Goldman Sachs Vice President Interview Questions

3.3

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2014.

Interview

The initial call to me was from the HR Team informing me about the series of telephonic interview that i've to appear. The interviews kept on happening, some were cancelled on ad-hoc basis and rescheduled at a very short notice. The questions asked by the interviewers were very structured and relevant to the work done by me. Nothing was asked outside my CV. However, the basic questions were repeated and made me felt as if they were following a script.

After appearing for all the interviews (around 5-6 rounds) up-to the level of MD, I was scheduled to visit their office for a final face to face discussion with the HOD. I was asked to book my tickets and thereafter the HR calls and informs me that the interview has been cancelled because one of the panel members was travelling out of India suddenly. Thereafter I never heard from them.

Interview Questions

• For a VP position they asked me the question about standard costing which was very unexpected.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Hiring at GS is a very lengthy process for laterals. This begins with a call from the recruiter who judges your communications to see if he / she can even present you to the hiring Manager. Once you pass this barrier – mostly not a correct barrier as the recruiter is ill equipped to assess a senior member, you are presented to the hiring manager. The hiring manager is still awaiting budget approvals – but will proceed with the interview any ways as he is just fishing for good talent without a position in mind. If the budget comes through – there will be 20 more rounds where everyone who is even remotely connected to your department will want to speak to you and provide an opinion.

Interview Questions

• Interview is purly based on luck - there is no evaluation of true talent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore) in October 2012.

Interview

Very Lenghty, take time to communicate, 1st interview happened in a week via telecon, the next one took more than a month, and then still longer

Interview Questions

• I would not say anything was difficult, it was more in communication and constant followup with HR is what takes toll   Answer Question

I had joined elsewhere

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore) in May 2011.

Interview

Hiring manager chooses the best interviewers he has in each area that the candidate will interviewed on. So it is important that the candidates resume is concise with knowledge/skills that he can defend. It is better to avoid topics/skill-sets with superficial knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Structured Credit:
      Given a portfolio of 5 names of equal weight. What is the price of a First to Default Tranche for
      a. 100% Correlation
      b. 0% Correlation
      The 5 names have a CDS spread of 50,100,200,400 and 500 respectively.

Would the price change if you are pricing a 0-20% tranche? Explain why?

Answer Question

Had better opportunities, with my current firm. After the offer I inquired into the role, team etc. and realized that the role was not appropriate for me. The new role would have meant for me to move from managing a team with senior(more experience) people to being part of a team with junior(less experience) people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore) in October 2010.

Interview

They conducted more than 15+ rounds of interview over a long period of 2 months. After initial few weeks, I stopped asking when would the interview process end. Most of the questions in different interview rounds were repetitive. Every interviewer stated a few great things about the company & gave opportunity to ask questions. Used all means of interviewing including telephone calls, video conferencing, tele-presence, telephonic panel interview, in-person interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe team management issues that you faced and how did you handle them.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore) in January 2008.

Interview

About 8-10 rounds.
    For tech division, the interviews can be quite technical. Expect about 4-5 rounds of tech, problem solving, team mgmt experience, fit rounds. Communication skills are closely monitored as it is a consensus driven organisation and there are a lot of calls to attend.

Interview Questions

• There is no one difficult question. At junior tech levels, the interviews can go into details of core java, c++ or whichever language you've specified.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Many rounds, long process that requires patience n preparation. Thoughtful process with interesting interview questions that aim to get to know you as an individual. Should be sincere and thoughtful in your answers and know what you want and don't want. Not for the faint hearted

Application

Interview

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions

• Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation

My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job.

They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   1 Answer

Negotiation

They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.