IKEA Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014
Updated 22 Oct 2014

2.5

Ikea Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in October 2014.

Online assesment, got an email a few days later asking to attend an interview, I replied to email saying I couldn't go and were there any other dates? Got an email a few days later, attended group interveiw. Very laid back, do an ice breaker, ask you to pick a product and say why you chose it and then they ask for whacky ideas for the product. They then ask for best and worst customer service? It's all about your personality. If you pass this they then do individual interveiws, asking about your avaliability and general interview questions.

This was all on Thursday and I got a telephone call today Tuesday saying I got the job and to come in for training Tuesday - Thursday next week.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult ones, just about how you prioritise tasks... No biggie. I just panicked on that one.   Answer Question

Wahrehouse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IKEA.

called in for an interview with HR. - basic interview. why do you want to work here, why should we hire you. nothing out of the ordinary. applied in person during the summer got a call 3 days later for an interview

no mention of a negotiation they have a union and get raises every 6 months max's out after 3 years. everyone gets the same pay scale

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IKEA.

Very relaxed interviewer, gave me tips on how to be a better interview prospective (was very new.) The office area was very modern and the overall team that greeted me as I walked to the interview room were welcoming. The interviewer asked me about previous jobs and not-work related interests, and seemed interested in me as a person and not a potential wage slave.

Interview Questions
    • How to pronounce some Swedish word that I'd never seen before.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase; IKEA didn't pay cashiers well at the time and had a very high turn over.

Interior Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA.

There were 3 stages to the process; phone screening, group interview and 'the grandparent' interview. Applied online and got a call around 2-3 weeks later. The phone interview had questions about IKEA (i.e. why IKEA, what does home furnishing mean to you, etc.) and lasted around 15 min.

A week later I got a call saying I made it to the group assessment day+ a confirmation email. In addition, there was a form I had to fill out with situational questions (i.e. tell us about a time when you faced an obstacle and how did you overcome it?, when was a time you made a mistake and how did you fix it? etc.) and a personality quiz to complete. The group interview was a week after the confirmation email and I had to bring my portfolio along.

On the day, there were around 9 people (including myself), 6 were going for the Visual merchandising role whilst 2 others + me were going for the Interior Designer role. There were head designers, managers and HR people in the room as well and they were all very friendly. After a brief intro about IKEA, we introduced ourselves and presented the piece of work in our portfolio we were most proud of. Then we had group activities, analysing a specific room (i.e. what is the style of the room? who do you think lives in this room? what would you change about the room? etc.) and split into teams of 3 to build a flatpack (could be a table, cabinet, etc.). Had to present our furniture and talk about where we would place it and how it could be used. After a lunch break, we had a 'feedback' session, which was actually a further interview questioning session. There were 2 people asking situational questions (around 8 Qs) and because I was not expecting it at all, blanked out for a few secs but they helped guide and recollect my thoughts so that was pretty nice of them. That concluded the group interview day and I was told I would find if I pass the round by Friday.

Then on the following day, I got a call back saying I had made it to the 'Grandparent interview' and was asked to come in on the Friday (short notice because the manager was quite busy). I was asked to bring my portfolio again and was told that it was an informal interview with the Design head. True to their word, it was the most relaxed and chilled interview ever, chatting about different cultures, different IKEAs around the world, etc. The only questions he asked were once again, 'why IKEA? what do you think IKEA can offer you, what do you think the differences are between this IKEA and the other one?etc. Showed him my portfolio and chatted a bit more. Overall lasted around 2 hours and that concluded the final interview. Got a call a week later asking for reference checks and now pending (so no offer yet)

Interview Questions
    • As an interior designer, what would your role be to customers in IKEA?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had to deal with change and how did you cope with it?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA.

So, I applied online for a cashier position and was called back within a day. The first interview was with the floor manager, and my second interview was with the general manager. I'm guessing they liked me lol.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest mistake you ever made? How did you recover from it?   Answer Question

Store Visual Co-worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IKEA.

I applied for a seasonal (holiday) visual co-worker position and was contacted next day by someone from HR for a quick phone screen. Easy questions "why do you want to work for Ikea" etc. It went well and she said she would refer me to the next interview and that I would be contacted by the store's hiring manager within two weeks.

Three weeks went by and I still had not been scheduled for a second interview. I contacted the recruiter via email and still no answer.

