F5 Networks Interview Questions

Updated 12 Sep 2014
Updated 12 Sep 2014

3.2

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lowell, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in September 2014.

I had applied online for this position and I got a call from the company recruiter the following week asking me details about my background. Once that was done, he emailed me a list of technical questions which I had to answer and email back within 30 minutes. They are pretty straight forward if you know your concepts. The following week, I was asked to come over for an in-person interview with the entire team.

Every person who interviewed me was very friendly, professional and had little humour as well. I felt extremely comfortably the whole time. The first person had a technical screening worth 75 minutes or so, after which I was interviewed by two people from the team discussing mostly about my background and work experience. After that I had a brief conversation with the vice-president of the company, who was also very friendly. Overall it was an excellent experience. Every one at F5 Networks handled the whole process with great professionalism, unlike few others I had interviewed for before.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very detailed. One part was related to networking were quite straight forward if you know your stuff. All the questions pertained to OSI model (L2 to L4), HTTP and SSL. Make sure you know these concepts thoroughly. The other part was all based on Unix and Linux CLI. They were all mostly basic questions and I was able to get through the entire interview process comfortably.   Answer Question
    Very convenient. I was happy with the offer provided to me.

Enterprise Account Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at F5 Networks in September 2014.

I got a call from F5's HR and he was very friendly and polite.

Asked some background information like where I'm residing and my current occupation, company and responsibilities which seemed standard.

Gave me some technical questions like;

Explain the TCP handshake, what is Autonegotiation, what is a web proxy. what is PuTTy, what is WireShark.

Interview Questions
    • Where in the Windows AD is the default folder for users?   Answer Question

Network Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in August 2014.

Applied online and got response within a day with a 30 mins technical screening interview request via phone.
    Fixed the time and spent over 45 mins chatting with the HR lady over the phone. She asked series of questions related to Networks, DNS, Linux/Unix, HTTP/HTTPs and SSL.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't prepare at all for the interview as i was not expecting that much technical questions but still i managed to pass the interview with flying colors.   Answer Question
    easy, via email.

Software Engineer Interview

I handed over my resume to them at a career fair which was held at school. After about a month, they e-mailed me to confirm my phone number. I scheduled an interview with them via phone call, and the interview was on campus. After that, all contacts were by e-mails.

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

I was cold called off my LinkedIn profile then went through a phone screen. It was 2 algorithm questions followed up by general person questions and information about the job.

I was then flown out for an in person interview. They put me up in a pretty nice hotel within walking distance of the HQ where my interview was taking place. It started off with a written test covering java fundamentals as well as a short coding problem. I then had 7 back to back interviews that lasted the rest of the day. (Lunch was purchased for me by the boss of the team I was interviewing for and over lunch it was a very informal interview, mostly me asking questions about the job and the team and getting answers)

The interviews covered asking me to design a program on a whiteboard, code on a whiteboard covering data structures and algorithms, multi-threading, concurrency as well as being asked about SQL backend and databases. They hit as many bases as possible They interviewers were good with coaching and hints. They don't expect you to be perfect which is really nice. Overall I'd say I did really well on 2 of the interviews, good on 3 of the interviews, just ok on 1 and really bombed the last one at the end of the day but still got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design an backend SQL database system for very large loads? (I have no database experience and my resume reflected this so this question really caught me off guard)   Answer Question
    A little back and forth with HR. I was able to negotiate a higher salary. They also seemed to be interviewing for multiple levels of Software Engineer and allowed me to pick to be hired as a I or a II. I was able to get a verbal agreement on an offer about a week after the interview but it took them another few weeks to get that in writing. They had some issues with getting a relocation package ready they said. This put me off some but wasn't a big deal at the end of the day.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in July 2014.

Applied online. Got call from recruiter. Set up phone interview with hiring manager in few days. Manager was very friendly. Explained about company. Asked my experience related to requirements of the position and interest in position and about the company. Asked some problem solving (DS/algorithm related) questions. They see how you approach it. Not the exact answer. Next round would have been coding related interview with team members onsite. But couldn't clear the initial screen.

Interview Questions
    • Problem solving questions - can't reveal due to policy.   Answer Question

NSE II (UNIX) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview / hiring process is very thorough and detailed, and takes about half a day of interviews. They will keep asking you harder and harder questions until you stop knowing the answers. They are not trying to disqualify you, they are trying to see where your limits are. If you have sharp linux skills, and fair to middlin people skills, you can land this job.

There was no negotiation. They offered me the highest dollar posted on glassdoor for this position, and I took it.

Technical Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Direct onsite interview in San Jose

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions on TCP, like on TCP Windowing.   View Answer

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at F5 Networks in May 2014.

Phone interview with Staffing Manager and 2 Sr. VP's supporting Global Services followed by an onsite interview with Staffing Manager, Sr. Recruiter, HR Director and VP of Global Service Delivery. Process was quick, hiring decision was even quicker!

Interview Questions
    • Describing managing/planning for large volume of recruiting   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Technical interviewer was great person. Had clear idea of what he wants and asked to the point questions...However Human Resource are lazy. Did not replied feedback promptly. Made me wait 1-2 Week.

Interview Questions
    • Which encryption algorithm is costly (32 bit cypher or 64 bit cypher)?   View Answer

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!