H E B Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 27, 2014
152 interviews

2.5

Over Night Stocker Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency - interviewed at H E B in August 2014.

Group interview for new HEB Opening. A group of 10 candidates with 2 interviewers. We were asked simple questions about our experience with the position, and split briefly into groups to preform a group activity (moving folding chairs from one place to another as a team) they were looking for communication between us, and efficiency if the jobs overall execution and completion. Followed by another group question and discussion session. Was a very friendly environment.. Even if I didn't get the job (I'll know shortly) I'm still happy I experienced an interview in the fashion.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us of a time where you and a co worker didn't see eye to eye   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in July 2010.

The interview was very casual. I had my interview in the break room and the interview asked the basic questions. Such as, experience with customers and examples of my work ethic.

Customer Service Representative Interview

5 minutes of situational question. instances where you didnt get along with someone and how to managed anyway. they just want to get to know you and see if you will be a slow worker

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Easy, but must have open availability to get hired faster. They're looking for customer service oriented people. Tell them what they want to hear with ways you exhibit those qualities.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you handled a difficult upset customer situation...   View Answers (2)
    None. Standard wages.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H E B.

After I turned in my application, I got a call about a week or two later for an interview. It was a one on one interview that lasted about 20-25 minutes. I got a call back about two weeks after that to offer me the position.

Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in July 2014.

The first interview was the phone interview - a manager will call and ask basic interview questions. Answer the questions the best you can and if they like you, they'll ask you to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview, we all sat in a semi-circle facing four managers who would later on decide who stays and who goes. The first thing we did was a little "about me" activity where we would have to present ourselves to the panel of managers and other applicants. Next, we were partnered up and did a "sell me this product" activity. You were given a random product and had to sell the product the best you could. The last activity we did was a hypothetical scenario reenactment. Each applicant was given a random scenario and was told to read it and explain/act out how they would solve the problem at hand. All in all, the group interview was surprisingly very fun. Just don't be shy, and don't be scared to get out of your comfort zone.

The final interview is a 1:1 with the UD. My UD was very laid back and seemed cool. He is the final person between you and your future career at HEB. I was asked about 10 basic interview questions. It was really easy and simple. None of the questions took me longer than 3 seconds to think about. At the end, if he likes you, you're a "GO". Be comfortable and make sure to be truthful. Bring a resume just in case!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at H-E-B?

Why should I hire you? (And not somebody else)
        View Answer
    No negotiation. A base salary was set and started filling out paperwork.

Deli Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at H E B in October 2011.

I was an internal so it was your basic group interview with all sorts of store directors, HR managers, etc. Final interview was with the Regional Merchant. The process wasn't too complicated but there are a lot of people applying for the same position.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any of the questions being too hard to answer. Learning HEB's acronyms for everything will be a challenge though.   Answer Question
    They don't really negotiate unless you're an external applicant.

Department Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 months - interviewed at H E B.

From the time of the application was submitted to the first interview was two months. First interview was with a human resource representative. Next interview was a month later and was a group interview. There were three more interviews over the next two months. Total time took five months.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you followed standard company procedures even though others wanted you to take a shortcut?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Tam Leader Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Intense. They didn't care if you knew the job description, just that they liked you. Everyone was very nice, but only one person explained the job. Be prepared to move around.

Interview Questions
    Simple. I asked when I can start.

Finance Analyst - Operations - HEB Headquarters Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at H E B in June 2014.

Contacted by HR after filling out a lengthy job application on their website. The application also asked to fill out an assessment, which took about 20-30 minutes. Contacted about 20-30 days after filling out the job application. I was initially contacted by someone in HR who asked general questions. He then emailed 7 days later to request a 'conference call via skype' interview with hiring manager.
    Interview with hiring manager and potential co-worker was mostly to get to know each other and figure out if there was a culture fit. They also asked about previous work experience and examples.

After my interview with them, NO FURTHER replies or feedback after multiple attempts, from either the hiring manager or the HR contact. Very typical of unprofessional HR organizations

Interview Questions
    • Interview was done via Skype, so I had to setup an account to be able to have the interview.   Answer Question

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!