General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Java Developer Interview

Senior Java Developer

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Applied online and it hardly took couple of business days to get a call from HR, I was asked the routine questions like if I was willing to relocate, why was I looking for a change, what I was earning at my current job e.t.c and finally what I was expecting...and they said what I requested was in the pa range and they arranged me with an telephonic interview.

I get this call and before the interviewer gets technical he explains as to what he is looking for in the potential hire.

In the technical round I was asked all sorts of questions starting from basic to all the way to the architect level..was not very sure as to why I was asked architect/Lead level questions for a "Senior Developer" position? I thought may be he was just trying to know me or something but it turned out the HR had submitted me to Lead position without even my knowledge.

It would have been better on the HR part to submit for the position that I applied and this seems to me more intentional than accidental for reasons that I can suspect.

Interview Question – Questions that I was not expecting for the position that I have applied   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Senior Java Developer
Detroit, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in October 2012.

Interview Details First there was a screening call (very brief) with the recruiter; then an hour-long phone interview with the hiring manager (including technical questions); then a session of in-person interviews over an afternoon, with senior people in the department (a mix of technical questions and general questions). In all cases, there was a big behavioral focus to the questions, such as "tell me about a time when you did x....what was the outcome....what did you learn from it.....how have you applied the learning from it".

Interview Question – Give an example of when you had to make a difficult decision and how did you make the decision?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation was with the original recruiter, which was somewhat difficult since he had no idea about some of the specifics of the position. He also was not able to do any sort of negotiation on vacation time, although did seem to "go to bat" for me on the overall salary, with the hiring manager. I was able to negotiate a few more thousand than what was originally offered (which was already a good offer.)

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!