General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in May 2013.

Interview Details I was hired because of referral, interview is mostly behavioral, bunch of HR type questions - prepare stories about how you approached an issue, how you took initiative, how you solved something, show that you are technical and also good at communication/team work etc

Interview Question – tell us about someone's performance feedback when you dont think of them much
tell us about a time when you were given and assignment where you either fix it or give up in some fixed amount of time
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – everything is negotiable, do get it in writing
they bargain like fish-market, be prepared to say NO
the hr is outsourced, and will go back on their word

Java Lead Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details Got a call from Talent accusation team for initial screen. They ask for compensation I am expecting and explain their benefits structure. She told me that she will schedule interview with hiring manager. After a week call from hiring manager - 1 hr interview - All situational questions - He was writing everything you are saying. After 3 weeks call for face to face interview in Atlanta office - Interview with two hiring manger and written technical test. He told me written technical test is something new they have introduced recently.

No correspondence since then. Waiting for Yay or Nay.

Interview Question – Interview questions are all behavioral.
Like things you didn't like about your ex-manager, why
Describe project that you didn't want to work in but you have to and how did you cope
Describe most challenging project you have worked for
Describe situation where you change / influence team opinion about something
Describe estimation process you have used to estimate task

Java Written Test
- Write function to recursively calculate fibonacci series
- Write function to reverse string
- Write function to check is given string is palindrome
- Write function to remove duplicates from sorted array

SQL
Given a table of Employee and department with different fields

Write a query to show total employee count in each department
Write a query to show all departments and list of employee in each departments
Write a query to show list of department with more then 10 employee

I was surprised there was no technical interview for this position even though hiring manager told me that job requires 70% coding and 30% team leadership.
  Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Question – Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details two interviews, nice lady, followed the Star method of interviewing.

Interview Question – Tell me About yourself   Answer Question

Finance Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in December 2010.

Interview Details Friend gave resume to hiring manager, was the contacted by hiring manager to come to Ren Cen for interviews. Standard situational type questions with hiring manager, and then his manager. Final step was to come back once more to meet CFO of group. The next day was contacted by HR with offer. Except that this took place before and after Christmas holiday, process would have been completed within 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Asked specific question about approval process at company was leaving   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate, I told them what I wanted

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Austin, TX (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2013.

Interview Details It is a behavioral interview which means they are looking for you to explain situations where you overcame adversity. There is no white boarding or in depth technical review but there was high level discussion of the technologies they are looking for. The main goal seems to be testing how well I worked with others. During the interview I first meet with a developer, and then a PM. The interview concluded with a very brief meeting with the director for that area.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to report something negative about a coworker.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Me: I want more money; Them: No; Me: I really want more money; Them: how a about a small bump in the offer and a signing bonus. Me: ok!

Social Media Interview

Detroit, MI (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Through a recruiter at Aerotek I was contacted to go in for an interview with GM. I arrived at the GM headquarters in downtown and was lead to 17th floor after checking with the front desk. I was given a tour of where I would be working as I entered and exited. The questions they asked were simple and standard.

Interview Question – What is your dream job?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Upper Darby, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details I'd like a phone interview, then a one to one interview in person

Negotiation Details – It was for a telemarketing compny. No benefits since it was PT.

Senior Buyer Interview

Warren, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2013.

Interview Details FAST-By all accounts! Applied online on 6/6/2013. Within an hour after I applied, I was contacted for a phone screen. We walked through my resume, typical interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary. We talked salary. Then I was advised of a hiring event in Warren on 6/29. Then I was contact about 2 weeks later that I would be interviewing. Among my best interview performance of my life! I was made an offer the following Monday.

Negotiation Details – None. GM typically does not negotiate. Whatever the $$number was pre-interview is what they will offer. I have heard twice where an applicant mentioned another employer offer as way to negotiate, & GM declined. I pushed the phone interview person hard to max my number.

Lead Engineer Interview

Warren, MI (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at General Motors in January 2013.

Interview Details Lominger Interview process used for new hires

Interview Question – Tell me time when you disagreed with your management and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typical HR hiring process used by large companies