Ipreo Interview Questions in New York City, NY

2.9

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Global Technical Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ipreo in September 2013.

An Ipreo recruiter reached out to me. We followed up with a phone-screen and a few days later I had 4 interviews scheduled (2 technical, 2 management).

The people for both technical interviews were not on site - which was not planned and a bummer. So I was sitting at Ipreo talking to their employees on a phone (no video call). It wasn't the best experience and certainly not appropriate for deep technical discussions.

Bottom line, after investing a whole afternoon - not counting preparation - I never heard a word back from anybody at Ipreo. That is bad style and doesn't represent a company I'd ever want to work for.

Interview Questions
    • What is SOLID? What do the letters stand for? Elaborate.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer/Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ipreo in August 2013.

Got a call from HR
    2 online programming tests like string manipulation and a small program
    Technical interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ipreo.

5+ Hr Interview. Met with several different analysts, a few managers, and an HR rep. Nothing all too difficult, but being in a tiny room for that long can be taxing. There was also an excel test and a writing sample.

Interview Questions
    • Where will the market be a year from now, two years from now?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ipreo in May 2013.

Be prepared to meet about 14 people during the interview process. You will likely be there for 5 hours, without food (except chips). It is not terribly comfortable. I am not sure why, but they basically try to get one or two people from each team to interview you. You are also required to take an excel test and submit a writing sample.

Interview Questions
    • What is your outlook on the stock market over the next year?   Answer Question

Technology Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ipreo in April 2013.

You apply Online or through HR, and they call you back generally. The HR sets you up with an interview with one of the hiring managers for your team. They have about a 40 minute in person interview and you hear back within 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Since I was interviewing for being an Intern, there were simple Technology questions. The hardest was a simple sort algorithm of a dictionary.   Answer Question
    They offered me the job with the pay. We didnt negotiate since I am an intern

Fixed Income Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ipreo.

Contacted by phone call to set up a phone interview for following week. The phone interview consisted of basic questions about my resume. They also asked "What is one recent story/headline concerning the market that is of interest of you and why?" At the conclusion of the phone interview they told me they wanted me to come in for an in-person interview. In-person interview consisted of a 1:1 meeting with the HR person, who asked me what I know about the position and the company. Then, I met with two members of the Fixed Income team (who I'd be working with if I got the job). They asked basic questions about my resume as well as questions about leadership skills and personality type questions. Then, the HR person came back in the room to wrap it up and make sure I didn't have any more questions. HR person was a little unprofessional and the interviewers seemed unprepared to interview me. Whole process took approximately 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time during your professional career when you were presented with a challenge and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ipreo in April 2012.

Prepare for a long interview. Mine went from 9 AM to 3 PM so it was 6 hours long. They prefer that you just do one long interview instead of coming back for multiple rounds. You will meet with people at different levels from senior analysts (people with at least 1 or 2 years exp) to directors. They will be from different teams such as Financial Services, Tech, Healthcare etc. They will just go over basic things like who you are, your background and your idea of the company. There was also an Excel test in person during the interview as well.

If you are interviewing for this position, it would be helpful to know about investor relations because they do investor relations consulting. They basically do all the work that an Investor Relations Officer or CFO doesn't have time for, such as constantly monitoring a stock's price and volume in case it goes up too high or low.

FYI the pay here is pretty low for financial services; you could make the same amount of money as a cop pretty much. That's why so many of the employees here take advantage of the company's educational benefits to get a CFA; I'm sure once they get it (which takes 3 years of testing and some years of work experience), they'll hightail it to some buy side shop or something that pays more.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about investor relations?   View Answer
    No negotiation. It's pretty much set at 43,000. They are kind of known for their low pay so a lot of people end up leaving after a few years.

Global Market Intelligence Analyst Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ipreo in March 2012.

First round was just a phone interview that lasted 20 mins.

The next round was the final one which was at the HQ office in the city. Prior to the interview, I received an online excel assessment test..it was really basic.

The final round consisted of meeting with 3 different sector groups followed up with meeting a recent hire to discuss how the program starts out. Before all the interviews started, HR made me do a 300 word essay assessment test. It wasn't bad, they just wanted to see how well you write.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ipreo in March 2012.

