Grant Thornton Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

2.7

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

First I had an on campus 1:1, then on site for 3 1:1's. Everyone was very nice, and focused mostly on interpersonal skills, with a bit of technical questioning. The offer was made promptly after the interview cycle, within a week or so. Plenty of transparency throughout.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer tried to drill in to a past experience, drawing parallels to the new position.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

In house interview lasted about 20-25 minutes and was a mix of small talk, questions like why accounting?, why Grant Thornton? why Vancouver?.. etc. Second round was a cooking class with roughly 30 other applicants. We cooked food in groups of 5, then ate the food in a business casual setting. No offer but was told I'm still in the running.

Business Advisory Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I received an interview call through my interaction with GT professionals at a Career fair

Interview Questions
    • The first round of interview was behavioral interview and I was asked number of "Tell me a time when..." questions. Also, some time was spent on resume based questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2014.

Spoke with national recruiter, and was set up with phone interview in about a month. Phone interview was pretty standard. No unexpected questions. Be prepared to answer why GT specifically, and the specific line of business within GT you are looking in. Make sure to do research on the company, as well. Know your resume very well, and have talking points beforehand.

Accounting Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2014.

Called on phone after on line application. Set up interview, conducted interview. Told me that another person would call, never happened. Emailed later that that person was unavailable. They sounded interested but waited over 2+ weeks to send request for information regarding very specific experience in reference to a new government program. I could have provided the information, but the job had a shelf life of 2 years, decided that it wasn't worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly just chit chat, nothing technical or based upon my resume.   Answer Question

CARS Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in December 2013.

My situation will not be the same as yours so this question is irrelevant. I got this positon in the most non-traditional manner.

Interview Questions
    • wasnt the questions, it was the quality of responses that were expected. It could of been as mundane as what do you do in your free time? if you anwsered biking, tanning, and skeeball, that was the wrong anwser. They want very detailed responses tha thighlight your chacter.   Answer Question
    short quick and easy.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I submitted my application through my university job board and it took about 2 weeks to hear back. I attended a pre-interview reception the day before my interview and got to talk to many current GT employees. The interview was mostly behavioral and laid back, but you could tell they wanted accounting students over finance students which makes perfect sense.

BAS Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I first want to say that Grant Thornton is an amazing place to start or continue your career. The people are so great and the work creates extreme personal and professional growth.

I initially was given a referral and received a phone call from a recruiter at Grant Thornton. We had the phone interview then, and some questions along the line of "Tell me about a time when something unexpected happened and what you did?". Also was asked to describe a time when I worked in a team and there was friction. After that phone interview, I scheduled an on-site visit for about 2 weeks later.

The on-site visit was great. I interviewed with 2 different managers and was asked mainly why I want to work for Grant Thornton and why I want to get into consulting. I was also asked about what specific types of consulting I want to get into. I was taken out to lunch with 3 other employees and everything went well. After that interview, I was called about a week later and told that everyone really liked me, but there was no budget to bring me on at that time and I would be called back when something opened up.

About 3 months later I was called by the same recruiter to set up another on-site interview with 3 different managers. This office visit was also great. I was taken out to dinner the night before the interview with 2 associates, 1 manager, and 1 other person that was interviewing. The interview the next day was great. I met so many different employees and everyone is extremely personable. I interviewed with 3 different managers and was called the next business day with an offer.

My biggest advise is to understand your personal and professional goals and how they line up with Grant Thornton has to offer. Grant Thornton highly values its culture and the "fit" with an employee. Before my interviews, read a book on how to more effectively answer interview questions, how to ask better interview questions, and I came onto this website, took every question I could find, and made sure I had an answer for every one of them. I also knew my resume very well and was able to explain everything on it. Be sure you have questions to ask the person interviewing you. Try to customize them too and not have them be the very general questions like "can you describe a typical day". Most of all, be yourself and get to know the people you will be working with.

Interview Questions
    I am currently negotiating moving expenses, however the salary offer is very competitive.

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Campus recruiting. Three weeks later had an office visit. Was given an offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were all behavioral based, typical questions   Answer Question

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I went through campus recruiting. I wanted to work in the NYC office, but had to go through my local office's recruitment and then receive a referral to NYC. I did not go to any GT events on campus, I stopped by their tabling once, and spoke with the recruiter at the career fair. Selected for an on campus interview.

The night before the interview GT had a social as all the accounting firms do. The social consisted for an hour and a half scavenger hunt, then a hour and a half social. I don't know what student has three hours to fork over in the middle of the week. I did not attend the scavenger hunt but went to the social. Laugh and talked with the recruiter briefly, a staff member extensively and she introduced me to a partner in the service line I wanted to work. He and I spoke about accounting, the position and then general things. The day of the interview I will be honest, I was like 30 mins late! However, they made me feel very welcomed, and assured me that it was okay. (Really great people). The interview was brief since I was so late! Asked me about my resume, why I wanted to work in NYC. Maybe a week later received an email congratulating me on receiving an office visit to GT NYC.

Office visit:

All the interviewees (like 30 of us) were first waiting in the lobby wondering what was happening. We were finally lead to a big conference room with goody bags, and assigned seats. After we walked around the room (mind you there are like 30 of us, the two recruiters, and the 30 office buddies all in this one big conference room) looking for our seat as the same time our office buddy was looking for us. The recruiters were frantically trying to pass out each interviewee's interview schedule. As all of this is going on you have to opportunity to grab some breakfast and talk to your buddy for a little bit. A partner comes in talks about how great GT has been for him. He came Anderson blah, blah, blah.

After the presentation my buddy and I were off to my first interview, we laughed and talked a little bit, asked him some questions about what he does, how he likes it etc.

Had three interviews, a manager, a senior manager and a partner. Besides the partner, the interviewers had only worked there less than a year. My office buddy actually cracked a joke to another staff member that the guy who was listed on my interview schedule as a senior manager definitely was not a senior manager.

Interviews were basic behavioral, resume and general questions, made sure to ask questions about their position and the firm. Interviews weren't bad at all. 30 mins each, very conversational.

After interview went to lunch with my buddy plus 4 others. Went to a Kosher restaurant that was pretty good. Had some pretty good convo, everyone seemed exactly the same and I was nothing like them. They all seemed like Big Four rejects, not saying this to be disrespectful or insult, but that is the feeling I received.

A little over two weeks later I receive an email that I have an offer. I am declining. The NYC office is nothing like my local GT office. If I had previous exposure to the NYC office, I would have not applied. Seems very disorganized, and very second best. The people were nice that I met, some really great people! But I know recruiting is supposed to paint a picture of the ideal office and in my mind if this chaotic mess is what is being put on display, I can only imagine what the actual work like is like, No thank you.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you want to work on individual?" I said "No, more corporate" He replies "But I thought you wanted to work in financial services not corporate." (In my mind I already knew this place is not for me)   Answer Question

Overall unprofessional, seems like a fallback plan more than a career goal. Not for me, but very great people.