General Motors Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep 2014
Updated 26 Sep 2014

2.9

Financial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chengdu, Sichuan (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chengdu, Sichuan (China)

I applied through other source - interviewed at General Motors.

I was recommended by the last intern who worked there and after submitting my cv I got the chance to do the interview, which is a group interview with other two candidates. We were asked to make a plan within budget as a group and discuss before HR and present the final result to them.

Interview Questions
    • the plan was to design a trip which aims to encourage and unite the employers through a group trip. and the most difficult one is to meet everyone's interest and make the group members feel closer.   Answer Question

the internship is at least six months but i had to go abroad and study at that time

Process Engineer Interview

callback interview after a job fair, followed by a phone interview, then a site visit and tour, then in person on site interviews, each in person interview was 3 interviews in a row with two people each time, the first round was with the engineering lead and another higher up, you will never see these people again most likely, the second round was with two people from the dept youre hiring into, like a shift lead and a busniess manager, the last round is with your hiring manager and whoever the second in charge after him

Interview Questions
    • pretty standard stuff, they follow the "star method" situation or task, action you took, results you achieved   Answer Question

Production Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in May 2014.

I applied through a co-op office and received a call for interview within a week. The 30 minute interview was conducted by 2 interviewers at the company. Interview begins with general description of the company, as well as some brief questions to assess your work elegibility. They then move on to 3 behavioural questions that are tied to the position, and must be answered in Situation-Task-Action-Result format. Conclude with a Q&A session.

Accepted another position as part of my co-op program.

Software Developer Interview

There's a phone interview, then an in person interview.

The in person interview has a few people interview you, including your hiring manager. Don't believe that is your permanent manager; my manager changed after a week, and other IT folk had their manager change only 2 weeks after hire.

Interview Questions
    • They have some weird format they want you to answer in "what did you learn". So be prepared to explain that you learned something in every difficult previous work experience.   Answer Question
    I countered, and GM said no.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warren, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI (US)

I was a freshman at the time and they hired me simply based off my resume, no hard questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time you experienced a challenge and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Fuel Cell Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Reviewed resume and asked specific questions about experience and current job situation. Reasons for leaving as well.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Applied online and it hardly took couple of business days to get a call from HR, I was asked the routine questions like if I was willing to relocate, why was I looking for a change, what I was earning at my current job e.t.c and finally what I was expecting...and they said what I requested was in the pa range and they arranged me with an telephonic interview.

I get this call and before the interviewer gets technical he explains as to what he is looking for in the potential hire.

In the technical round I was asked all sorts of questions starting from basic to all the way to the architect level..was not very sure as to why I was asked architect/Lead level questions for a "Senior Developer" position? I thought may be he was just trying to know me or something but it turned out the HR had submitted me to Lead position without even my knowledge.

It would have been better on the HR part to submit for the position that I applied and this seems to me more intentional than accidental for reasons that I can suspect.

Interview Questions
    • Questions that I was not expecting for the position that I have applied   Answer Question

Quality Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at General Motors.

Was given a screening call and was called for a followup interview. The screening was a technical interview (about an hour) with the followup interview being all situations that one encounters.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about time when you had to promote a unpopular decision or idea.   View Answer

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at General Motors.

Was called in for an interview after applying for a job 2 months ago. Was told ahead of time about the format which was going to be incredibly formal with a series of pre-approved questions from HR for the first round. After this initial in person interview, it took another month before I received a phone call from someone in HR at a US based office. They informed me I was a finalist and verified some of my information. Yet another month later, was informed they were not pursuing my candidacy after all. Overall, the process was very confusing and time consuming - seems like there is a big disconnect between hiring departments.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were scenario based so be prepared with examples - however, the one that got me in particular was about a task that had failed or gone wrong and how it was dealt with. I gave an scenario that was team based and they specifically needed a personal failure. Not to toot my own horn but I struggled to give an example where I alone failed in a situation.   Answer Question

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

The process took 3 days - interviewed at General Motors.

2 interviews using STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    No negotiating required.