IRS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Clerk Interview

Jacksonville, FL (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IRS in November 2010.

Interview Details The hiring and interview is very long and can sometimes makes people want to stop and go no further. But, you have to have patience to do all the requirements that is ask for in order to gain employment. Which is worth the wait.

Interview Question – Would you go over supervisor head to help customer service reps on the job.   Answer Question

Technical Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details Very competitive, smart people

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself,   Answer Question

Data Transcriber Interview

Data Transcriber
Holtsville, NY (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details This was done by first applying in a group setting, then general testing. To apply for the Data Transcriber position, I had to take a data entry test.

Interview Question – Only questions were based on my paperwork, by people working to process people who made it through testing to return for further processing. No traditional interviews were held.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, we were told what each position paid, based on our entry grade.

Supervisory Internal Revenue Agent Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details Apply on USA Jobs. Add transcripts, resume, cover letter. Invitation to take accounting test follows. Score an A. If you don't get an A, you can't retest and you won't get an interview. The test is easy if you have an accounting degree. Then interview with territory manager follows.

Interview Question – Questions are behavioral. "What would you do if you had to make a $20,000 adjustment to the tax of a single mother who is a waitress" or "you don't have enough time to meet every deadline and there is no overtime available. What would you do"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. GS-7 or GS-9 to start

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

Rochester, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IRS in August 2012.

Interview Details I was interviewing for a job in Maryland but did the interview at another IRS office. I dressed up and the person who was at the other location, said you can relax, it is just a phone interview..... Needless to say the interview went well. The phone interview was with my feature manager and one other manager at a different location. A few weeks later I was sent an email with the offer letter.

Interview Question – None really, they even asked me a few math questions which I did in my head. I think the person who was there to watch me during the interview was impress. For the 2nd math question, I did use the person calculator even thou I still had the answer but just wanted to double check. I got no feedback from the managers during the time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, as it is done by OPM

Individual Tax Advisory Specialist Interview

Individual Tax Advisory Specialist

Interviewed at IRS

Interview Details It's a very long process. Security is a big concern so you have to go through a lot of checks. There's also tons of applications so you have to be patient. It took me 6 months from application to start date and some can take longer. This position only required a two person interview which was your normal questions so nothing different there. Biggest thing is that even after hired you're still going through security checks so you can be fired after hired within months but after that you're in the clear.

Interview Question – One question was worded with IRS jargon but just ask what they mean and they'll explain it in better terms and will not hold it against you. They're just use to people knowing what they're talking about because they use the same phrases all the time on the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none for me but I've heard it's possible if you have enough experience but you would not be negotiating the salary but the grade level as they're pretty much set based on the job. All salaries are online and in the job description so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Tax Examining Technician
Fresno, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at IRS in December 2010.

Interview Details Apply on line and they will send you Email When & Where to go. No inteview for seasonal.

Interview Question – When you apply on line they will give you questionaire to answered the best you can   Answer Question

Examiner Interview

Philadelphia, PA (US)

I interviewed at IRS in February 2011.

Interview Details nice but didn't seem organized

IRS Contact Representative Interview

IRS Contact Representative

Interviewed at IRS

Interview Details While the hiring process is lengthy the interview itself was comprised of four fairly logical questions posing potential caller scenarios.

Interview Question – A question about an apparent tax software company error mistakenly directing four taxpayers in a row to call the IRS to obtain their last year's AIG and how to deal with that.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Internal Revenue Agent
Chico, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at IRS in April 2009.

Interview Details Long, tedious, never know what is going on.

Interview Question – No hard or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Interviews for Top Jobs at IRS

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IRS interview questions and advice. All 84 interview reviews are posted anonymously by IRS employees and interview candidates.