Grant Thornton Interview Questions

Updated 22 Sep 2014
Updated 22 Sep 2014

2.7

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Campus interviews

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you realized you made a mistake and had to correct it. How did you handle it and why?   View Answer
    Nonexistent. Take it or leave it.

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in November 2013.

Applied through the online recruiting portal after speaking with employees at a University Career Fair. Was called after 3 weeks and offered a phone interview, which took place the next day. At the end of the phone interview I was offered a final interview the next week. The final round interview was set up just for me (no other interviewees) round robin style with a Director, a Senior Manager, and a Partner. After promptly sending "Thank You"emails that day, I received my offer less than 24 hours after leaving the office.

My experience with this firm's recruiting is only positive. Everybody acts like a professional, but more creative and flexible and far less political than when I interviewed with the Big 4.

Interview Questions
    • Question series posed by Firm Partner: (A)Why did you choose Accounting? (B)Why public Accounting vs private accounting? (C)What do you expect from Grant Thornton as an employer?   View Answer
    I had calculated a minimum negotiation number I needed for reasonable living expenses, but the firm beat my number by $2,000 annually with great benefits including free Becker and CPA pass bonuses. For an A1 my salary is very competitive so I just signed on the dotted line with no negotiation.

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

I applied through my university's career services site. There was a 30 minute interview with a partner on campus. Very laid back, asked mostly about my Resume and why Grant Thornton. I heard back within a week and had 2nd round interviews in the office. There were 3 interviews, with a staff employee, manager and partner. Everyone was really nice. I heard back the next day. Just be yourself and ASK GOOD QUESTIONS!

Interview Questions
    • 1. If you were the lead on a GT task force to increase business, how would you go about this and how would you deal with the increasing competition?

2. Name a time when you worked in a team and you have some difficulties and how did you overcome it.
        Answer Question
    Very competitive salary and nice benefits.

Business Advisory Services, Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in November 2013.

The hiring process for Grant Thornton consisted of two rounds and a pre-interview dinner. The first round, in my situation, was at the Grant Thornton office; 30 mins with a Principal. Questions were mostly behavioral. It is pretty much a pre-screening of how you would mesh with the company. If you're a good fit, GT will extend an invitation for the final round interview along with an invitation to the pre-interview dinner. The dinner is fun! Candidates get to mingle and get to know the partners, directors, or senior managers that they will be potentially interviewing with. They do ask questions during the dinner so be prepared to answer. Then comes the final round. The final round is a 4-5 hr process. It consist of 3 interviews; partners or directors, senior manager, manager. Again, don't be timid; the GT culture is exactly everything you've been reading and hearing; assuming research about the firm has been conducted. Overall, GT was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • What was the toughest question you've encountered thus far in the interviewing process?   Answer Question
    No Negotiation.

Audit Intern Interview

campus, then superday that cosists of three interviews

Interview Questions
    • explain a time where you were expected to trust a team member in a strenuous situation   Answer Question

Summer Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

It was very laid back and more of just a test to see if you would fit in with the company. My meeting was with a Tax Senior Manager and we spent a majority of the time discussing the various options that I could go into with accounting. They sent me an offer to attend very quickly, but I ultimately had to decline.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult questions. It was primarily a discussion of the differences between Audit and Tax, as well as the differences within different sectors of Tax.   Answer Question

i had another opportunity that I had already obligated myself to during the time period.

Audit Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

The process consisted of a social, a pre-interview social, an on-campus interview, a pre-office visit dinner, and then the office visit. Overall, it took around 4 weeks. The schedule at the office visit consisted of 4 interviews, a few presentations, and lunch with a few of the associates. The whole process was focused around deciding whether you fit in with the people at that particular office. I believe my interviews were successful due the fact that I tried to talk about everything other than accounting. The partners frequently reminded us that everyone at the office visit was qualified for the position. So, I would recommend avoiding accounting conversations to differentiate yourself from everyone else. Grant Thornton tries to make the process fun, so just enjoy yourself. All of the interviews were strictly conversational. I did not receive any behavioral questions.

The offer is on a "take it or leave it" basis which is expected for an internship position.

Audit Staff Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

On campus recruiting. One interview through the campus career center with a partner. Answered questions that focused on group-work experiences, why audit, why GT, etc. Invited for second round in GT office. The office super-day lasted from 9-2. There were ice-breaking activities, tours, meetings with current employees, lunch, meeting with a partner and two interviews. Very relaxing experience.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult or unexpected questions. The majority of the interviews were behavioral.   Answer Question

Offer at Big Four

Tax Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

I applied through a conference, and interviewed at the Grant Thornton, LLP booth during the coference

Audit Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

The interview process has gone very smoothly. I am interviewing for an entry-level position and had the first round of interviews at my school. I have been invited back for an office visit and will be taking it next week. They have had numerous social events before the interviews that I have attended and it has been an enjoyable process.