IKEA Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.5

Store Visual Co-worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

I applied for a seasonal (holiday) visual co-worker position and was contacted next day by someone from HR for a quick phone screen. Easy questions "why do you want to work for Ikea" etc. It went well and she said she would refer me to the next interview and that I would be contacted by the store's hiring manager within two weeks.

Three weeks went by and I still had not been scheduled for a second interview. I contacted the recruiter via email and still no answer.

Five weeks after my original phone interview, someone from hr finally emailed me only to tell me they were not hiring for the position and that it was "on hold"

Interview Questions
    • "what was something you were proud of in your past experience" "Tell me about a time when you worked within a group and as an individual"   Answer Question

Inventory Co-worker Interview

First a phone interview about hows and whats about your application, availablities, working rights etc, general questions. Then a panel interview. I'm still waiting for the final interview by HR department.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

I went on the website and applied online the application process was pretty easy. Two weeks later I got a call about a hiring event. I went to the hiring event there were around 25 people. They made us partner up and present in front of the group of possible employees and hiring managers. we had to ask are partners questions about why Ikea and about there prior work experience and present the info they gave us. Then we were asked to step out the room so they could deliberate. After that they called us back into the room and split us up in two groups. My group was asked to step outside once again. The people who were left in the room were not considered and basically told why not. after waiting like 30 minutes a manager came out and brought me into a interview room were he began to interview me one on one. He asked personality questions apart from the basic questions this interview was way more intense and caught me off guard. I later waited on the main hiring manager which then brought me to a room where he told me that I had too little experience to be a sales associate they require at least 2 years of prior experince to be considered for the position. so I was gonna be considered for the cashier position. I was told to go back to the waiting room that the cashier manger was going to come to interview me. Her interview was easy going and relaxed the basic questions were asked. She said the Main hiring manager would be the finale judge and if yes i would be emailed the background check information. I left the interview at 4 by 5.30 I had the email. I was there form 12.30pm to 4.00pm

Ps. The same day around 7.00am hours before the event started I was called by headquarters I was interviewed and told that my resume was being fowarded to the location I applied to unknowing that I had already been called in for an interview. So basically expect a phone interview before the actual interview

Interview Questions
    • Whats the last thing you read? What was your favorite part? What was the last nice thing you did ? Tell me something nerdy about you?   Answer Question

Ballroom Co-worker Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IKEA.

Applied to the job AD at Ikea career section. Submit the application on the job ad removal day and get invited to a group interview on the next day. The over all experience is exact the same as other people had explained. Just be yourself. Study Ikea well enough. Not just the history, like what IKEA stand for(good to know ofc). Get to know the current news about Ikea, such as they focus on sustainability very much. They bought 20 Wind Turbine last year. And you need to emphasize IKEA is one of the company that willing to spend HUGE amount of $ to green energy which most company don't because it take too long (talking about 1-2 decades) to get the money back from that investment. Dont Buff. Be honest. Interview is fun and not too intense. And treat your other interviewer as friend, not enemy.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any unexpected question. You do get a LOT of unexpected question if you don't study IKEA well enough.   Answer Question

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

Applied online, was called for an interview within the week. Phone interview, then in person. Having open availability is key. Good interview, questions about how you've handled situations in the past, easy. Be natural, they value perspectives from different people. Important to convey similar acceptance of others, be a team player. Offered and accepted position on the spot.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Graz (Austria)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Graz (Austria)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

One week after sending the application, I got invited to "a look behind the scenes" where they wanted to learn more about me. It was actually a group interview with 11 other applicants and 3 interviewers: head of visual merchandising, head of interior design and HR person.The athmosphere was really relaxed and casual, interviewers were smiling and laughing a lot, making jokes etc. They presented themselves first and then each applicant presented themselves and their backgrounds while everyone else listened. That was basically it. So at that point there were 12 applicants applying for two different jobs: visual merchandiser and interior designer.

Two days after the interview I got an invitation by email to come to an Assessment center. It was a whole-day (9-16) skills test including different teamwork tasks, decorating, drawing a sketch, making collages etc. I think we did about 7-8 different tasks during the day and every task was to be presented in front of everybody. There were eight of us this time applying for those two jobs.

The day of the assessment was Wednesday. They promised to inform us about going forward or not at the end of next week. On Friday of the next week there was still no word from them. I received an email next Monday that I did not go forward with them.

After the assessment tehre would have been at least one more interview, including the manager of the department store, before the would make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were quite usual: Why do you want to work at Ikea? Why would you be the best applicant? How do you see Ikea?   Answer Question

General Ledger Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in April 2011.

There are three interview steps. First step is group interview and it is fun, not too hard. Then is manager interview, talking about your interests, your career goal. Also with skilled interview. The last is CEO interview, just talking in Englishe to test English skills.

Interview Questions
    • The biggest trouble you met during work and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

FOOD Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in April 2014.

First received a phone interview. Then got called back to have an in person interview. Pretty simple interview. How do you work in a team, What are your greatest accomplishments? Where do you se yourself in the future? Do you have reliable transportation? THe interviewer was super nice.

Interior Design Co-worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at IKEA.

Was given a floor plan drawing and aesthetic test using ikea catalogue. The test parameter was 15 min. It's to test your design skills. Discuss portfolio and previous experience.

Interview Questions
    • 3 hour long interview with direct manager, followed by department supervisor.   Answer Question
    non-negotiable

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in August 2013.

Takes a little time. Had a interview with manager, HR, and Store manager. Also did phone interviews with the service office and manager. A long process but well worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were pretty straight forward. None that were too hard.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Got more than asked for.

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!