Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015
2,082 Interview Reviews

3.2

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

It was a campus interview which started with around 100 students applying for the job. They shortlisted 20 candidated based on their CVs. The first round was mostly about technical questions where they asked about different market risk concepts and about basics of diffenerenct fincncial instruments. They also asked about new regulatory regime Basel 3.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you mean by Risk?
      2. What is Value at risk and what are the methods of calculating it?
      3. If 1 day 99% VaR is 10mm then what is 10 day 99% VaR?
      4. What is the underlying assumptions while scaling VaR to 10 days?
      5. What is backtesting?
      6. What are option greeks?
      7. Asked some questions about delta and Gamma like what would delta be for a long call position and other qns about different positional greeks
      8. What is liquidity coverage ratio?
      9. Compare Basel 2 and Basel 3 and then some question around new capital rules.
      10. What are your strengths?
      11. Three weaknesses
      13. Some differenct situations around team work like what would you do if you feel that other member in the team is taking your credit.. etc.
      14. Example of a situation when you had to convinve a lot of people to get tour work done.
      15. Example of a situation where you had to struggle to achieve success?
      16. Why risk management?
      17. What are your short teram and long term goals?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore) in March 2015.

Interview

It's for software development position, Initial screening based on Written test ,next 2 technical rounds , and HR,
    Written test is on Algorithms ,Data structures, and Java concepts.
    Its not very f]difficult can easily clear

Interview Questions

• Written Test on algorithms,data structures, multithrading   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore) in March 2015.

Interview

First was a telephonic round,which was followed by personal face to face interviews with the concerned team. There were 3 rounds of interviews with various managers in the concerned division.

Operation Analyst Interview

Interview

Campus placements. First we had the orientation in college. We had four rounds. First round aptitude, it consisted of English, math and logical reasoning. It was not very hard to crack. second round h.r interview, third round operations round1 and operations round 2. Over all the interview process was smooth and not very tough.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      why do you want to take up finance as a career?
      Why Goldman Sachs
      where do you see yourself 5 years down the line

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Analyst/Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore) in February 2015.

Interview

The process started with sending resume to consultants. It was then followed up by GS recruiters to fix an appointment for Super Day. I attended the written test for Java and cleared it. I was called for F2F rounds later in the week. Was asked to leave for the day after my 4th round.

Strategist Interview

Interview

Maths probability, puzzles and algorithms asked.
    Initially a test taken with question based on probability and graph algorithms, The interview shortlist based in that test.
    In interview question about basic probability and puzzle asked followed by some graph algorithms qestions

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Hiring through college. There were 3 interview rounds. the first was hr and the rest 2 were technical. It was very tough, the questions asked were random, although most were about whatever was written in the resume. However it was very interesting and dint seem lengthy even though it went on for a long time.

Interview Questions

• Questions were general questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. However there were atleast 2 questions asked for every 1 answered.   1 Answer

Analyst/Developer Interview

Interview

Lengthy, Detailed. Had to go through 10 rounds. They asked from basic to more detailed questions. Technical, Soft skills, Why Goldman....
    It went through for more than a month which was a thumbs down. And then after releasing the offer the background check and other formalities were again painful.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer really got excited and from basic finance jargon he ended up asking me to suggest a trading strategy, i found it to be an overkill as the roll was for technology and not business side.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

New Associate Programmer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

Interview

It was part of campus recruitment process. We had test after initial presentation. Test consisted of writing algo/pseudocode for 2 coding questions and an essay on why you are the best fit for goldman sachs.Then we had Group discussion and and 7/ every 10 where shortlisted for further process. All of them had a round of technical interview in which they asked to explain algos from written test and few questions on basics of JAVA and DSA.They also asked a puzzle which was pretty easy.3/every 7 where shortlisted for the next round. This round was more of a test for skills.. to see how good you are in what you claim in your resume. Once that was cleared you have a final round to see your approach to a given problems and number of ways you can reach an answer.Every round included few questions like why do you want to join GS,What are your strengths and weaknesses etc. (basic HR ques.).

Interview Questions

• How do multiple process access a flat file and make changes?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore) in January 2015.

Interview

Telephonic interview round was arranged through consultant. Job description mentioned strong java developer and multithreading expert. They were not looking for any frameworks. I got a call on time and they person was friendly. He explained interview process will be for 35 mins and last 5 mins I can ask questions if any. The level of interview was quite high despite of my little experience. But overall good learning experience. Not sure if I will get a call though.

Interview Questions

• How to make immutable object   Answer Question
    • How to identify intersection point of two LinkedList?   Answer Question
    • How to inherit methods from two classes in a third class?   Answer Question
    • How to pass variable from one thread to other?   Answer Question
    • What is 'final' keyword in java? Also a program to demonstrate how final objects can be modified .   Answer Question