Goldman Sachs Vice President Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014

3.3

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Vice President Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2014.

The initial call to me was from the HR Team informing me about the series of telephonic interview that i've to appear. The interviews kept on happening, some were cancelled on ad-hoc basis and rescheduled at a very short notice. The questions asked by the interviewers were very structured and relevant to the work done by me. Nothing was asked outside my CV. However, the basic questions were repeated and made me felt as if they were following a script.

After appearing for all the interviews (around 5-6 rounds) up-to the level of MD, I was scheduled to visit their office for a final face to face discussion with the HOD. I was asked to book my tickets and thereafter the HR calls and informs me that the interview has been cancelled because one of the panel members was travelling out of India suddenly. Thereafter I never heard from them.

Interview Questions
  • For a VP position they asked me the question about standard costing which was very unexpected.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Very Lenghty, take time to communicate, 1st interview happened in a week via telecon, the next one took more than a month, and then still longer

Interview Questions
    • I would not say anything was difficult, it was more in communication and constant followup with HR is what takes toll   Answer Question

I had joined elsewhere

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Hiring at GS is a very lengthy process for laterals. This begins with a call from the recruiter who judges your communications to see if he / she can even present you to the hiring Manager. Once you pass this barrier – mostly not a correct barrier as the recruiter is ill equipped to assess a senior member, you are presented to the hiring manager. The hiring manager is still awaiting budget approvals – but will proceed with the interview any ways as he is just fishing for good talent without a position in mind. If the budget comes through – there will be 20 more rounds where everyone who is even remotely connected to your department will want to speak to you and provide an opinion.

Interview Questions
    • Interview is purly based on luck - there is no evaluation of true talent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2008.

About 8-10 rounds.
    For tech division, the interviews can be quite technical. Expect about 4-5 rounds of tech, problem solving, team mgmt experience, fit rounds. Communication skills are closely monitored as it is a consensus driven organisation and there are a lot of calls to attend.

Interview Questions
    • There is no one difficult question. At junior tech levels, the interviews can go into details of core java, c++ or whichever language you've specified.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2011.

Hiring manager chooses the best interviewers he has in each area that the candidate will interviewed on. So it is important that the candidates resume is concise with knowledge/skills that he can defend. It is better to avoid topics/skill-sets with superficial knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • Structured Credit:
      Given a portfolio of 5 names of equal weight. What is the price of a First to Default Tranche for
      a. 100% Correlation
      b. 0% Correlation
      The 5 names have a CDS spread of 50,100,200,400 and 500 respectively.

Would the price change if you are pricing a 0-20% tranche? Explain why?
        Answer Question

Had better opportunities, with my current firm. After the offer I inquired into the role, team etc. and realized that the role was not appropriate for me. The new role would have meant for me to move from managing a team with senior(more experience) people to being part of a team with junior(less experience) people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2010.

They conducted more than 15+ rounds of interview over a long period of 2 months. After initial few weeks, I stopped asking when would the interview process end. Most of the questions in different interview rounds were repetitive. Every interviewer stated a few great things about the company & gave opportunity to ask questions. Used all means of interviewing including telephone calls, video conferencing, tele-presence, telephonic panel interview, in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Describe team management issues that you faced and how did you handle them.   View Answer

Vice President Interview

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions
    • Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question
    My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job.

They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   View Answer
    They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2010.

You will be interviewed by at least 10 people. They don't all need to agree but should. If they do offer you it means you are viewed as "in" the team.

Interview Questions
    • What is your core competency...if you were to do any job, what would it be? ( and don't simply say the job you are applying for...)   Answer Question
    I declined it at first but accepted it after we clarified the position and expectations further. Be prepared to walk away if you don't get that "hell yeah!" Feeling in your gut.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!