General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

2.9

Several Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lansing, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Pleasant interviewers (4 in two sessions) but they read questions prepared by a consulting/testing company that usually causes qualified candidates to be rejected. Same stubborn, muleheaded company that went bankrupt before.

Interview Questions
    • If you told a lie and were called on it, how would you react?   View Answer

Cyber Security Incident Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

I applied online and received a call from the recruiter about 4 days later. Haven't heard anything yet, but keeping my fingers crossed. My recruiter is not representing GM very well makes you think if this is the culture of the company.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question, I was my own worst enemy due to my interview anxiety   View Answer

MArketing CoOp Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

The interview is on campus and it last for about 40 minutes. The two managers are very kind and we had a great talk. It is really a talk I think. No behavior questions or academic questions. Just talk what you want to talk.

PMO Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Worked with recruiter and with the manager of the team I was interviewing for. I have a very niche skills set, so it was fairly easy to get the job. First manager was really bad, got moved within the organization to a better leader.

Had to really work hard to get the salary I wanted. Went back and forth about 5 times.

Validation Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in October 2012.

I attend my schools career fair in the fall of 2012. I went to the GM booth and talked to several recruiters, at which point I was offered an interview. At the time I was only looking for an internship, since I still had an additional year of school left. During my interview I was asked a series of situational questions. Such as given this situation how would you react. I was also asked questions where I needed to provide examples from my past jobs or class work, so that I could show my experience with different situations. I was also asked about what types of work I was interested in, such as hands on, design, testing, etc. After my interview I was told I would hear back in about 3 weeks. Exactly three weeks later I received a call from HR telling me I had been extended an offer. Once I accepted the offer I began to receive information from Red Carpet, which is GM's on boarding program. This included information about drug testing, background screening, as well as, documents to be filled out for employment.

GM uses their internships to find future employees. Think of it as an extended interview. Once I began work as an intern I was given real engineering work, and was expected to get it done. I did have plenty of help from my mentor, but I was still expected to do quality work. You get reviewed near the end of your internship and if things go well you are usually given an offer for full time employment. If you still have more than a year left of schooling you could also be given another internship.

For me I was given a full time offer as a validation engineer, that was contingent on my graduation the following spring.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a time when you had to "BLANK". Ex: had to make a quick decision without a supervisor, had to resolve a conflict within a group, had to be a leader, etc.   View Answer

Code Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at General Motors.

The entire interview is a behavior based interview format (Lominger). No code writing is asked, and the interview is a breeze if you have good experiences and aren't abnormal. Be prepared to have a long list of things you've worked on in your head, especially where you have failed or had issues with people and how you overcame them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you failed at something at a company. (there are then 5 follow up questions such as how you overcame it, what was the end result, were you ever able to apply what you learned at a later time?)   Answer Question
    No negotiation at all for me, but other had better luck.

Associate Creative Designer Interview

Recruited during school, brought in for interview with executive leaders, offered job on the spot. They were ready to hire based on three years of design relationship building during school. Not sure of process beyond that.

Production Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in May 2014.

I applied through a co-op office and received a call for interview within a week. The 30 minute interview was conducted by 2 interviewers at the company. Interview begins with general description of the company, as well as some brief questions to assess your work elegibility. They then move on to 3 behavioural questions that are tied to the position, and must be answered in Situation-Task-Action-Result format. Conclude with a Q&A session.

Accepted another position as part of my co-op program.

Financial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chengdu, Sichuan (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chengdu, Sichuan (China)

I applied through other source - interviewed at General Motors.

I was recommended by the last intern who worked there and after submitting my cv I got the chance to do the interview, which is a group interview with other two candidates. We were asked to make a plan within budget as a group and discuss before HR and present the final result to them.

Interview Questions
    • the plan was to design a trip which aims to encourage and unite the employers through a group trip. and the most difficult one is to meet everyone's interest and make the group members feel closer.   Answer Question

the internship is at least six months but i had to go abroad and study at that time

Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in September 2010.

GM was building new plant, needed people to staff plant and to implement new ideas, inter view was good had a brief medical exam, then was told when and wher to report for assignment

standard PROCEEDURE