IKEA

Updated 17 Nov 2014
Updated 17 Nov 2014

2.5

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IKEA.

Completed application on-line then received an email to schedule an interview. Took only a couple of days. I met first with HR and it was a pleasant experience. I was asked questions that were geared toward me personally and what I was looking to achieve within the company. I immediately met with the Store Manager and that interview lasted well over an hour. You sit in a comfortable room with couch and chairs so it feels informal. Questions were based on situations and how I would handle them or how I had dealt with them. When I asked what the number one concern was I was stunned to hear honestly and openly "their managers". Probing further it was revealed that about half the managers had been with the company over 10+ to 20+ years and only knew of the Ikea way. They didn't work as a team as the Store Manager would like and as I dived deeper found that there was really no set plan in place to correct the team attitude or guidance on leadership. It was mentioned several times during the interview and in the job posting about "coaching" and as I defined coaching I was finding this was not the focus of the store manager. It was talk the talk but came down to talk only and when the Store manager when questioned about his/her coaching it was evident that they themselves lacked the leadership they needed to keep their managers on one page and working together. The Store manager was more concerned about "not doing" someone's job and that coaching consisted of a conversation or two then if you don't get it, they start disciplinary actions.

Their problem is definitely the Executive Level Managers and the Sales Managers. The lack of concern over their sales associates showed in offering customer service. Their leadership is evident when I left I bought some food and a mistake was made the manager was called over not once did she acknowledge me, look at me or apologize and walked away. The sales associates were too busy talking about chicken wings at the party they just had in the break room. Clearly a store running without clear expectations or standards. Sad their upper management is not engaged with its' store managers, if so the Store Manager would recognize they needed a leader, not just a pencil pusher.

CO-Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA.

The interview process was a lengthy one which lasted over a month. First stage, I had to send in my resume and cover letter. I then received an email asking me to fill out a “Getting to Know You, Getting to Know Us” form. This form asked for your availability and four basic questions. After sending this form, I then got a call from IKEA asking for me to attend the group interview. The group interview was relatively simple, they just asked you to discuss certain scenarios in a group. Finally, they emailed me asking to attend a one on one interview. The questions were relatively simple, and they people doing the interview were friendly, and so I am waiting on the final outcome.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you have had to go out of your comfort zone?   Answer Question

Sales Co-Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA.

in online. you can connect the ikea web site and can choose any positions you want or are interested in. Usually, you can get the invitation of the group intervew within 30 days. when uploading your CV, Cover letter, please don't use asian style.

Interview Questions
    • not difficult, but don't expect you to pass all the interview at once.   Answer Question
    i didn't have any negotiation phase.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in November 2014.

I applied for a full time sales position and was contacted for an interview a few weeks later. And by "contacted" I mean the manager happened to see me and wanted to do the interview right then. There was no real planning on his part.

After answering some generic questions, the interview took a sour turn. His demeanor was very pompous and arrogant. Additionally, he made snide remarks about my career aspirations and answers to his questions. I withdrew my application the same day; no job is worth that disrespect.

Interview Questions
    • "What are your career goals/do you have any other job besides working at IKEA?"

"If hired when can you begin?"
        View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

The hiring process involved a phone call inteview to begin with the next day then I got sent a getting to know you getting to know ikea form via email I completed that then I got moved to the next process stage which involved a group interview which went really well I had a great time. Now I'm waiting on a formal interview next month. It's a long process

Interview Questions
    Haven't reached that stage yet

Safety and Security Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in October 2014.

Applied October 2014. Initial phone interview, invited for face to face late October. Interviewed with Department Manager and a member of the team. Received invitation for second face to face with the District Manager early November. After this interview, a third face to face a week later with the team that you would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions if you have Loss Prevention experience. The process with this company is lengthy; applicants are thoroughly vetted. It is worth the wait!   Answer Question
    Position was posted at a certain rate, but due to experience was given more.

Ikea Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in October 2014.

Online assesment, got an email a few days later asking to attend an interview, I replied to email saying I couldn't go and were there any other dates? Got an email a few days later, attended group interveiw. Very laid back, do an ice breaker, ask you to pick a product and say why you chose it and then they ask for whacky ideas for the product. They then ask for best and worst customer service? It's all about your personality. If you pass this they then do individual interveiws, asking about your avaliability and general interview questions.

This was all on Thursday and I got a telephone call today Tuesday saying I got the job and to come in for training Tuesday - Thursday next week.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult ones, just about how you prioritise tasks... No biggie. I just panicked on that one.   Answer Question

Middle Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA in October 2014.

Job was posted, application was submitted within time frame allowed. Did not hear about it for 2 months, while the steering team kept complaining that nothing was getting done and that we needed someone for the position right away. Interview was a joke, the interviewers, to whom i reported for some time, did not even read my employee file beforehand, did not have a copy of my resume (which I provided several times), did not know what a 30/60/90 was and did not read a detailed 5+ page action plan on how I would improve the department.

Interview Questions
    • The fact that they ran out of questions goes to prove one thing: Either it is just a dog and pony show or they really just DGAF.   View Answer

Wahrehouse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IKEA.

called in for an interview with HR. - basic interview. why do you want to work here, why should we hire you. nothing out of the ordinary. applied in person during the summer got a call 3 days later for an interview

no mention of a negotiation they have a union and get raises every 6 months max's out after 3 years. everyone gets the same pay scale

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IKEA.

Very relaxed interviewer, gave me tips on how to be a better interview prospective (was very new.) The office area was very modern and the overall team that greeted me as I walked to the interview room were welcoming. The interviewer asked me about previous jobs and not-work related interests, and seemed interested in me as a person and not a potential wage slave.

Interview Questions
    • How to pronounce some Swedish word that I'd never seen before.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase; IKEA didn't pay cashiers well at the time and had a very high turn over.