ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

Geoscience Interview

I applied online - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied for an interview through school website and scheduled the interview within the week. The structure of the interview was just like I had seen on other reviews: I was asked about basically everything on my resume, down to the finest details. I was then asked about my plans for the future including long-term career goals. The interviewer then moved on the run-of-the mill interview questions ("tell me about a time when...."). The interviewer seemed to be going off of a list of questions until their timer went off signaling the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or technical - just think about times when you had to work with a team, in a diverse environment, and had to come up with a novel idea.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

It was a 30 minute, on campus interview which focused on my resume and interest in being a geologist. At the end I was asked to fill out an application online.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

The application process is a 2 round process. In the first interview there are 2 people, one from HR and one technical engineer. During this first interview they ask some competency based questions and also some questions like why Exxon, what motivates you. Besides this i got also a technical question concerning the site. In the second interview, you'll meet your supervisor.

Chemical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Typical online application followed by individual interview, questions were all behavioual based and split into sections to test different competancies: problem solving, personality, back ground, beliefs and values. All were expected to be answered in STAR format - situation, task, action and result.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you ad to presuade someone and how you went about it?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online through school recruiting and then got the first round but never got heard back, It's the first interview I ever had but it's really good experience compared other companies later on.

Interview Questions
    • If you started doing a task but couldn't find more resources in the middle part, what would you do   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I spoke with a recruiter on campus and submitted a resume during our campus' career fair. I was contacted a week or so later for an on-campus interview. The interview was entirely behavioral, "tell me about a time when you dealt with x, y, or z." The interview was pretty relaxed and the interviewer did a good job of making it seem rather informal. Be sure to prepare specific examples of projects or teams you have worked on.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked specifically whether I had experience in data analysis and making recommendations for process changes based on that analysis.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

I interviewed through college or university. Submitted resume on my college's career website and then got an email from the recruiter. I then scheduled the interview time. The interview took 1 hour.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most challenge while working in a group project?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

I was contacted by a recruitment team coming to campus that invited me to come interview with the team. I scheduled a time with the team through my university Career Center and on the day of the interview, I was walked to the interview room with an employee and was interviewed by a panel of the recruitment team.

Interview Questions
    • There was a lot of behavioral questions, no specific question jumps out as difficult, so I would recommend doing some reflection on your strengths, weaknesses and experiences.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Met at a career fair and only talked briefly but handed the recruiter my resume. Was invited to an informal lunch interview where we were introduced to the company and were able to ask any questions we had. Students were given the chance to tell about our experience. Subsequently invited for a formal interview on campus. Interview consisted of fairly standard behavioral interview questions. "Tell me about a time when..." A week or so later I was informed that I had been recommended to move on and eventually got a call from a location in Houston where I had a final phone interview before receiving an offer.

Interview Questions
    • In the phone interview I was asked what my technical strengths were.   Answer Question
    As it was an internship and the compensation was several times better than anywhere else I had heard of I did not attempt to negotiate.

Engineering Support Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2010.

I was recruited during their on-campus interview process for an internship. Attended school's career fair, dropped off my resume, and was contacted within a few days to schedule an on-campus interview. Interviewed with them the following week. After interview, probably took about 3 months to receive an internship offer. After successful internship, was offered a full-time position upon graduation.

Interview Questions
    ExxonMobil doesn't like to tell you where you'll be placed when they make you an offer. I was able to negotiate that I'd definitely be placed in Fairfax (rather than Houston) and that my pay should be higher to account for the much higher cost of living in Fairfax.

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!