Home Depot

Getting the Interview

178 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details Online application, you get a call from corporate for a phone interview. If it goes well, you get an in store meeting. Got hired on the spot pending a urine test.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary for a retail position.   View Answer

Burlington, NJ (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Home Depot in February 2014.

Interview Details The interview process was question and answering. The hiring process was a background check and a drug test. I thought the process went well. The interviewer was very professional. Took me to meet the manager and told the manager that I meet all qualification for the job and was given paperwork for the drug test.

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Home Depot in February 2014.

Interview Details The whole process took nearly 3 months. I applied back in February and got a call from the staffing center. I answered a few questions on the phone and was given an interview date. I showed up for the interview and it went well. I waited a week and tried calling the HR department for a status no answer. A few weeks later in mid March I was called to set up a second interview, I was unable to make it to any of the dates they had available so they told me to call back the next morning to speak to a manager to set up a time, I called multiple times and there was no answer any time. I went into the store a week later to leave a physical message with customer service for HR to call me and in early April I received a call to set up my second interview. I proceeded with the interview and was offered the job on the spot pending drug test and background screening. A few weeks later I was given a date for orientation.

Interview Question – They were pretty simple questions I just don't remember the questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

North Ft Myers, FL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details initial interview at store with assistant manager. he was very polite and professional. good interview.

Interview Question – what are my hobbies and pasttime activities   View Answer

Reason for Declining – need parttime job

Cashier Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details Had a phone interview 3 - 4 weeks after applying online at about 6 different locations. Phone interview was short and simple. Called in 2-3 months later for in-store interview. This was more like a screening - very informal. Used a standard packet of 6-7questions and jotted down responses of one to two sentences. Did not take many notes at all. Workers came and went through the room during the whole process. Called in 2 days later for third and final interview with district manager. Told to come in two days later and that I needed to come in on that specific day. Manager was running 20 minutes late, so I had to sit around with nothing to do for 20 minutes in the work room. When we met for the interview, it was extremely short and simple. Just wanted to know if I could do the job, really wanted the job, and was capable. Lasted about 20 minutes or less.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiating - except for days/times worked - but even that was discouraged

Reston, VA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in May 2010.

Interview Details Standard, test and interview.

Interview Question – Simple really, nothing out of the ordinarry   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details This was a very smooth and as good as could be process

Interview Question – they really didnt make this hard, they were very easy to talk too   View Answer

Negotiation Details – not really any negotiation.

Sacramento, CA (US)

Interviewed at Home Depot

Interview Details 1st there is a phone screening which is very basic and by the end of this call they will scheduled you for in person interview with the manager, even this one is really easy and simple. you may need to keep following up with them to get to the phone screening step

Interview Question – all of the questions are so simple and easy very very basic   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiation they put you any where they need you but then you can move to any department easily once there is an opening

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details It was a very pleasant interview and I only had one with the Store Manager, she explained what is expected of the part time cashiers from a customer service standpoint very well and she explained the Home Deport family values.

Interview Question – She did give me a couple of scenarios that may have been a bit tricky but are actually easy to answer, just be polite and direct the customer to management.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not too difficult

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in July 2013.

Interview Details Applied online, was called within a few days of applying for a phone interview. I was asked a few very generic interview questions and then was scheduled a in-person interview at my local store. My interviewer was very welcoming and asked questions about my past experiences relating to the job and how I would/have acted in certain situations in the past. I was offered the job on the spot and accepted, pending a background/urine test. It took like 2-3 weeks for them to call to set up a orientation... I had called a couple of times wondering why it had been taking so long and they had told me they were waiting for the urine test.. I guess the wait is common in the company though.. Many others I work with had the same long wait.

Interview Question – Describe a time you went above and beyond for the customer.
What do you find most difficult about working in retail?
What makes you an asset to the team?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No wage negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Home Depot

Worked for Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Home Depot Videos

Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Depot Cashier interview questions and advice. All 178 interview reviews posted anonymously by Home Depot employees and interview candidates.