Hobby Lobby

Updated 7 Nov 2014
Updated 7 Nov 2014

2.2

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garland, TX (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in November 2014.

It was actually a pretty easy interview! The questions were easy. They're just questions interviewers would ask in interviews like what are your strengths, weakness, achieve above and beyond for a customer, good experience, bad experience, etc. there was a math part of the test and it's fairly easy. I only had trouble with doing 7 1/2 sales tax since I'm not so good with decimals, but the manager let me use a calculator. Overall, you just have to relax and talk a little bit more than you should! I was offered on the spot for seasonal for $10/hr.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate at all. Being offered $10 while working at a store for $8.50 calls in for a win!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Lengthy. They ask a lot of questions about retail background. I was told that I would be working on the floor...after hired, they expected me to be a cashier, which I never agreed to.

Interview Questions
    • They give you a math test...No one even graded mine.   View Answer
    None.

Department Head Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Applied in store. Manager makes you jump through a lot of hoops to get the job. He will tell you to call him on different dates and then not be available to see how dedicated and determined you are about getting a job there. Unless of course you know someone, then it's much easier. It took me 3 months and 5 to 6 tries to get hired

Interview Questions
    • There weren't a lot of questions. Management did most of the talking.   Answer Question

Department Head Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

walked in and filled out an application, they called for an interview before i made it home and set it up for the following day. pretty standard interview. offered the job during this time. The manager was a bit difficult to talk to which was more his personality, not anything to do with the company. Started monday the following week. Training was pretty rushed and not much direction given. Sink or swim. Had to learn from other employees or just figure things out on my own.

Interview Questions
    • not too difficult. hardest question was when i was asked to give examples of times i demonstrated different qualities they were looking for....just caught me off guard and i had to remember or make up something. other than that pretty easy!   Answer Question
    they called after the interview and i accepted. came to work the beginning of the next week.

Truck Unload-er/Stocker Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in October 2014.

applications are in the form of a fold up pamphlet at the front of the store. you might notice that its more Words to read then places to add info. (mostly if you have an issue done sue us. lets use a mediator to work it out and so on)

I dropped off the application on a Friday and was called back the following week on a Wednesday
    basic interview with the normal questions HOWEVER I was surprised to learn that i had to take a math test. about 20 questions. 4 basic add subtract multiply then around 10 prices subtracting sale percentages (50% off of an item that cost 48.80) then 7 questions adding 7.5% sales tax onto totals (78.82 plus 7.5% sales tax )

i was told at the end of the interview i would know by Thursday ether way, however he called me that same day 6.5 hours later! (8 at night little late some may say) he told me "i don't want to wait until Thursday that we would be interested in hiring you"

i was told hobby lobby runs a min wage of $10 per hour (rumor i hear $15 per hour min for full time) happy with that

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised to learn that i had to take a math test.no real warning they would ask for that haha. about 20 questions. 4 basic add subtract multiply then around 10 prices subtracting sale percentages (50% off of an item that cost 48.80) then 7 questions adding 7.5% sales tax onto totals (78.82 plus 7.5% sales tax )   Answer Question

Office Clerk Interview

Hiring event for new store opening. Advertised that they were seeking office help as well as cashiers and department employees. Arrived at hiring event to fined out they were in fact not looking for office help. Did not proceed with interview.

Cashier- Part Time Seasonal Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

The interview was by far the easiest I have ever been too! Right off the bat I was just happy and smiling and we ended up just talking about Christmas for like 15 minutes and how they get all their Christmas stuff so early in the year. Then she looked at my application finally and asked if I was over 18 and if I had ever had retail or cashier experience (which she said didn't matter since their machines are so outdated anyways). Then we just went on talking about our experiencing with customers and such and about the pay and what I would be expected to do and that was it! She did not ask me any real questions, she told me that she was just looking for "bubbly" people and that I fit into that category. So honestly the interview is just to figure out your personality because you can be taught everything else.

Interview Questions
    • Like I said all she asked was if I had any experience in retail or with cash registers.   Answer Question
    No negotiation at all, but they pay way better than other retail stores.

Certified Custom Framer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

There wasn't much of an interview. I submitted my resume & application & was called to fill out paper work. There is extensive testing that goes along with this position that is required to get & keep your job. There is no raise in pay after acquiring all of the detailed knowledge needed for this position.

Interview Questions
    • The testing is the only thing you really need to do. There were the basic interview questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I started right away & the pay was non-negotiable.

Department Head Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

The hiring and interviewing process is relatively quick. Store manager tends to wait until the last possible minute then it's a hiring frenzy. Come early. Expect interruptions, smile and say YES to be absolutely flexible.

Interview Questions
    • The only criteria is to be completely available and flexible.   View Answer

Stockman Interview

Spoke with the Store Manager and carried an interview for well over an hour going over history and future desires. Had a fun time talking and really didn't have any major issues come up during the process. We covered the concerns of the business and finished with a math test to qualify me as an applicant.

Interview Questions
    • Was $10.00 an hour enough to continue with the interview.   Answer Question