Gannett Interview Questions

Updated 10 Oct 2014

2.9

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett.

HR Recruiter reached out, asked the standard questions and scheduled a 30 min Phone Call with the Hiring manager. Hiring Manager wanted to talk more and was invited for an in-person interview a week later. Interview was about Skill Set, Experience, no unusual questions. Was given a case study to work on and was asked to meet team members, this last round was scheduled the following week.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about emerging technologies and your interest in them and how you go about integrating new tech.   Answer Question

Director of Data Governance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gannett.

The recruiter found me on social media and asked if I'd be interested in interviewing for the job. Started with the phone interview with the recruiter. He provided some basic information about the job and the company. I learned how big Gannett is. Then I had 2 more phone interviews - each with different VPs of finance. One VP was far more knowledgeable about this new role than the other. The 2nd VP helped me to understand the scale of the problem - and was impressed with the insightful questions that I asked. Showed that I had done this before. He was, however, concerned about the scale of the data governance project at my current company - which is about 7 or 8 times smaller than Gannett. He arranged for me to talk with their consultant - who had been there for 9 months working on the data governance project. When I talked to the consultant, about 1 week later, however, I can see that they weren't serious about persuing me further - due to the scale differences in the data governance project between Gannett and my current company. I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual. They wanted to know about the scale of data governance programs that I've managed. So most of the questions were around that. One question (which I was prepared for) was about how I would go about starting this new program (data governance) at Gannett. It was a brand new program that they wanted to kick off.   View Answer

News Reporter Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gannett.

Phone interview with editor then a meet with editor and managing editor face to face. They asked for and checked references. Writing test. Some sitting around waiting for the next person to become available for interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Typical questions about work history. The interview process was a breeze.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethany Beach, DE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethany Beach, DE (US)

Interviewed twice, once in OC, once in Bethany for job in Bethany Beach. Had to go to Salisbury for a drug test (mouth swab) and get a driving record completed at the DMV. The editor who hired me seemed friendly and nice, only after I was hired did I find out she was unexperienced with questionable news judgement.

Traffic Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gannett.

I had a three person panel interview. There were no real trick wuestions. I would say that they want
    someone with experience working with Wide Orbit. It was not a very stressful interview. I am hoping to get a call bak or offer soon. I think the interview went well.

HRIS Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gannett in July 2014.

Everyone involved in the interview process was very friendly and made me feel welcome. Kept me updated on further interview status frequently via email. I was given clear instructions about what to expect upon arrival. I was introduced to many individuals throughout my visit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake and what did you do   Answer Question

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Gannett in July 2014.

Loved the hiring manager, she seemed like she would be great to work for. The interview process was fairly brief and to the point, no complaints there. However, in my initial application, I provided salary history and salary expectations, which they must have completely overlooked. When it came time to make me an offer, they offered me significantly less than I currently make and acted surprised when the amount offered was not satisfactory. I'm not sure why they moved me through the whole process, knowing that the position was not within my salary range.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would go about gathering data for a client presentation.   Answer Question

Salary offered was not in line with initial expectations.

Ruby On Rails Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Interviewer doesn't care what you know, how hard you work or how much grit you may have. Either you solve his 3 puzzles or you go home. That's the interview.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Gannett.

long long long. interviewed four times plus took tests. Interviews were rescheduled twice. interviewer seemed unprepared. the questions asked at different interviews by different people seemed redundant and canned.

there were no negotiations

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gannett.

Phone interview with recruiter, then in person interview with future boss, then awkward second interview with some other members of the office. Overall not a bad experience, but I definitely walked out each time feeling like a country bumpkin (which I later discovered the hard way was just the overall culture of the company).

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any unusual questions....nothing out of the ordinary as far as an interview.   Answer Question