ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 24 Nov 2014
Updated 24 Nov 2014

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Met the recruiter at university career fair. Got called that evening to set up an interview next day on campus. The interviewer was friendly and polite. Questions were mostly on my PhD research. All questions we based on the resume. No behavioral questions. Last 5-10 minutes were for the Q&A session. I was told that if selected for the onsite interview I would be contacted in a week or so via email.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Done through campus recruiting. Saw them at a career fair and received information to interview a few weeks later. Interview was very structured and behavioral based. There were many other applicants.

Interview Questions
    • How was your transition to college?
      Name a time when you came up with an innovative solution to a problem.
      How do you work with teams?
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Talked to them at engineering career fair and also submitted resume through career center. Got interview notification in the second week after the career fair. The interview was on the third week, and consisted of four behavioral questions, about team leadership and time/task management. The questions were not difficult but I didn't do well. I also asked the interviewer a few questions. The total time length was 50min. The rejection email came in two weeks after the interview.

Research Engineer Interview

Applied through career fair on campus. Got an on-campus interview about three weeks later. The interviewer asked me to talk about my research, emphasizing on the novelty of my projects. He also asked me some basic behavioral questions. For example: What did you do when you encounter problems in your research? What are your strengths? What are your greatest accomplishments?

Interview Questions
    • Describe how did you contribute to your research group   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Applied online via my school's career center. The interviewer who was a mid-level engineer informed me at the beginning of the interview that all of the internship positions had already been filled and that my "internship" interview was really just a preface for full time next year. It would have been nice to have been told that beforehand. Exxon really just wants to hire average engineers who aren't too ambitious and are willing to stay with the company their whole life- the interviewer reiterated this point over and over.

Interview Questions
    • What's a good decision and a bad decision you made recently?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

The interview was purely behavorial. There were no technical questions. The interview surprising did not ask "Why Exxon Mobil?" or "Why would you be a good fit in the company?". The toughest question was "What other strengths have you not talked about?"

Research Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Interview set up through a campus recruiter.

It was about 1 hour long mostly behavioral questions. Mostly about team work and leadership. Interviewer was very nice. I was told I will be hearing a from them in one or two weeks, so I am waiting.

Research Interview

Got my interview through campus recruiting event. It was a very standard interview process. The interviewer just asked questions based on my resume. I talked through the research that I have been engaged in. After that, a couple of behavioral questions, like "what is your proudest achievement?". In the end, I had some time to ask the interviewer some questions about ExxonMobil.

Instrumentation and Controls Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Applied through careers site for a new grad position. Interview took place on campus and involved two employees who would I would not be working with if I gained the position. This was only the first round of the interviewing process and I was told the second round would take place with someone I would work with and would have more technical information. Questions were all behavioral based.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you had to sacrifice quality to complete a task.   Answer Question

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

3 phone interviews with a consultant company. ExxonMobil typically does not hire direct IT support techs. Made it to face to face interview with Team Lead and via conference call the IT Manager on a Friday. Nothing difficult from a technical standpoint. Was offered the job on Monday.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Any interview is dependent on the interviewer and how well they can size up a candidate with a mix of standard HR questions and job related functions of the job.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was with the Consultant company and pay rate and benefits were all predetermined. ExxonMobil pays the contract for talent and its up to you to get the most pay from consultant companys profits on the contract.