GEICO Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep 2014
Updated 25 Sep 2014

3.2

Customer Service Interview

Met with HR...the interviewer and l sat in seperate offices and role played different scenarios. I had to pick up phone, respond to anxious customers, angry customers. Lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations..all given the same salary

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at GEICO.

I filled out the application online and received an email the next day asking me to schedule a phone interview.The interviewer called promptly at my scheduled time. She asked a couple basic questions and about my availability. I ultimately withdrew my application because of the requirement of employees to work weekends, two major holidays, and hours that can be anywhere from 6am- midnight. I just wasn't willing to sacrifice that much time with my family.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GEICO.

Most people who posted here covered the interview process pretty well. The assessment test is really easy. I went on to the interview with the recruiter and then I was told my info will be passed on to management and will hear back in the next few days.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to persuade someone.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

H.R. is the worse ever. Took me over 2 weeks to get background approved. I had to show past W2's for conformation that my employement was real. I was off by a month on my resume on a job that was from 7 years ago. I had to write an apology to H.R. telling them I made a mistake.

Interview Questions
    • The final process they put you through a test, that makes most people freak out and leave. It's a 3 hour pressure test. This company is like a cult, and I highly recommend working for any other company. I also interviewed with 2 other companies for similar position. Their process is nothing like Geicos, it was a breeze compared to Geicos. What an awful company, and terrible H.R.   Answer Question
    No negotiation you take it or that's it.

IT Interview

I applied online through their company portal. First step was a phone screening interview, which was mostly behavioral. Second step was a on-site interview with that focused on a variety of topics including Software Development Life Cycle and OOP questions.

Product Management Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at GEICO.

Applied online and was contacted by e-mail to fill out a survey form. The survey form basically asked about availability, past experiences, what skills you have, etc. I think it might have replaced a phone screening. About a week and a half after sending in the survey I had to do an Excel test for analytical skills. Some of the questions were very specific insurance questions that I had no way of knowing, I could have been informed that I would need insurance specific questions. Still got a phone interview with someone with the PMA position after completing the test. Still mostly behavioral type questions, asked a few different ones about leadership and working in teams type stuff, more so than analytical questions. About a week after the interview I was notified by e-mail I was no longer in the application process.

Interview Questions
    • Had to know about some ratios used in insurance and how to use them to analyze situations.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I sent in a app online and got a email back saying that I was going to get a call back from HR. She called me today and asked me some general questions. I am going back tomorrow for a interview. So far this all seems pretty painless, but we will see tomorrow.

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

The hiring process is 5 steps. Initial phone interview where a recruiter mainly goes over the job details and description and asks a couple of questions confirming your resume details. This is essentially to feel out your interest for the job, lasts about 15 minutes. They then send you a link to do an online reading comprehension assessment and spatial recognition exam. If you pass they schedule a 2nd phone interview. The second phone interview is 30-45 minutes and goes in depth into your resume and job history. They ask typical interview questions, such as "describe a time when you've dealt with a difficult customer" and some specific to the job, such as "say that you wrote an estimate to repair a car door and put 6 labor hours on the estimate, which is the standard labor hours. A body shop manager approaches you and says you are cheating your customer out of a good repair because they need 9 hours to repair the door. What would you say?" etc. They are essentially looking for you to tell them how you would negotiate on the labor hours. If you do well in the 2nd phone interview, they then schedule you at a local express repair location for a role play interview. The role play interview is very in depth and not like any interview I've ever done. You are given 30 minutes plus an additional 5 minutes to go over their provided materials. It's a 20 page packet of papers with instructions, and they have a CD playing along with someone reading what's written in the instructions verbatim that lasts 30 minutes. You're also given other paperwork like fake estimating forms, a town map, a schedule to fill out, and blank checks. Essentially you are a rep for an imaginary equipment repair company and the instructions outline your job duties, how to help customers by explaining the claims process, and how to negotiate with the repair reps. Then they give you fake claims folders and you get to work. They call you on the phone twice, have you call someone once, and have a "customer" come to your "office" and have a "repair rep" come to your "office". One customer and one repair rep scenario they are easy to deal with, and one customer and one repair rep scenario they are more difficult to deal with. As long as you are courteous, call them by their fake names, answer their questions nicely and as accurately as you remember, and negotiate in some way with all the repair reps, you will be fine. The role play might sound a little ridiculous, but if you aren't able to handle most of what they are trying to act out with you, you are not suited to do this job. It's pretty fair of them to go through something like this considering they are going to be investing a huge chunk of company time and money to get you through 3 months of full time paid training. If you pass the role play, they will either schedule you for an interview with a manager when they're available, or have you do the interview right away if a manager's there. That final interview is pretty similar to the 2nd phone interview, but in person. If you get the job, you have to fill out paperwork for a background and credit check, motor vehicle record (to drive company vehicles) and then go for a drug test (hair test) and physical within 72 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Are you ok with going to bad parts of town to do this job?   Answer Question

