General Motors

308 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at General Motors in January 2010.

Interview Details Very well structured process
Manager had a long experience within activity
Place I work was far from homeplace and distance did not worth the possibility of staying at local hotel
Looked for a near location what ended being the right choice at the time
I did not expected to be questioned on having any family or relatives working at gm

Interview Question – How to proceed on calculating a temperature exchange   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Far from home did not worth the possibility of staying in a local hotel

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details There's a phone interview, then an in person interview.

The in person interview has a few people interview you, including your hiring manager. Don't believe that is your permanent manager; my manager changed after a week, and other IT folk had their manager change only 2 weeks after hire.

Interview Question – They have some weird format they want you to answer in "what did you learn". So be prepared to explain that you learned something in every difficult previous work experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I countered, and GM said no.

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Warren, MI (US)

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details I was a freshman at the time and they hired me simply based off my resume, no hard questions.

Interview Question – What is a time you experienced a challenge and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in November 2013.

Interview Details Easy going, laid back process. They asked the typical questions of "When have you been faced with a problem and how did you overcome it?"

Reason for Declining – I chose to go to a company where I was going to learn SharePoint Development

Fuel Cell Analyst Interview

Fuel Cell Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Reviewed resume and asked specific questions about experience and current job situation. Reasons for leaving as well.

Interview Question – Reason for leaving current job   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Detroit, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details The process took over 3 months...that was the worst part of the experience. Made me really want to work there. Great interviewers...up to the last interviewer which was awkward because he was clearly not up to speed as to how long and who I had spoken to.

Interview Question – Why are you here?   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Team Leader

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at General Motors in January 2010.

Interview Details You will find that my expertise will be valuable

Interview Question – Will you work out of state   View Answer

Senior Java Developer Interview

Senior Java Developer

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Applied online and it hardly took couple of business days to get a call from HR, I was asked the routine questions like if I was willing to relocate, why was I looking for a change, what I was earning at my current job e.t.c and finally what I was expecting...and they said what I requested was in the pa range and they arranged me with an telephonic interview.

I get this call and before the interviewer gets technical he explains as to what he is looking for in the potential hire.

In the technical round I was asked all sorts of questions starting from basic to all the way to the architect level..was not very sure as to why I was asked architect/Lead level questions for a "Senior Developer" position? I thought may be he was just trying to know me or something but it turned out the HR had submitted me to Lead position without even my knowledge.

It would have been better on the HR part to submit for the position that I applied and this seems to me more intentional than accidental for reasons that I can suspect.

Interview Question – Questions that I was not expecting for the position that I have applied   Answer Question

Design Sculptor Interview

Design Sculptor
Warren, MI (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in October 2010.

Interview Details -single interviews mostly to reveal personality and approach to problems. Group interview to address technical expertise. Group of people ask you job related questions as you present a portfolio..
Overall it was very intimidating not really knowing any of the interviewers, later I realized that they were all easy going and I was really psyching myself out.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. One person asked a question the actually betrayed their ignorance of the subject they were supposed to be judging.   View Answer
  • They ask what you would do if you thought you weren't gonna complete something on time.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Downtown sends you an email...you accept or decline. It was pretty exciting, felt very much like winning something..

Quality Analyst Interview

Quality Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Was given a screening call and was called for a followup interview. The screening was a technical interview (about an hour) with the followup interview being all situations that one encounters.

Interview Question – Tell me about time when you had to promote a unpopular decision or idea.   View Answer