H&M Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

2.5

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

Interview

Starts with a phone HR interview, then you get an online test, then if you get to the next round, you'll have an invitation to an assement center where you have one individual HR interview, then a group case interview, after that you might be ask to do another case interview if they want to confirm you case skill, but maybe not. Then, you'll be asked to do a leadership online test. And the final round is an interview with a manager.

Interview Questions

• Why H&M? Why retail? Quantitative and qualitative cases related to H&M businesses - inventory management, stocking, discounting, promotions, store layout etc.   Answer Question

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H&M in March 2015.

Interview

Sorry if this is long, I just want to make sure this is as detailed as possible!

I applied online at H&M and three weeks later got a call from the manager and had a phone interview asking basic questions about availability and previous job experience. He told me there were a lot of applicants and if they decide to let me go threw the next round, I would hear another call by next week.

True to his word, I got a call the next week on a Friday and was asked to come in on Tuesday. To prepare I read interview reviews on here and checked the company's website to find their mission statement and other facts about H&M(I highly suggest doing this since they have all of their info on their website and would definitely help you answer H&M related Q's during the interview as well as help you relate your experience to the skills the company is looking for in future employees). Also I don't keep up with trends much so I checked online for the latest fashion trends for spring 2015 since a lot of fashion retailers want to know you have some type of knowledge about fashion. Also I wrote down questions I would ask at the end of the interview.

On the first interview, I came in 15 min early, wearing a white button down shirt, a blazer, and a plaid skirt with tights and jewelry. I met with the assistant manager and was taken to the back of the store for a 1:1. The questions she asked were similar to the phone interview, once again asking about availability and previous work experience. Also asked questions like, "Name a time you worked well with a team." What do you plan on majoring in, in college?" "Where do you you see yourself in this company after a year?" The one question that caught me by surprise is when she said to role play and pretend she's a new employee and I'm helping her train since I told her I help train two new employees at my previous job. Towards the end one of the questions I asked was if I passed this interview how many other interviews I would have since a lot of people on here had between 2-4 interviews. She told me that she was actually going to approve me to go on one final interview the next week! At the of the interview I signed a background check.

Today was my last interview and I went in wearing a beige sweater and a pleated skirt with tights with a necklace. Like many people on here who had the last interview with two managers, one of them didn't show up so I had another 1:1, but this time with store manager. The same questions were asked once again about my previous jobs, school, and availability. Other questions asked was a time you helped a difficult customer, what set H&M about from other clothing stores, can you work in a fast paced environment, etc. I asked questions about how the store was ran and duties and responsibilities. I was the offered the job on the spot and had to sign paperwork.

I guess some tips I can offer that will hopefully help is to dress fashionably of course. If you can, dress wearing something that's on trend. If not dress professionally. The interview dress code is really laid back, they want to know your sense of style and individuality! For most question asked I made sure to relate it with previous experience like, "Can you handle feedback?" I said yes and use my experience at my last job were I wasn't trained and how I would always ask for feedback, ways I can improve, and always asked questions. Make sure to keep eye contact, try to smile, and show that you're determined and know about the company and you should do fine! H&M is all giving out opportunities as long as you're dedicated, determined, and work hard, so even if you have no job experience or not retail experience (like me) you can still have the chance to get hired! Good luck and hope this was helpful!!

Interview Questions

• Name a time you helped a difficult customer.   1 Answer
    • Name a time where you had bad and good customer service.   1 Answer
    • Name a time were showed leadership.   1 Answer
    • Can you handle feedback well?   Answer Question

Department Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at H&M in April 2015.

Interview

1) online application
          - two assessment tests after you fill out application.
    2) about two weeks later I got a call from a recruiter and had a phone interview which lasted 10-15 mins. Very easy and basic questions (though you will be asked to have examples for certain situations). Don't forget to have lots of energy even if it is over the phone.
    3) Got an email three days later setting up a group interview. This is where it gets fun. During the group interview we had to do a lot of role-playing it definitely shows how you work with others and deal with stress. Not going to give any specific activities we did only because it might vary from interview to interview. Right after 4 hours they break the group off for individual interviews. Dress comfortably but fashionably. Skinny jeans and flats are great to wear.
    4) got a email the very next day telling me to come in for a 1:1 interview the next week. If you get this email or call that usually means you got the job. This one lasts for about an hour and I filled out my paperwork during this one.

Total time 4 weeks

BE YOURSELF! !!!!! Have lots of energy and don't let nerves get the best of you. Tattoos and piercings are accepted (even in management roles). The recruiters and store managers you meet are very laid back and positive.

Sales Advisor - Full Time Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&M (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

I went for a job fair. It was pretty casual. There were many people who are processing interviews and I had to wait for minutes. The manager came to me for an interview. He started to say hello and introduce himself and it went really well. But the interview was pretty long than I had expected. He asked me about 10 questions. I tried to answer what I think of. I think they really care about my previous experience.

International Talent Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at H&M (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)).

Interview

First step was phone interview with a Controller at H&M, general questions like why H&M and why this program. Second step was online tests, which included English, numerical, mail-inbox simulation and IQ. Third step was case interview which consisted of smaller case questions and a final "guesstimate". Fourth step was an interview with a person from the HR department in Stockholm, which focused on CV and personality.

Interview Questions

• A situation where someone failed and you stepped in and were more successful?   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Présentation 10min on the company than video " in the Life of a sales advisor at Zara"
    Than some one from the company asked 2 questions in a 1 to 1 interview . The recrutement process was a joke. They didn't tried to get to know the applicants

IT Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at H&M (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in March 2015.

Interview

First step was an online test, four different tests (English, mail-inbox, numerical problem solving).
    Second step was an assessment day at their office with a 1:1, a group interview and two short essays; one problem solving (Tills not working on a busy day) and the other was to describe where I would see myself in three years within H&M.

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Interview

telephone interview with a person from head office; first interview in store with the visual manager and department supervisor; second interview in store with the visual manager again and assistant manager

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself; What do you know about the company?   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Advisor Interview

Interview

I was contacted within 2 weeks of applying online. First I was contacted to do a quick phone interview. I was then called into the store to do an interview. I only had to do one interview with a department manager whereas other employees had to do a follow up interview. I was asked typical customer service questions. They also expect you to do research on the company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

Interview

What seemed like a great opportunity, I committed myself to the recruitment process. It first began with a 45min interview, after which I was invited to take a skills test. I scored above average on the lengthy test, and looked forward to an answer determining if I would be invited to the final assessment. I waited and then emailed my HR contact as the final assessment date got closer, to which she never responded to, unlike my past inquiries. The date passed by with no response.
    I understand not responding to the countless applications H&M receive, but to not follow up on a candidate that has sacrificed time to be partake in interviews and test is disrespectful.

Interview Questions

• Interview was straight forward.
      Why do you want to work in the fashion industry?

Answer Question