F5 Networks

89 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Interviewed at F5 Networks

Interview Details Typical interview loop. Met with stakeholders, business owners, and managers.

Interview Question – How do you communicate detailed projects to large groups   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2014.

Interview Details Had Employee Referral and had to make a quick decision, so they got me onsite
4 (1-1) + Paper based test
1st Interview:
Drilled a lot on projects and why this is how things were, was a pretty serious guy and never smiled not even when he entered the room.
How to find a circular list and the starting point of circular list
2nd Interview:
No of 1's in a number
the next 2 power of a number
3rd Interview:
Question on hashing function (how routing tables ) are designed
4th Interview:
Implement a code to print elements in binary tree on each level (non -recursive)
5th Interview:
Systems questions (how malloc works, how is memory made of up (stack, heap))

Technical Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details campus interview, phone calls with HR and hiring manager, onsite interview with engineers and manager

Interview Question – basic algorithmic questions, nothing complicated   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online through their job listing and got a phone interview call in 3 weeks. The phone interview was as interactive one with a requirement of access to a computer so that you can demonstrate your programming skills for the asked questions on the shared screen (White Board). Questions mainly comprised of Networking basics such as difference between hub, switch and router; basic linux networking commands etc. Some other questions included data structure questions for C. Interviewer was nice and friendly. No reply after the phone interview.

Interview Question – Questions related to Python programming Language   Answer Question

Support Engineer II Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

Interview Details You start with a 30 minute phone screen. Once you pass that, you get scheduled for an in-person interview that lasts 4 hours.
The in person Interview consisted of three distinct parts. 90 minutes on Linux commands and networking;90 minutes on soft skills; 30 minutes with their recruiter. The later interviewers in the panel repeatedly asked how I thought the interview went with former group went.

Interview Question – Describe the process in as much detail as possible, the steps that occur when you load a web page i your browser   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and got a phone call in a couple of days.

First phone interview was about resume, some technical questions and two coding questions followed by Q-A, lasted for about 90 minutes. The hiring manager was nice and easy to talk with. She explained me everything about the team. I told the manager that I had another offer in hand, so I would appreciate if you could expedite the process because the work sounded like it will match my background and experience. It looked like she did not bother about it because she just wanted to go with the standard procedure. So, next round was another phone screen (questions for interview at the end).

2nd round was supposed to be 45 minutes phone screen, but interviewer called in 15 minutes late and apologized but did not extend the interview by 15 minutes. Some OOP questions, basic understanding of algorithms and then a coding question (on collabedit). This is where I was surprised. I was given 15 minutes to solve and code the problem and I completed it in 10 minutes. The answer was perfect and the interviewer also confirmed that. But I was asked if I copied it from internet because the code was perfect and covered the corner cases too. Obviously, I did not copy, so I politely said no. I believe the interviewer also told that I will be recommended for on-site interviews.

Next day, I was told that I was rejected. Reason ? they don't share. Losers! I am glad I won't be working for such a team.

Questions below (fairly easy):
1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the missing element in it. (there is only one missing element in the array).
1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the sub array with maximum sum.
2nd phone interview question: Find out if a binary tree (does not matter if its BST or not) is balanced or not. i.e. delta of left and right subtree should not be greater than 1.

Some OOP/c++ questions:
If you have an empty class like class Foo{} and you create an object of that class, what would sizeof(object) be ?
What is the difference between merge and quick sort? Complexities (best and worst case)? Explain worst case of quick sort? When would you use one over other?
What is auto_ptr (STL)? (I had c++ written on my resume, so that's the reason I was asked this question)? Can you create a vector of auto_ptrs? What kind of issues would you encounter while managing the vector of auto_ptrs?

Interview Question – nothing to be specific...all were easy, except the size of an empty object of a class. We usually don't do that, so I could only guess logically   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Chertsey, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks in November 2013.

Interview Details I got an initial email from the recruiter (HR), then scheduled with the same HR employee a quick 30 minutes interview, with simple and less-simple technical questions - no personality test. I did well, so I qualified for the second round: One hour of tougher technical questions with a support engineer. This is CCNA level and beyond (all 7 layers of the OSI model and the full TCP/IP stack) plus Linux.

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details very good hiring process

Interview Question – parse tcpdump output using peerl   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – another job offer

Network Support Engineer Interview

Network Support Engineer
Chertsey, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in November 2013.

Interview Details Initial interview went well. I had actually applied for a different role but the hiring manager proposed I look in to NSE as it matched better with my education background. Technical Interview went well, passed just above the bar and was invited for a face to face interview. I was confident that I would pass the final technical interview but it came as tough to me as they determined I actually lacked the hands on technical analysis requirement of the role. But they recommended that I apply for the role again as I have gained more experience since I had a good grasp on the theoretical aspects of the technology.

Interview Question – Communication between two computers using a cable and determining if packet will be received by the other machine.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and had a phone interview scheduled within one week.
I spoke with the hiring manager for a half hour or so. She wanted to see whether or not my resume was accurate and mostly asked questions about prior projects, languages I knew, and how I go about solving a problem.
After one week, I heard back from my recruiter who wanted to bring me on site for an interview. I had five interviews with four people and it took 3-4 hours. I was asked about many things including behavioral questions, past projects, classes I was taking. Some interviewers went through my resume and asked me about the things on it. They would drill deeper to see if I really had a good understanding of CS concepts.
Basic software engineering experience and knowledge of software design practices are important. Knowing multiple languages helps.

Good problem solving skills are critical for interviewing at F5. It's okay if you don't know something, but you need to demonstrate you could solve a problem you know nothing about.

Overall, interview process was good and the people were quite friendly and supportive. I got a tour of the facility and met many of the people I would later end up working with. There were no trick questions or really difficult problems. I don't think I was asked a single question I didn't know the answer to. If you're a good fit for the job, you shouldn't have problems here.

Interview Question – I didn't get any tricky technical questions, but I was surprised when I was asked for my favorite data structure.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Rate was good, did not negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at F5 Networks

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!

F5 Networks Videos

F5 Networks – Why Work for Us?

​​​​Aligning business strategy and the IT infrastructure The IT infrastructure is key to the success of virtually any major business initiative, from quickly integrating a strategic acquisition to bringing products to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at F5 Networks interview questions and advice. All 89 interview reviews are posted anonymously by F5 Networks employees and interview candidates.