GEICO

Getting the Interview

513 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Model Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details online application - questionnaire - online test - phone interview from the manager - onsite

Interview Question – What are your biggest professional strengths
what do you know about GEICO
  Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details The process is easy because there is high turnover with the company. Just make sure you answer the question in a way that shows you are receptive to criticism and that you can adapt to a changing environment. one phone interview and then face to face. The job was offered to me on the spot so not difficult at all

Interview Question – why should we hire you   Answer Question

Management Development Program Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details Did a phone interview after I applied online and sent my resume and transcript.
It wasn't too bad. It lasted about 30 minutes.
All questions were just like what you get from other interviews

Interview Question – How would you handle upset customer?
How did you manage your employees on your past job?
  Answer Question

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and I received a call the next morning. The person asked if it would be fine to do a phone interview then and there but I should have rescheduled. I was still asleep and I didn't answer the questions to my full potential. I received an email 2 days later saying that they didn't want me and that I could reapply in 6 months. I was hopeful because the interviewer said that they had a training class they were trying to fill in May.

Interview Question – The strangest question was one about the job taking you into dangerous places and what would you do.
Why do you want to work here?
  View Answer

Auto Damage Trainee-New Jersey Interview

Freehold, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in February 2014.

Interview Details Long 5 step interview process. I applied online. If your resume attracts them, the steps are as follows.

1. Take an in person reading comprehension test and space visualization test. This was easy. Read some passages and answers questions on what you read. The other test is a series of 8 of the same size blocks arranged in different patterns. You have to tell them how many other blocks certain ones touch.

2. If you pass that you will get a phone interview. A recruiter basically goes over you resume and asks basic questions on background and experience. Takes 15-30 minutes. If you pass, on to step 3.

3. In person interview with a supervisor. Detailed interview took about 60-90 minutes. I was asked behavioral questions, how I would deal with certain situations, and past experiences. Interviewer takes very detailed notes. I was told I did well and would probably move on to the next step, which is the dreaded role playing interview.

4. In a few days I was set up for the role playing interview. This took about 2 hours. I was placed in a room that became a fake office. I was given about 20 sheets of instructions, guidelines, Geico ways of handling customers and situations, claims forms, rules, and info on a fake company I would be a claims agent for that would be the role playing portion. I listened to a 30 minute recording that went word for word on what the documents have written on them, and was given a pad to take notes. After the recording ended, I had 5 minutes to absorb everything and organize myself for the role playing. This consisted of 5 scenarios, where the supervisors either came in as repair facilities reps or claimants, or called on a phone. All the scenarios combined tested skills on negotiations, customer service, claims handling, organization, figuring out damages, filling our their forms, accounting for deductibles and filling out paperwork. My role was to be a claims adjuster for a fake company called Occidental, a company that sold service contracts to fix things such as phone equipment, cabinetry, heavy duty equipment, but not cars. They leave you a crappy flip phone that had external keys disabled, and didn't always pick up when I pressed send. The last scenario was dealing with an unhappy claimant. This entire interview was quite intensive and there was a lot to absorb in a short period of time. The supervisors sometimes spoke very quickly and I was sometimes rushed. As soon as the last scenario was played, the supervisors rushed in, literally just swept all the papers off the desk, and that was it. Not sure how they grade the interview, but I know they grade you on filling out the paperwork, notes taken, and how they felt you reacted with them.

I felt I did well, and one supervisor told me "good job". I asked him if he had any feedback on how I did, he said he wasn't supposed to say anything but said he thought I would move on to next phase, probably in a day or two. From what I understand, this is an interview with the hiring manager and is usually the last step before an offer is made.

Much to my dismay, they never contacted me one way or another. It has been almost a month. I emailed my original recruiter for an update on my status. She said she would find out and get back to me. She hasn't in more than a week. I emailed the HR dept for an update and also no response. It's almost a month since the interview so it's pretty obvious I didn't pass. I would have rather been told no than to be left in limbo. Quite surprised they won't contact me to let me know. I've applied to other companies and they all state they inform you one was or another.

Interview Question – Role playing interview by far. You are expected to absorb a ton of info in a short period of time and demonstrate you can apply this data in a real life situation.   Answer Question

Call Center Representative Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed at GEICO in February 2014.

Interview Details Received a phone call back after a few emails back and forth. Went through a 20-25 min phone interview and was asked to schedule testing at their corporate offices.

