Goldman Sachs

Updated 25 Feb 2015
2,013 Interview Reviews

3.2

Strategist Interview

Maths probability, puzzles and algorithms asked.
    Initially a test taken with question based on probability and graph algorithms, The interview shortlist based in that test.
    In interview question about basic probability and puzzle asked followed by some graph algorithms qestions

Operation Analyst Interview

Campus placements. First we had the orientation in college. We had four rounds. First round aptitude, it consisted of English, math and logical reasoning. It was not very hard to crack. second round h.r interview, third round operations round1 and operations round 2. Over all the interview process was smooth and not very tough.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself
      why do you want to take up finance as a career?
      Why Goldman Sachs
      where do you see yourself 5 years down the line

Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Hiring through college. There were 3 interview rounds. the first was hr and the rest 2 were technical. It was very tough, the questions asked were random, although most were about whatever was written in the resume. However it was very interesting and dint seem lengthy even though it went on for a long time.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were general questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. However there were atleast 2 questions asked for every 1 answered.   View Answer

Analyst/Developer Interview

Lengthy, Detailed. Had to go through 10 rounds. They asked from basic to more detailed questions. Technical, Soft skills, Why Goldman....
    It went through for more than a month which was a thumbs down. And then after releasing the offer the background check and other formalities were again painful.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer really got excited and from basic finance jargon he ended up asking me to suggest a trading strategy, i found it to be an overkill as the roll was for technology and not business side.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

New Associate Programmer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

It was part of campus recruitment process. We had test after initial presentation. Test consisted of writing algo/pseudocode for 2 coding questions and an essay on why you are the best fit for goldman sachs.Then we had Group discussion and and 7/ every 10 where shortlisted for further process. All of them had a round of technical interview in which they asked to explain algos from written test and few questions on basics of JAVA and DSA.They also asked a puzzle which was pretty easy.3/every 7 where shortlisted for the next round. This round was more of a test for skills.. to see how good you are in what you claim in your resume. Once that was cleared you have a final round to see your approach to a given problems and number of ways you can reach an answer.Every round included few questions like why do you want to join GS,What are your strengths and weaknesses etc. (basic HR ques.).

Interview Questions
    • How do multiple process access a flat file and make changes?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

Telephonic interview round was arranged through consultant. Job description mentioned strong java developer and multithreading expert. They were not looking for any frameworks. I got a call on time and they person was friendly. He explained interview process will be for 35 mins and last 5 mins I can ask questions if any. The level of interview was quite high despite of my little experience. But overall good learning experience. Not sure if I will get a call though.

Interview Questions
    • How to make immutable object   Answer Question
    • How to identify intersection point of two LinkedList?   Answer Question
    • How to inherit methods from two classes in a third class?   Answer Question
    • How to pass variable from one thread to other?   Answer Question
    • What is 'final' keyword in java? Also a program to demonstrate how final objects can be modified .   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was interviewed by Goldman Sachs Services Private Limited in mid 2014. I was interviewed by almost all the potential team members.
    1st and 2nd round: Telephonic 1hour each.
    Basic Java concepts and puzzles.
    3rd and 4th Round: Global round
    I was interviewed by Global Managers (NJ/NYC). Manager questions.
    5th Round: Technical round. Technical Questions + puzzles
    6th Round: Leadership Round - Mainly focused to gauge your leadership skills and handle different situations.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews are pretty straight forward if you're good at your core technology and clear about what you're trying to achieve.   Answer Question
    Fixed salary will much more than a person can get in any service based company but not up to the mark if you consider its an Investment Bank and the talent they look for.

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

too much. close to 12-15 rounds of interview
    They may try to judge you in 1 or 2 rounds.. and rest will be discussion
    depends on the interviewer. If you are on technology..it is just usual question that any company would ask. Nothing special. Just you need to have patience to go through same questions with 10 people

Interview Questions
    • nothing special. As usual questions. reason for change etc..   Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

At first we had an aptitude test, 25 questions were technical and 15 were quantitative aptitude and logical reasoning and one was an essay about "Why you are the best fit for GS?". Next day after the pre-placement talk the results were given. Then after around 40 mins we had our GD round, the topic was "Is technology taking away the essence of life?" and then immediately after the GD results were announced. For interview round, there were 4 interviewers in different rooms. Each interviewer was asking questions of there own liking. In 1st round basic JAVA questions and algorithm questions were asked. Then results were given in half an hour. In 2nd round some high level Algorithm questions were asked and also some HR type questions about hobbies were asked. Then after about an hour in 3rd round some HR type questions to tell about yourself and some puzzle questions were also asked.

Some tips-
    1) They take your CV seriously, so don't write anything that you don't know. And know what you write.
    2) Practice aptitude questions especially C++ aptitude.
    3) Be well managed and on time during the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you are the owner of an online shop and you want to know what the user searched for today. How will you proceed ? Write an algorithm for this.   View Answer
    • Anything you want to ask me?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

It was an On-Campus recruitment process. Only one round of interview for 20 people. The interview lasted for 15-20 minutes. Questions were asked about my internship, background, pass-times and some about valuation.