Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bangalore

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Interview Details Very Lenghty, take time to communicate, 1st interview happened in a week via telecon, the next one took more than a month, and then still longer

Interview Question – I would not say anything was difficult, it was more in communication and constant followup with HR is what takes toll   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had joined elsewhere

Vice President

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details Hiring at GS is a very lengthy process for laterals. This begins with a call from the recruiter who judges your communications to see if he / she can even present you to the hiring Manager. Once you pass this barrier – mostly not a correct barrier as the recruiter is ill equipped to assess a senior member, you are presented to the hiring manager. The hiring manager is still awaiting budget approvals – but will proceed with the interview any ways as he is just fishing for good talent without a position in mind. If the budget comes through – there will be 20 more rounds where everyone who is even remotely connected to your department will want to speak to you and provide an opinion.

Interview Question – Interview is purly based on luck - there is no evaluation of true talent.   Answer Question

Bangalore

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2008.

Interview Details About 8-10 rounds.
For tech division, the interviews can be quite technical. Expect about 4-5 rounds of tech, problem solving, team mgmt experience, fit rounds. Communication skills are closely monitored as it is a consensus driven organisation and there are a lot of calls to attend.

Interview Question – There is no one difficult question. At junior tech levels, the interviews can go into details of core java, c++ or whichever language you've specified.   Answer Question

Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2011.

Interview Details Hiring manager chooses the best interviewers he has in each area that the candidate will interviewed on. So it is important that the candidates resume is concise with knowledge/skills that he can defend. It is better to avoid topics/skill-sets with superficial knowledge.

Interview Question – Structured Credit:
Given a portfolio of 5 names of equal weight. What is the price of a First to Default Tranche for
a. 100% Correlation
b. 0% Correlation
The 5 names have a CDS spread of 50,100,200,400 and 500 respectively.

Would the price change if you are pricing a 0-20% tranche? Explain why?
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had better opportunities, with my current firm. After the offer I inquired into the role, team etc. and realized that the role was not appropriate for me. The new role would have meant for me to move from managing a team with senior(more experience) people to being part of a team with junior(less experience) people.

Bangalore

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2010.

Interview Details They conducted more than 15+ rounds of interview over a long period of 2 months. After initial few weeks, I stopped asking when would the interview process end. Most of the questions in different interview rounds were repetitive. Every interviewer stated a few great things about the company & gave opportunity to ask questions. Used all means of interviewing including telephone calls, video conferencing, tele-presence, telephonic panel interview, in-person interviews.

Interview Question – Describe team management issues that you faced and how did you handle them.   View Answer

Vice President

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Question – Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job.

They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details 12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Question – Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2010.

Interview Details You will be interviewed by at least 10 people. They don't all need to agree but should. If they do offer you it means you are viewed as "in" the team.

Interview Question – What is your core competency...if you were to do any job, what would it be? ( and don't simply say the job you are applying for...)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I declined it at first but accepted it after we clarified the position and expectations further. Be prepared to walk away if you don't get that "hell yeah!" Feeling in your gut.

Vice President

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details Be prepared for 10+ interviews

Interview Question – In my case, nothing too difficult or unexpected. Be prepared to discuss previous experiences in an insightful manner.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details Met with 10 people, either live, VC, or phone

Interview Question – When in your life have you works the hardest?   Answer Question

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!