H E B

Updated 6 Nov 2014
Updated 6 Nov 2014

2.5

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at H E B.

I was brought into a room with about 10 other people and we all introduced ourselves out loud. Then we drew a picture of where we saw ourselves working in the store and then we sold the product we had in front of us to the group

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B.

Called me a few weeks later when I applied online, got the first interview set up and was all about getting to know me and identifying what was going on in photos in a picturebook, passed the first phase and then a few days later got a call to meet and be interview with the store director. I asked a lot about the activities of the store and is it on a daily basis. It was all about getting to know me and how I respond to challenges and would be proactive in the store events. Then on the spot the director asked me to allow a background check and then when it came back they would schedule me for new hire paperwork. Was so excited! Came back three days later and signed all the paperwork during orientation and then was trained and then scheduled to work within a few days.

Interview Questions
    • I don't think they were any too difficult questions. But they asked these which could give challenge. What was the most fulfilling thing you have done and when do you go out of your way to help someone and to explain.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at H E B in October 2014.

Brief phone interview with an in-person interview the next morning. They ask questions you'd expect- why you want to work for HEB, what you think makes HEB stand out from other stores, what you like about customer service, what traits you think someone in this position should have, etc. They also showed a couple photos of situations and asked what you would do if you were in them.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult part about customer service?   Answer Question
    Pay rate is set.

HEB Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at H E B in October 2014.

I applied online after I was in the store and saw signs up that they were hiring. I received a phone call the next day from a lady who asked if I had time to answer some questions. She had all my work history in front of her, and asked me if I worked at each place. Which I thought was weird because it was all yes/no questions. "I see you used to work at this restaurant, is that correct?" - "Yes Ma'am" - "And before that you worked at this place, correct?" - "Yes Ma'am"

After "verifying" my work history, she asked me what I thought it took to be a cashier at HEB. And then she said "fabulous! Well I'm doing pre-screen phone interviews, and will call potential candidates by the end of the week for in-store interviews. If you don't hear anything by Friday, you can assume you didn't get the job."

Ten minutes after this phone call I received a rejection email.

Accelerated Software Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B in October 2014.

I had submitted my application online but had also handed them my resume during a local career fair. I believe the application online was enough to get through to the first round as I was very brief in talking with them at the fair.

Round one consisted of a non-technical phone interview which lasted roughly 15-20 minutes with maybe 8 questions. Here's the 4 I remember:

What are your future goals?

Why do you want to work at HEB?

What's been your favorite class?

Give an example of a project you've had to use C++?

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a project you've had to use C++ for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B in October 2014.

Filled out an online application, about a week and a half later was called in for an interview. Went to the interview had standard questions like , Why do you want to work for HEB, what would you do if you caught another employee stealing, etc. I was upbeat and happy during the interview and got my 2nd interview on the spot and was told I had to wait on my background check. Waited about a week and a few days then received a phone call asking if I was still interested in the position which I said yes. Went to HEB to fill out about 1 1/2 hours of paperwork then scheduled a time to come back for training on computer, they give you five hours to finish it, it took me 4. Then they show you 3 classes to pick times for, Alcohol Sellers Training 2.5 hours, Checker 1 training 5 hours, Checker 2 training 5 hours. For the Checker training bring good shoes as you will be standing on a concrete floor the entire time. Pay period runs Monday- Sunday then you get paid the following Thursday by direct deposit.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to deal with a bad customer experience and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    Based on experience with retail, I had none so 9.50 to start.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H E B in September 2014.

I applied online. I was called on Tuesday, Sept. 16 for a interview the next evening. Group Interview on Wed, Sept. 17. The hiring manager definitely wants to see a lot of personality & how you work with others. Individually, we answered the same questions in front of everyone. As a group, we had to create a commercial with combo loco deals. On Thurs, Sept 18, I received a call that evening inviting me to an interview for the following Thursday, Sept. 25. During the second interview, I was asked basic questions like why do I want to work for HEB, personality traits, & what would I contribute. I was then offered the job & signed for a background check. I received a call on Tuesday, Oct 7, stating that I was eligible for hire & asking if I could come in at 8am on Oct. 8 for orientation. At the orientation, we watched an hour long interview, signed paperwork, and received our name tags and t-shirts. Now I have to do the training later this week. I'm excited I got the job!

Customer Service Representative Interview

5 minutes of situational question. instances where you didnt get along with someone and how to managed anyway. they just want to get to know you and see if you will be a slow worker

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B.

Easy, but must have open availability to get hired faster. They're looking for customer service oriented people. Tell them what they want to hear with ways you exhibit those qualities.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you handled a difficult upset customer situation...   View Answers (2)
    None. Standard wages.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H E B.

After I turned in my application, I got a call about a week or two later for an interview. It was a one on one interview that lasted about 20-25 minutes. I got a call back about two weeks after that to offer me the position.