ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014
Updated Sep 10, 2014

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2013.

Was my first interview for an internship so I was not entirely sure what to expect. The interviewer was very professional - no deviation from the script. "The first question is... The second question is..." No real interaction/conversation between the two of us. Strictly questions and answers. All of the questions were behavioral, but I didn't have any experience at the time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you demonstrated yourself as a leader in a culturally diverse environment? Tell me about a time where you resolved a conflict between you and a coworker?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Easy as can be. Asked very basic questions. Why do you want to work here? What can you bring to this company that others can not?

Entry Level Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Had a first round interview on campus. Interviewed at a plant about 2.5 weeks later. Had four interviews at the plant, including one technical interview.

Told me they'd call me back in two weeks to let me know either way. Never heard back. Had to contact my on-campus interviewer to see where I stood. Never sent me my reimbursement back.

Interview Questions
    • During the technical interview, my programming proficiency was tested. Interviewer handed me a piece of white paper and told me to write a program that did ________.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Mostly behavior questions on campus, then technical questions on phone later.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in March 2011.

They came to the career fair at my university. I got selected to go to the first round of interviews. They look for experience, and ask questions how past experience or past situations and how you dealt with it. There were three different people interviewing during the interview. They would all ask questions.

Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Job was listed on University's career website where I applied during my senior year.
    There was an on campus interview followed by a brief telephone informal interview. I was invited to worksite interview during the phone call.
    Onsite interview was done by 5 Engineers with different levels of experience.
    It took a whole day to get through all the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral questions related to how one fits in a team.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiations

Cataloging Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

There was no interview. Kelly Services found me on CareerBuilder and hired me.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. I got hired for a cheap $12 an hour... they worked me like crazy and eventually I moved up to $15.

Refinery Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Trecate (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trecate (Italy)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2013.

The overall process took something like 1 month. I had first of all a personality interview/test than I was called back 1 week later to take part in another set of interviews in the Trecate Refinery. Two weeks later I had a full day of interwievs (part in english and part in italian) at the refiney with maangers and engineers. Some interviews were just about yourself and you personality, some itnerviews more problem solving type and more focused on your technical background

Interview Questions
    • Explain in detail how a refinery works and the chemical processes involved   Answer Question
    No negotiation, the salary and benefits are really good

Network Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

interviewed as contractor, so it might be different for full time employees, one round.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, if you know your stuff its a straight forward interview   Answer Question
    NA

Marketing Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2014.

I was excited about this interview, as my skills seemed like a perfect match for this position. The phone interview was with two people, and they explained their positions and roles. The first question they asked was about my education. I spoke about that. Then they asked me about my work history; I was 10 minutes into that when they interrupted me and said that my education was not sufficient and they would be in touch with the recruiter.
    Frankly, my education may not have been enough for them, however, they clearly did not read my resume. Any questions and concerns they had should have been addressed prior to the phone interview, and not in the middle of it. That being said, I have to respect the fact that they were very upfront when they realized their oversight, and did not string me along. Still, it was disappointing as I could have nailed that job.