International Paper Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 9, 2014
Updated Aug 9, 2014
64 interviews

Manufacturing Manager Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

An IP recruiter messaged me in LinkedIn to ask if I was interested in the position. I said I was, and we set up a time for a phone interview. It went well, and the regional HR manager contacted me for a plant interview. It was a panel with my boos -to- be, his boss, and the HR manager. They had a template they had to follow, but it felt more like a conversation; a very genuine one.

Interview Questions
    I was too excited. I didn't negotiate

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kenton, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenton, OH (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

Mainly, They like to hire from inside for supervisors. If no one makes it through the interviews internally then they will hire from outside the company. The interview process has 3 steps. One with the department manager and Human Resourses Manager. the second is with the assistant plant manager and the third is with the plant manager. They will ask questions based off your resume about leadership skills. The interviews are not very lengthy al all.

Interview Questions
    • Playing senerios. They will give you a situation and ask how you would handle it.   Answer Question
    Just to negotiate your pay. I was satisfied with what they offered so i accepted on the spot.

Supply Chain Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at International Paper in November 2012.

I went to a career fair where International Paper was present. I did an interview on campus which was very fast paced. I then was asked to fly to Memphis for a more in depth interview. They call this the blitz, they do it every year. They fly so many students down and have a social meeting, interviews (most likely 6), and then a night out in Memphis with current employees. The interviews were pretty easy, normal questions about tell me a time when, but mostly just them getting to know you. This was by far my favorite of about 100 interviews I did. Very relaxed environment for such a large company. I participated in the blitz this year as a current employee and really enjoyed it.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult, they do not try to stump you in the interview process from my experience.   Answer Question
    They have a position level system, based on what number you are there is only a range you can make. Everything is pretty standard and there is not a lot of room for negotiation.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Oxnard, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at International Paper in May 2014.

I met the HR manager at a Career Fair at my university. I chatted with her for a bit and left a resume. About two weeks later I received a call from her to schedule an interview. The first interview involved a tour of the paper mill (1 hour) followed by a panel interview with the HR manager, the lead process engineer, and the engineering manager. The questions were very standard and the interviewers were very nice. I got a call back for a second visit, which involved 3 1:1 interviews with various mangers of the company and more detailed plant tours (2.5 hours). Overall very positive interview experience. Note: do not arrive to interviews in your nicest clothes. You will be given steel toe shoe add-ons and your shoes (and person) may get wet.

Company culture: about 100 employees, mostly men. Most employees are aged 40+.

Interview Questions
    • What is Henry's Law? (Technical question)
      What do you think your role of process engineer will be? (Make sure to read job description carefully)
        Answer Question

Although the paper industry is very stable and I would have received a solid pay, I was not interested in process engineering (or rather controls).

Packer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lexington, SC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, SC (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

Applied through employee referral, I was called a week later to take a test, getting the interview was completely based on passing the test. The next day I was interviewed by a panel that asked questions based on safety and prior job experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to ignore a safety rule to get a job done faster.   View Answers (2)
    No negotation

Process Engineer Interview

Talked to a representative at my university career fair. The conversation went well and the representative seemed to be interested/impressed. About a week later I received an email asking for a phone interview. The phone interview must also went well as I was asked to attend an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you needed to make a difficult decision.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

I learned about International Paper at my college career fair. Within a couple of minutes of talking to the people around the career booth, I was taken to a different room and had an interview with the main guy. It was fairly straight forward with the questions being purely behavioral. Over good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why would we hire you over other candidates.   View Answer

Supply Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

They will give you a first round interview in your school and if you are good enough they will invite you to on-site interview. It will be about 4 rounds and they take a whole day long. After a week of your interview they will inform you either by phone or email if you get it.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about one situation and you know you can't solve the problem and what did you do/   Answer Question
    I didn't really negotiate.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at International Paper in October 2011.

I went through the Company's interview process for upcoming college graduates. I attended the interview dinner the night before and 3 interviews the next day. All of the questions asked were primarily behavioral and about the Company. I found the process to be great overall. I ended up getting an offer from International Paper but had already accepted another one.

Interview Questions

I had already accepted another offer by the time I received the one from IP.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Shelbyville, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shelbyville, IL (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

A recruiter contacted me and I was going to interview, but then was told the position had been filled. I was later contacted by a different recruiter with the same job specifications. I was then asked if I would be willing to relocate. The recruiter asked questions about dealing with personnel and when I would be available to start. I also had to give three references for him to contact.

The recruiter then passed my info on to the HR manager and set up a 30 to 45 min phone interview for me.

At the end of the phone interview I was told by the HR manager that he would like me to come to the plant the following week.

The interview process was very quick. The managers interviewed me multiple times and I found it very redundant.The Plant Manager asked for a lot of specific details regarding my resume.

I had to go back on the next week for a final interview. The managers I had already interviewed with the previous visit interviewed me again in a panel interview. They asked the same type of questions.

Once this was completed, I had to take a personality assessment. This was about 100 questions. I was given the drug testing at that time and then sent the final offer over email.

Interview Questions
    • It was a lot of the same questions over and over again. You had to know what you were talking about obviously. The plant manager asked for a lot of details on the specifics of my resume. If interviewed by the plant manager, be ready to talk specifics with him.   Answer Question
    They made a good offer, so I did not counter. However, in retrospect I should have negotiated more vacation time due the nature of the shift work.

Worked for International Paper? Contribute to the Community!