Management Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Applied online, received a call from recruiter within a week. 2 phone interviews. Recruiter rescheduled the first interview an hour after it was actually scheduled. My time was wasted. Then, for the rescheduled interview, the recruiter did not call until 3 hrs after the interview, so again I was waiting around. I was more than qualified for this position, yet I know I did not move forward because I called the recruiter out for the lack of customer service that I would expect from any company.

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

I am blown away by the extensive process for interviwing for this position. Apparently GEICO makes about a $120,000 investment in each adjuster trainee they hire, so they don't play around (nor should they). I work in insurance at the moment (sales side for another carrier) and applied on line in August. About 2 weeks after I applied online, I got a call from the local manager and had a short 5-10 minute phone interview, basically explaining the position more than getting to know me. I showed up 3 days later for the "blocks" and reading comprehension test. This is REALLY not hard if you have common sense. You get a work sheet that has different 3-D images of blocks stacked on top of each other and you have to note how many blocks each block is touching. You need to go quickly through this, but be accurate. The woman beside me did maybe 4-5 images to my 10 and didn't make it through. Next was a hand out that had about 5-6 different short essays on topics. You read the essay and answer general comprehension questions. SUPER easy, no tricks on it. Just get through it quickly and correctly. Seriously, this was 9-10th grade level skills.

That was the 1st step. After that I moved on to the one on one interview. Very standard interview questions that GEICO establishes. Tell me about a time you had an upset customer, etc. No surprises or curveballs.

The toughest and hardest part was the dreaded role play. That is what is designed to get rid of any weak links or people who fluffed through the initial parts. You will get 30 minutes to listen to a cassette tape (yes you red that right) that gives you guidelines for your role as a fictional adjuster for a company. There is also a big packet of templates on the side as well as a typed out transcription of the tape. 1st, after you look at the "templates", place them out of your way. I got tripped up because I thoughtI would need them later (all but the maps and directional grids and one check). The role play is such that after you listen to the tape, you will get a sheet with 5 different incidents and the order/time in which they will come up and materials to help you. Go slow, just breathe. I think the first one was someone who came in a defective piece of equipment that you are evaluating. Be sure to remember that there is damage on the item already and you won't be able to fix the pre existing damage. It is key to ask the person how the damage happened so you can prove you are being profitable. There is a section about mapping your appointments for the day which is pretty fool proof. The two hard parts are negotiating with a mechanic in person and a company rep on the phone. In one of the scanarios the damage is above the value so you have to explain the piece is a total loss and the client gets upset. The other part is negotiating the "surly, rough around the edges" mechanic by discussing new vs used parts, labour charges, etc.

The role play is pretty exhausting. I'm not going to lie. It is rough. You don't have much time and you have SO MUCH PAPER everywhere. SO MUCH. It is tough to stay organized. They do collect all your materials so keep calm. If you aren't great at time management and thinking on your feet, this job isn't for you so don't waste a month of your life on the interview.

After that was a phone interview with a corporate recruiter (which was my 1st interaction with corporate) which was straight forwarded. Basically, they are making sure you aren't psycho :).

Interview Questions
    • I was confused a couple times because the questions would be rather industry specific despite having no background. For instance, there is a question about what would you do if you were supposed to be under 22 labor hours per month (and you are at 21) but your coworkers are at 19? The interviewer was very nice and said that GEICO is an open door company and you can always review your productivity with your manager and ask for any ideas on streamlining your performance.   Answer Question
    Pretty straight forward. You don't negotiate. You get a lower training pay while you are in AD school and after that you go to your base in the low to mid 40s with almost guaranteed raises.

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!