Garmin Interview Questions

Updated 17 Apr 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Started with 2 hr interviews. Mentioned a game that I wrote in my spare time, they loved it. They had me come to KC KS for an interview. The coding question was elementary. Theoretical questions touched subject matter no higher than Data Structure questions, such as stack vs. queue, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a stack and a queue?   1 Answer
    • What is a situation that might result in a stack overflow?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their initial offer was much more than I anticipated, I accepted it with no further regard.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

First interview over the phone. Mostly behavioral question about what you would do in certain situations. Also asked a few demographic questions. The interview wasn't very difficult. Whole interview was about 30 minutes.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Phone screen by HR, technical phone interview by person in group. On site interview with any interested groups, pretty standard. Very smart people, and know what they are looking for in a candidate, which is refreshing. More interested in your background and abilities than ability to solve (memorize solutions to) mind melting puzzles.

Interview Questions

• Mostly background information from the resume. Each round had 2 technical questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

This interview was following a career fair at a university. At the career fair they were very friendly. I was called the same day later that evening for an interview. The next day I was interviewed by 3 engineers who asked technical questions, and 1 HR person who asked behavioral questions. The technical and behavioral questions were asked separately in my case but I think they are usually asked consecutively.

Interview Questions

• Write a short program that prints out the first 5 primes. ( In Java)   Answer Question
    • Explain polymorphism in Java.   Answer Question
    • What is a difference between a struct and a java class?   Answer Question
    • Was also asked "solve this problem" type question. Where the scenario was: there are 4 items such as A, B, C, D and they all need to cross the bridge to the other side. It is dark and there is only one flashlight around. Constraints are: A takes 1 second to cross, B = 3, C=5, and D=10. 2 letters/items must cross at a time because they need to use the flashlight, and it must be carried back an forth. Find the least expensive path.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Met with recruiter at university career fair. Had thirty minute general interview the next morning with a thirty minute technical interview immediately after. General interview was fairly straightforward. Interviewer asked about previous internship job and what I would like to do at Garmin. Technical interview was also straightforward with little trickery.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe what a sample of C code was doing and how it could be optimized.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was handled professionally and with great proficiency. Non of the questions were an effort at eluding or suprising you. Know basics of c, and information about embedded systems as well as microprocessors. The first interview is an attempt to become familiar with you over the phone, while the second is an on site interview that is more technically rigorous. Again, know your c languages and you should do relatively well.

Lobby Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I found the job posting for Lobby Receptionist through Google and Garmin's website. I received an email from their recruiter at the main headquarters in Kansas five days later to schedule a phone interview the next week. The phone interview lasted 28 minutes and I was told the Front Desk Manager would be making a decision to further the process within the next few days. I then received a call later on in the day from the manager. My on site interview was scheduled for a week later in a meeting room with the Front Desk Manager and the Front Desk Supervisor. Both were very professional and friendly, the interview questions came off as the company wanting a Lobby Receptionist that fit the initial description exactly. This on site interview lasted 35 minutes and I was informed a final decision would be reached in a couple of weeks.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were given instructions that you misunderstood and what was the outcome of the situation?   Answer Question
    • What type of manager do you like to work for?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe a time when you utilized your organizational skills?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

This was a phone Interview about work history, job preferences, and behaivor questions. The recruiter asked the normal screening questions about employment and citizenship. Then she asked more about me and what my expectations and goals were. Then she asked about my experiences in supply chain and a problem I encountered in my job.

Interview Questions

• What kind of work environment do you prefer?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a supply chain management project that you haved worked on?   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Got a call after applying. I mentioned my expectation salary and sponsorship for immigration status while submitting the application. I got a call from HR and we discussed everything before the onsite interview. Since they agreed with my requirements if I qualify the interview, i accepted the onsite interview request of Garmin.

The interview went good, I thought I would get the offer as they asked me for references. Here's the issue with Garmin:
    they said I got through the technical interview, but due to approval process, they didn't offer me a job for 2 main reason
    1. salary, which they didn't give me an offer nor I negotiated.
    2. Sponsorship.
     they based the decision on the two things which I specified earlier in my application, which essentially has to be checked before giving me an interview call.

A suggestion for you guys out of my experience
    if you are in Kansas or thinking to be in Kansas city. Helath care industry company is a great company, my present employer, they pay you good than Garmin. If you think you are good at technical stuff apply for Health care company-(you now it), instead applying for Garmin.

Interview Questions

• HR questions were simple
      1. Why are you looking for a new job?
      2. What's in the company that inspires you to work for

Technical
      1. Questions from my previous project code repositories (primary key, Unique constraint, is it needed. best practices while making DB connection calls)
      2. Java Pass by value example question

1 Answer

Cartography Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

First interview was done over the phone, and they asked basic questions about background and interests. Second interview done in Olathe. The second interview involved a three part process the first part was observing someone holding the position you are applying for and getting a idea of daily operations. The second part involved demonstrating what you learned that day, while the last part was the actual interview the the department head.