GameStop

Average Difficulty
47 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Burlington, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details informal and easy going in a neutral coffee shop, over a light lunch which he paid for. Whole process took about an hour. In which we disceussed my background what was expected of me and where I resided prior.

Interview Question – asking about family   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – offer counter offer and accepted offer

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at GameStop in January 2014.

Interview Details First I applied online, I was then called for an in person interview with the DM, then a phone interview with a DM from a different area and last a phone interview with the RM. All were very positive.

Interview Question – Examples of good/bad customer service, how you would handle different employee situations etc. pretty standard questions all around.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told them what I was making, they offered a bit more and I accepted.

Westland, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in January 2010.

Interview Details Pretty straightforward interview about background and what if scenarios to start with; evolved into more detailed questions regarding handling of employee issues as well as customer issues. Finally at the end - got technical with details of familiarity with the product

Interview Question – Wasn't familiar with all gaming platforms at the time   View Answer

Store Manager

I applied through another source and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details Softball interview. District manager followed a list of pre generated questions. Did not deviate from that. Seemed to be going through the motions or inexperienced at this. General questions were asked like What is best quality and worst quality?

Interview Question – What's your favorite video game?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated for a slightly higher salary. Nothing difficult. Just asked and based on my experience they accepted.

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details Best to apply through another person, such as a store manager. First interview was with District Manager who assessed understanding of company business model, management experience, and sales skills. Second interview was with another District manager who assessed mainly product knowledge and understanding of stakeholders and customer populations. Third interview was via phone with the Regional Director who asked about preceding areas plus questions about understanding of business plan and focus toward achieving multiple and complex long-term goals. The whole process took about 2-3 weeks from the time my resume and paper application were handed to the first interviewer.

Interview Question – Nothing complicated or unexpected. Questions about leadership and management behavioral experiences and examples. Most interesting question was about a favorite game and a time or example (roll-play) of how to sell it and about who to sell it to.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Tried to negotiate salary, but was offered a "yes/no" number below expectations.

Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details Interview process was pretty straight forward. Basic questions such as "How would you handle a customer complaint?" and "Can you tell me more about your job history with so and so?" Interview lasted roughly 30 minutes.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was originally offered what I was making at my current job at the time and I declined the offer from Gamestop since there was no point in changing jobs for the same pay. About 10 minutes later I received a call back with a $5,000 increase in the offer, which I accepted.

Grapevine, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details Interviewed two different times, once with the district manager and then with a store manager

Interview Question – Basic interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

Interview Details The first interview is done by template, with very by the numbers questions regarding your work ethic and ability to provide customer service. If you are African=American or Hispanic the interviewer will ask you various questions regarding your education, and various other questions they cannot legally ask regarding your living situation and personal life. They will genuinely surprised if you have a degree from any college or university.

i wish I was joking but I've worked in almost every neighborhood in the city and literally every person of color I have worked with or trained has reported receiving this treatment at some point during the interview process.

Interview Question – "What is your ideal job, including hours worked per week and pay?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. I joined the company in 2004 as a minimum wage cashier. The next year I moved up to assistant manager. Then in 2008 I moved up to store manager. In every instance my pay was determined before any conversation had taken place, my choices in every case were either accept the pay or don't move up.

The annual review scoring structure was changed in 2010 so that no matter how well you do as a salaried manager, you will never get more than a 3% raise per year.

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details I knew a District Manager. All i did was make a phone call, i met with him and i was hired.. literally that simple

Interview Question – Why i left intially   View Answer

Negotiation Details – heres what i can pay you.. OK.

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details Initially I was hired as holiday help. The interview was brief and informal, mostly a long chat with the manager.

Interview Question – A lot of people struggle with simple math questions, like if I ask how much 10% off of 70$ is.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Starting out as a part timer, wages are almost always minimum.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!