioral and situational questions (i.e., describe a time when you had to deal with a stressful situation, ... a time when you didn't know the answer, ... deal with ambiguity).

Overall, it was an easy interview.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to design a system to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in October 2011.

Interview Details The process started with an online application, psychometric tests and then 3 competency questions. After a week I was offered a phone interview (competency based) which was with an external company. The lady on the phone was really nice and put me at ease. After 3 days I received an invitation for a face-to-face interview with a member of HR which went well and was again competency based. I was invited to an assessment centre which consisted of group interviews and a technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were working on a project and it suddenly changed direction   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you had a particularly difficult problme to solve. How did you go about it?   Answer Question

Baton Rouge, LA (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in October 2011.

Interview Details It seemed to me that they were looking for a candidate who could handle change. I had at least four questions about handleing change, all of them just worded differently. They had also the traditional behavioral questions. Anyways I didn't get past the first interview but I wasnt so stoked about being paid a lot of money to be in a career that didn't interest me much.

Interview Question – Tell me About a time where u had to handle change.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Exxon Mobil

Worked for Exxon Mobil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exxon Mobil Engineer interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Exxon Mobil employees and interview candidates.