General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Industrial Engineer - Entry Level Position Interview

Wentzville, MO (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details The Entry Level Industrial Engineer position that I applied for was contracted out by an Engineering Temp Service. The best pro about this interview was how quick the entire process worked. I was approved for an interview on Friday, had the interview on Tuesday, and told that I would know by Wednesday if I could start the job next week. Everything else about the interview was incredibly tough. It was a panel interview with 4 engineering managers that had not glanced at my resume prior to our meeting. If they had, they probably wouldn't have agreed to interview me because I was clearly not the ideal candidate for the job. All of their questions were formed from the content on my resume. Since they had not had a chance to read my resume, most of their questions were taken out of context. For example, since I just graduated with my bachelors degree, all of my Industrial Engineering experience has been through Internships; however they were asking me for examples of my work that would be expected from an engineer with two to three years of experience. At the part of the interview that I was able to ask questions, every inquiry was answered with a pompous response. Altogether, my experience could have been better had my preparation been better.

Interview Question – "What is your opinion on the American Auto Industry?"   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Met with GM at a university career fair in 2013. After the initial approach I had two interview the next day with the recruiters that were on campus. First one was strictly behavioral and the second one was a mix of behavioral and very easy technical question on programming basics.

Interview Question – They were all very simple question. Like for example: write an algorithm that determines if a word is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low Offer

Specialist Network Quality Interview

Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in April 2011.

Interview Details Email was received with date and contact detail. Meeting started on time and was held by RND Manager, VP of Sales and HR Manager.

Regular questions on background and interest in role. Really missed some questions on how to add value to team and how to resolve example cases.

Interview Question – Why are you willing to make a significant reduction in pay and role to join our organisation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, Take it or leave it offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details I initially found out about the opportunity to work for GM during a university job fair. It was one of the easier interview processes that I've been a part of. It was just a lot of situational questions. I only had one interview then I heard back several weeks later. The company seems to be trying to greatly expand their IT department over the next few years.

Interview Question – What was your least favorite class?   Answer Question

Software Developer
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details From the time I first applied online until I received an offer was about 35 days. Initial screening interview, technical phone interview, on-site interview (two sessions). Interviews are conversational and there isn't much preparation needed. Just know your resume and be able to share situational experience. Rcvd phone offer 4 days later

Interview Question – If you like to do many things like develop and lead and test, they will ask you to choose one. They will also ask you if there is anything that you hate to do. My hate was "write technical documentation" and the interviewer seemed to sympathize with me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I documented my requests for more base salary and they were all turned down. Basically, they give you a salary figure and you either take it or leave it. They say they will entertain requests, but I felt like they were just saying that because they came back very quickly with "no" to several different scenarios.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in May 2013.

Interview Details I was hired because of referral, interview is mostly behavioral, bunch of HR type questions - prepare stories about how you approached an issue, how you took initiative, how you solved something, show that you are technical and also good at communication/team work etc

Interview Question – tell us about someone's performance feedback when you dont think of them much
tell us about a time when you were given and assignment where you either fix it or give up in some fixed amount of time
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – everything is negotiable, do get it in writing
they bargain like fish-market, be prepared to say NO
the hr is outsourced, and will go back on their word

Java Lead Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details Got a call from Talent accusation team for initial screen. They ask for compensation I am expecting and explain their benefits structure. She told me that she will schedule interview with hiring manager. After a week call from hiring manager - 1 hr interview - All situational questions - He was writing everything you are saying. After 3 weeks call for face to face interview in Atlanta office - Interview with two hiring manger and written technical test. He told me written technical test is something new they have introduced recently.

No correspondence since then. Waiting for Yay or Nay.

Interview Question – Interview questions are all behavioral.
Like things you didn't like about your ex-manager, why
Describe project that you didn't want to work in but you have to and how did you cope
Describe most challenging project you have worked for
Describe situation where you change / influence team opinion about something
Describe estimation process you have used to estimate task

Java Written Test
- Write function to recursively calculate fibonacci series
- Write function to reverse string
- Write function to check is given string is palindrome
- Write function to remove duplicates from sorted array

SQL
Given a table of Employee and department with different fields

Write a query to show total employee count in each department
Write a query to show all departments and list of employee in each departments
Write a query to show list of department with more then 10 employee

I was surprised there was no technical interview for this position even though hiring manager told me that job requires 70% coding and 30% team leadership.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Question – Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details two interviews, nice lady, followed the Star method of interviewing.

Interview Question – Tell me About yourself   Answer Question

Finance Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in December 2010.

Interview Details Friend gave resume to hiring manager, was the contacted by hiring manager to come to Ren Cen for interviews. Standard situational type questions with hiring manager, and then his manager. Final step was to come back once more to meet CFO of group. The next day was contacted by HR with offer. Except that this took place before and after Christmas holiday, process would have been completed within 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Asked specific question about approval process at company was leaving   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate, I told them what I wanted