Interview Question – To sell items in which I had no previous knowledge of.   Answer Question

Product Management Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details Applied through campus career fair. First round I filled out a few behavioral interview questions (I think this was a substitute for a phone screen interview), Next, I took an analytical test. I never received confirmation that they received it, and it took them 2+ weeks to inform me that I wouldn't move to the next round.

Interview Question – Question regarding interest rates   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Project Leader Program Interview

Indianapolis, IN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in February 2014.

Interview Details I was only interviewed via telephone, and found the questions asked were irrelevant to the position applied for. The woman interviewing me was monotone, seemed bored with her job, asked and recorded the questions as if she has done this 100 times that day, and could not answer the questions about the company and the specifics of the available position that I had for her. I was later e-mailed that I was not chosen for the job.

Interview Question – I cannot remember specific questions, but be prepared for very informal interview questions and keep your answers short as the interviewer will seem distracted.   Answer Question

Management Development Program Interview

Buffalo, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details Ridiculously lengthy interview process (approximately 10 hours spent at Geico office interviewing/shadowing):

Applied online, was notified by the college recruiter to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited a few days later to come in for some personality testing, typing tests, and role playing exercises. After all of this I met with the college recruiter again and he advanced me onto the next step where I would meet with the Vice President of Sales and the Management Development Program Manager. This took place a week later and I had to spend about 6 hours there interviewing with higher ups and shadowing a sales agent and customer service agent. I also had to give a 10 minute PowerPoint presentation during the interview with the higher ups, which I thought I did extremely well on. Overall, I thought I had the position in the bag. My interviews went phenomenally, and I easily passed the testing. However, I was completely shocked and aggravated when I was called to say that they weren't choosing me for the position (unbelievable).

Interview Question – How do we know that you won't leave the company after finishing this program in 18 months?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Part Time Billing Technician Interview

Macon, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in April 2014.

Interview Details The hiring process is a 5-stage process and is fairly elaborate. Qualified candidates can expect to spend 5-7 hours in a rapidly thinning lobby and various other rooms before they receive an offer.

-Preliminary stage is a phone interview. It's difficult to fail this portion. It's mostly to make sure you're an eloquent speaker and you meet their minimum requirements. Also, serves to schedule a real interview date.

-First stage is a two-part computer literacy test and then a personality test.
Part 1: listen to a pre-recorded voicemail or email, then navigate multiple windows/tabs and type relevant account info (no predictable order).
Part 2: Standard WPM timed typing. Any millennials should have no problem with this portion.
Part 3: Personality test. "Do you like to be the center of attention?" Stuff like that.

-Second Stage is a face-to-face interview.
70% of the questions were regarding "How would you handle an upset customer?"
A few others "Why do you want to leave your current job?"
"What skills have prepared you for this job?"
If you pass the interview, you move on.

-Third Stage is a mock phone scenario where you have to role play the phone center environment.
You are given 20 minutes to familiarize yourself with a fictitious insurance company and it's policies. Skim the pages and HIGHLIGHT relevant phrases, you have no chance of memorizing everything! That way you can reference them quickly during your phone call. Remember the broad strokes and refer to highlights seamlessly during phone call. Your interviewers may take up phony accents and bad attitudes in an attempt to throw you off. If you lose your train of thought, salvage the situation by saying "allow me a brief moment to review your account information" instead of saying ummm or uhhhh.

Remember, try to close the deal on promotions (don't just offer it). Let the customer know how valuable the service is (it pays for itself based off your claims history) and never let them cancel their service without a trying to turn them around.

-Fourth stage is just a shadowing portion, where you listen in on an actual employee make live calls.
Relax, get to know the gist of things and see if the job appears enjoyable to you or not.

-Fifth and final stage is a face to face interview. You're not out of the woods yet, this is an actual interview by the person who actually hires you. Between studying the day before and everything you've learned over these long 7 hours, you should easily be able to craft targeted answers to ace the final interview.

Key concepts for applying with this job: Multitasking is huge. Fast paced. Unwavering professionalism regarding upset customers. GEICO loves a great attitude.

Interview Question – "How would you handle an upset customer?"   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

GEICO Videos

GEICO – Why Work for Us?

Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO interview questions and advice. All 513 interview reviews are posted anonymously by GEICO employees and interview candidates.