Hot Topic

Updated 2 Dec 2014
Updated 2 Dec 2014

2.2

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

This was a few years ago (before I advanced in the company), but my best friend who worked at HT recommended me to her store manager. He called me and set up an interview. First time meeting. We sat on a mall bench and he asked me some standard questions, it really only lasted for about 20 or so minutes. He offered me a job on the spot and that led to 5 awesome years at the coolest store in the mall.

Interview Questions
    • "What were you listening to in the car on the way here?"   Answer Question
    Offered minimum wage, as expected. Not much negotiation, but I did receive raises later on as I advanced in the company.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic.

After visiting the store the manager contacted me 2 days later for an interview. The interview begins with questions about what are your favorite bands, movies, tv shows, and if you have any knowledge of anime. The rest are standard interview questions such as if you have previous work experience and how flexible you are with your schedule. 2 days after the interview I was offered a position and I accepted.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic in November 2014.

I filled out and handed in an application in the store, then got a call the next day to come in for an interview the day after. I was asked about the reasons I applied at Hot Topic, did I have any knowledge of anime, have you ever caught someone stealing, etc. The interviewer was personable and we chatted for a bit in between questions. She asked about any prior experience in retail and liked that I had worked in stock. I got a call later informing me I had been hired and went in for training the next day.

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hot Topic.

I was asked a few basic questions about my customer service experience, scenarios about someone stealing, the type of music I listened too (make sure you mention bands they sell in the store) and tell them you follow the 'Hot Topic' of popularity.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate anything

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Simple one on one interview in food court. Manager was very personable and he liked that I had a lot of customer service background. Even though I had no previous retail experience.

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic in October 2014.

I went to my local Hot Topic and talked to the manager, I asked if they were hiring. He said yes and that i should go online and print and fill out an application. I returned to the store turned in my application the manager asked me some quick questions about my application and scheduling then asked me if I could come in for an interview in 2 days. This was my first ever interview and it was pretty relaxed and not as bad as i expected. The manager and I talked and got along pretty well. I am currently waiting to hear back on whether or not i got the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to pick two items from the store, one I really liked and another that i did not like at all, the manager then asked me to try and sell the items to her.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Hot Topic in September 2014.

The process was pretty fast. I applied online to my nearest Hot Topic and i was called within 5 days for an interview. The interview was a group interview, which they had not informed me of. There was three of us. The interview was easy and they asked basic questions about favorite music bands, favorite movies, past job experience, personal hobbies, etc. The hardest part was trying to get in talking because one of the other people just wouldnt stop and he would cut us off.

Interview Questions
    • What does customer service mean to you?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Applied in person, was called in for an interview. Interviewer was very chill and friendly, asked about a previous work experience, what I want to do in school, and asked what customer service meant to me (which is also asked on the application). I was hired on the spot, and was told i'd be notified when to come in for training, which was only a few days later. In total the interview lasted no more than 5 minutes, and was up in the front of the store near some racks. Very unprofessional to me, but I've noticed they do that for everyone, as well at other locations.

Interview Questions
    • When she asked me about previous work, she asked me to try to compare how my previous job with the position she's offering, such as roles and responsibilities.   View Answer

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hot Topic in August 2014.

I turned in my application 2 months ago and I didn't expect them to call after that but they called me the day before the interview was schedule so the next day I went to the interview with 4 other people. Personal I thought I aced the interview because I was more outspoken than anyone else but I was also the one with no piercings, no tatoos, or any kind of color in my hair which kinda sucks. I didn't get a call back the schedule day so the position has been taken, but I think its because I didn't fit the "look".

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you?
      What kind of music do you like?
      What does customer service mean to you?
      What do people describe you as?

Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Wasn't like any interview I've ever been in. Very rushed and felt like the interview didn't really matter. Like they already had who the wanted and nothing I said made a difference.

Interview Questions
    • There was really no questions. Just asked why I wanted the job.   Answer Question