ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014
Updated 19 Oct 2014

Senior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2014.

Initial communication was through phone interview. Phone interview was quite technical and a team interview. Questions ranged from describing past and current work and examples of technical execution and team work.

I had my on-site visit within a month and was asked to give a 1 hour technical seminar. The hiring manager invited me for dinner the night before and described the company culture and what they were looking for. The technical seminar was followed by 8, 45 minute interviews. I had an opportunity to meet both early-career and experienced researchers and some managers. Everyone was technically sound and the facility had state-of-the-art lab/pilot equipment. Questions ranged from fundamentals discussion to program management, future technology growth areas and my career interests.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were straight forward. One unexpected question was why I didn't pursue a career in academia and why industrial research?   Answer Question
    Since I was applying for an experienced position, I did negotiate. The discussion with the manager was very straight-forward and I was kept at ease. The manager did check about my request but told that the salary was firm. ExxonMobil hires for life and there will be further growth opportunities once one joins.

I would suggest looking at the complete benefits package including base salary, health insurance, 401(K) company match, pension, bonus, stock options and other intangibles like growth opportunities and work environment. Do your research and understand and appreciate what you bring to the table. Have a minimum and maximum salary range in mind.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied for an on-campus interview through the campus career services site during the annual recruitment and interview period. Met recruiter in person during scheduled interview days in student union. Duration was about one half hour, fairly typical one on one interview setup except for the approach the recruiter took.

Interview Questions
    • The recruiter essentially just looked at my resume and picked things to ask me about; but focused on more minor extracurricular activities rather than on the relevant experience that I had. Differed from the typical behavioral interview in that I wasn't able to pick the best examples from all my experiences to answer questions, but was forced to discuss the topics that the recruiter chose.   Answer Question

Pricing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

the process is stringent and laborious. I don't think there have to be 4 separate interviews to identify if a candidate is worthy of a job offer. Clearly the need for minorities is represented in the hiring practices.

Exploration Geophysicist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I had to pursue interviewers at academic and professional conferences in order to get a first interview. The conference interview is about 30 min to 1 hr and covers your interests and where you would fit into the company. The second interview came about 6 weeks later and was a site visit. I gave a research focused job talk and met with 6-7 interviews - mostly managers and supervisors. This was much less formal than I anticipated (with the exception of the talk) and was mostly just friendly discussions, behavioral interview questions, and a chance for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview was fielding questions at the end of my job talk. It was clear that the industry and academic focuses were different so I recommend thinking about your talk from the industry perspective if you are coming from academia.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

For intern recruitment: there are 3 managers and 1 HR who interview me. The process is quite relaxing. At the begining, self-intro and resume-based questions are asked. After that, technical questions like: what is stress and strain curve for different materials are asked. Other than this, it's just like chatting.

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prague (Czech Republic)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prague (Czech Republic)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Had to pass a numerical test first. Was not difficult but the issue was limited timing. Later I was invited for the 1st round interview. It was a behavioral interview (they can come up with some questions that are quite difficult to answer immediately). Later on the same day I received an invitation for the 2nd round interview with the manager and the supervisor. Again was a behavioral interview with bunch of tricky questions. Both interviews were with very nice people in a very nice and not depressing environment.

Interview Questions
    • An example when you had to learn smth in very limited time.
      An example when you didn't keep your promise.
        Answer Question
    Salary was no negotiable, take it or leave it offer

Intern Interview

I interviewed with Exxon on campus. The recruiters collected resumes at the career fair and then chose a number of candidates for a campus interview. The interview questions were mostly behavioral like tell me about a time when you took the initiative to solve a problem. Another question was tell us about a time that you had a problem with a group member and what did you do.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you run out of resources and what did you do.   Answer Question

Research Engineer (PhD) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I got an invitation for an onsite visit. I arrived the night before the interview day and I was invited to an unofficial dinner (which I believe that it was an important part of the interview--even if they call it unofficial). The next day I gave a talk early in the morning and met with several team members and team leaders (You are expected to wake up early in the morning e.g. 7.30 am give a presentation at 9.00 am and get done with the interview at 5.00pm).

It was a very nice experience

Material Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

There is two rounds. First round is submit application and especially my school results. The second round went to Harborfront office and met with my future boss. She was nice and asked me many behavioral questions. Then I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you work with technicians to resolve a conflict, especially when they are older and more experienced than you?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interviewed via a one on one college recruiting event. There was an information session the night before. I would recommend going to this if it is available. Overall, the interview was casual and consisted of mostly "name a time when" type questions. I did not receive an offer, as they were primarily looking at graduate students.