You first phone interview with a senior analyst, in a brief conversation. From there you speak with someone from HR who invites to an in-house interview in NYC. They give you a water and a snack and bring you into a small conference room and have interviewers rotate in and out like clockwork. Its a very organized process, but it is also long. I saw 11 or 12 people that came in either by themselves, twos, or threes. The whole process took almost 7 hours. Everyone was very friendly, offered to get me lunch and apologized for the long day. You get to speak with the newest analysts to managing directors. They want to get a feel for who you are and how you work, not as much about what you know. They gave me a quick writing sample to do which took me about 20 mins and is very basic. They sent me an excel skills test to take at home which was very easy if you use excel regularly. I received an email about a background check shortly thereafter, and a request for references. About 2-2.5 weeks after the whole process I received a phone call about an offer and ample time to make a decision.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think the market is going in the next 12 months?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ipreo in February 2012.

I applied online and received a voicemail from HR. I called them back and had a discussion about the position, and it basically turned into a phone interview about the position, what I was looking for, and why I was interested. At the end of the call, we set up a time for an interview the following week.

A few days later, I head to their office in midtown Manhattan. I'll break it down into 5 interviews, and I'm purposely putting them in random order.

1. I met with HR and she took me to a room to have another quick interview and answer any questions. I had several prepared beforehand and she did a good job of answering them. I would ask these same questions to all the other interviewers.

2. 1 on 1 with Product Manager #1
    This was an Indian guy that didn't smile at all. It was more like an interrogation than a conversation. He asked me what the position was that I was applying for and what I'd be doing in it. I wasn't sure if he was screwing with me or being serious, but I basically summarized the job ad. It turns out the job ad wasn't even accurate as he said the position didn't require any SQL. Wow.

He then questioned why I did things a certain way at a previous company I worked at. He asked me about what I thought the product was that I would be working on at Ipreo, what SDLC is, and if I've written business requirements. He also asked about the equity capital markets process, and whether I knew who was the lead bank for the Facebook IPO. Luckily I knew the answer for that (Morgan Stanley). He cut me off a few times and basically set an uncomfortable tone throughout the whole process. At the end of the interview, he asked me a brain teaser for "fun". It was about as fun as getting stabbed. He basically just seemed unfriendly. He's the kind of guy that you probably couldn't get a beer with even if he offered to pay.

3. 2 on 1 interview with a manager and analyst.
    It was a lady and dorky guy. They asked me basic questions on my background and work history, they asked the "what is your greatest weakness?" question, and they asked me what my biggest strength is. It went on for quite awhile, but it was generally pretty straightforward.

4. 1 on 1 with Product Analyst
    This was a big nerdy guy. He asked me what I knew about the equity capital markets process, and also lots of basic interview questions. He also asked me things like my favorite movie, my favorite band, etc. He asked me two brain teasers as well. I got one right and the other half right.

5. 1 on 1 with Product Manager #2
    This guy was the complete opposite of the other product manager. He sat down and basically said he wanted to have an easygoing chat. I got most of the usual interview questions including many that I already answered in the 2 on 1, and he also asked if I could do anything, what would it be. Also, what motivates you?

HR said the next step would be a second round with managing directors. There was no second round offered.

The company interviews like they want to be some top tier investment bank or Google/MSFT. Brain teasers are annoying and it really doesn't prove anything, even though I got some right. It seems like they want an exact best fit but aren't willing to pay since the position starts out at about $43,000 BEFORE taxes which is nothing in Manhattan. Everyone says they work really hard there and have to come in on weekends, but then why do I see some office workers just surfing the internet and chatting? Is it long hours and hard work or isn't it?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the equity capital markets process.   View Answers (2)
    • How many pennies would fill up this room?   View Answer
    • There's a penny in a bottle. You can't pull the cork out or break the bottle. How do you get the penny out?   View Answer
    • Describe to me what the position is that you're applying for.   View Answer
    • You're trapped in a cube and you need to move from the bottom left corner to the top right corner on the opposite side. You can't fly through space. Draw a line showing the shortest distance to get there.   View Answer