Intel Corporation

www.intel.com

Intel Corporation Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews in Santa Clara, CA

Updated Apr 27, 2014

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in September 2012.

Interview Details Interview process include an initial interview and one day on-site. For the on-site you will have 4~5 technical interviews, and having lunch with the prospect manager.

Interview Question – I am asked to print out all the possible letter combinations on telephone pad when you punch in a 7-digit number.   View Answer

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Intel Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details Just kind of called out of the blue. They didnt really interview me on much just asked basic c questions. Kind of easy to tell you the truth. If you have taken any sort of class in c your golden.

Negotiation Details – Nothing.

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in December 2011.

Interview Details I received an email from my department asking me to send my resume to a Software Engineer position at Intel. I sent my resume and after about a month, I was contacted directly by a Team lead from the Power Management group at Intel. They asked me my preferred date and time for the phone interview and I scheduled it a week later.

Very Easy Interview

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2011.

Interview Details Contacted by a recruiter, talked for 5 minutes about general stuff... my interests, what the position is about, the group at Intel. A week later I was notified that they would like me for an on-site interview in a week. At the on-site interview I met with 7 people during one morning... 8am-12pm.

This being a Software Engineering position I expected at least some technical questions, but I received none! The only technical question was one casual "can you code?". To which I replied yes of course. Every interviewer asked me what I did for my PhD and we generally talked about my work. It seems that the most important thing for them was to determine whether I'll be a good fit with my vision, interests and prior experience. I would say personality is definitely another thing they look for even though you may not notice it.

People in this group seemed pretty young and open minded... especially the group leader (boss). The position in itself wasn't really the "code in the trenches" kind and it has quite a bit of flexibility and requires creativity and novel approaches. Perhaps that's why they were more interested in the vision and interests than coding.

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good fit to this group?   Answer Question
  • Questions about my PhD work where I had to justify my decisions. They were difficult because the questions were coming from a different perspective than I would typically meet in academia.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Although they couldn't up-front the relocation expenses, they did offer a hiring bonus.

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in March 2011.

Interview Details I applied online and about 3 weeks later received an email requesting a phone interview. The phone interview was basically the manager talking about the position and asking some questions about my background and a few technical questions; this phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. I was immediately invited to do two technical phone interviews with team members, which I did the next day. The first technical phone interview was only about 25 minutes, and I was asked mostly general (although fairly difficult) C++ questions. The second technical phone interview was about 1 hour and was almost entirely architecture questions, several of which went quite in depth. About 2 hours later I was invited for an on-site interview.

About 2 weeks later I went to Santa Clara for the on-site interview. They flew me down on a Sunday, the interview was on Monday, and I left on Tuesday. The interview was about 5 hours. My first 1:1 interview was an hour long with a team member, and he mostly asked about various C++ and OOP topics. The second 1:1 interview was also an hour and mostly involved me writing code (C and assembly) on paper to solve a few problems. Next I had a half hour interview with the manager, who asked a few technical questions, but mostly told me about the benefits. Then was a 1:30 hour lunch with the team. After that I had a one hour discussion with a team member, which was fairly casual conversation about the position and team and area (no hard or technical questions). Finally I had another half hour interview with the manager and he mostly told me about what they were looking for and I tried to sell myself.

I was told t hey would let me know within one week. A week later I got a phone interview from HR offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• How can you exchange the value of two variables without using a third variable?   View Answers (2)
  • When would you want to use a linked list over an array? When wouldn't you want to use a linked list?   View Answer
  • In C++, what does the virtual keyword actually mean?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate the offer. The total compensation was pretty good, and I felt it would be difficult to negotiate for an entry level job.

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!