Five weeks after my original phone interview, someone from hr finally emailed me only to tell me they were not hiring for the position and that it was "on hold"

Interview Questions
    • "what was something you were proud of in your past experience" "Tell me about a time when you worked within a group and as an individual"   Answer Question

Inventory Co-worker Interview

First a phone interview about hows and whats about your application, availablities, working rights etc, general questions. Then a panel interview. I'm still waiting for the final interview by HR department.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA.

I went on the website and applied online the application process was pretty easy. Two weeks later I got a call about a hiring event. I went to the hiring event there were around 25 people. They made us partner up and present in front of the group of possible employees and hiring managers. we had to ask are partners questions about why Ikea and about there prior work experience and present the info they gave us. Then we were asked to step out the room so they could deliberate. After that they called us back into the room and split us up in two groups. My group was asked to step outside once again. The people who were left in the room were not considered and basically told why not. after waiting like 30 minutes a manager came out and brought me into a interview room were he began to interview me one on one. He asked personality questions apart from the basic questions this interview was way more intense and caught me off guard. I later waited on the main hiring manager which then brought me to a room where he told me that I had too little experience to be a sales associate they require at least 2 years of prior experince to be considered for the position. so I was gonna be considered for the cashier position. I was told to go back to the waiting room that the cashier manger was going to come to interview me. Her interview was easy going and relaxed the basic questions were asked. She said the Main hiring manager would be the finale judge and if yes i would be emailed the background check information. I left the interview at 4 by 5.30 I had the email. I was there form 12.30pm to 4.00pm

Ps. The same day around 7.00am hours before the event started I was called by headquarters I was interviewed and told that my resume was being fowarded to the location I applied to unknowing that I had already been called in for an interview. So basically expect a phone interview before the actual interview

Interview Questions
    • Whats the last thing you read? What was your favorite part? What was the last nice thing you did ? Tell me something nerdy about you?   Answer Question

Ballroom Co-worker Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA.

Applied to the job AD at Ikea career section. Submit the application on the job ad removal day and get invited to a group interview on the next day. The over all experience is exact the same as other people had explained. Just be yourself. Study Ikea well enough. Not just the history, like what IKEA stand for(good to know ofc). Get to know the current news about Ikea, such as they focus on sustainability very much. They bought 20 Wind Turbine last year. And you need to emphasize IKEA is one of the company that willing to spend HUGE amount of $ to green energy which most company don't because it take too long (talking about 1-2 decades) to get the money back from that investment. Dont Buff. Be honest. Interview is fun and not too intense. And treat your other interviewer as friend, not enemy.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any unexpected question. You do get a LOT of unexpected question if you don't study IKEA well enough.   Answer Question

CO-Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IKEA in September 2014.

Initially I applied online. The process required all the usual information [work history, education, availability] and also required a covering letter on why you were suitable for the role, who you are, and why you can to work at IKEA as well as a CV. After this, I was invited to complete an online test of about 40 multiple choice questions to allow them to find out what sort of person I was and what I prioritised in customer service.

A few days later I was contacted via telephone by the local IKEA's HR department. They talked through my CV, asked me a few basic questions, and asked if I had the right to work in the UK. The woman then suggested what departments I might be suited for. I was then invited to an assessment centre in a few days time. This was then confirmed via email and had to print and fill out a 'treasure hunt' to find out basic info about the company [departments, costs, items for sell, etc.].

At the assessment centre there were about 20 people, most were younger, but there was a variety of ages. We were informed there were 18 positions and there was another assessment group that day. We were told if successful, we would be invited to a one-on-one interview. On the tables we were already sat, we introduced ourselves to the group and picked a random question from a cup [what animal would you be / know anyone famous etc.]. The managers, about 12, then introduced themselves. We then had 30 minutes to fill out a paper on situations that might arise in the store, such as multiple tasks and health and safety issues. The back page contained a section on what you thought good customer service was, when you had received it, and when you served a difficult customer. In pre-selected groups, presumably by potential departments, we then worked in a team to build a piece of furniture and create a presentation on it's uses, additional items to sell with it, who could use it etc. Two managers observed, although they didn't seem too interested and were chatting about all sorts amongst themselves. After the presentation, we were free to go. The treasure hunt wasn't collected at any point, which was a bit of a waste of time!

About a week later I was contacted via email to say I'd be unsuccessful in reaching the interview stage. The email invited me to ask for feedback, so I did. A week later, I'm awaiting a response.

Interview Questions
    • When have you served a difficult customer? How did you cope with the situation?   Answer Question