J. C. Penney Customer Service Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

37 interviews

1.7

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Service Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Applied online through the JCP career website which involves filling out personal information, work experience, and taking one of those compatibility tests. Received a phone call about a week later from one of the store's managers. Spoke a bit on the phone about my availability and to set up and in-person interview. The interview was really easy and fast. A lot of the interview consisted of the manager telling me about the position and their expectations for an ideal candidate. Had a one on one interview with the manager of my department and then another one on one with the store manager. All followed by a tour of the store and filling out paperwork.

Interview Questions
  • None, really. The questions were all very basic and general (i.e. easy).   Answer Question
They have set pay scales based on your amount of work experience, etc. I started out at minimum wage, since the position was my first job.

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Customer Service Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2012.

I was called for an interview professionally and attended, I did find one thing that was unprofessional about the interview. My interviewer asked my age, which I was told is illegal to ask during interview. But all in all I did receive a job offer and I took it.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

The interview wasn't a typical interview. There were two parts, for the first part the manager had us instruct one another on how to build a specific structure using these citiblocks. The idea seems easy, but we weren't allowed to touch the blocks and the structure had to look exactly like the picture shown. After this she then took people back one by one. I offered to go first and the manager asked some simple questions about how I would handle retail type situations and how my friends would describe me. The manager ended up offering me a position as a sales associate. The manager then explained the quotas I would have to fill and how much I would be paid and then I accepted the offer. Just waiting on a background check.

Interview Questions
    • Lets say you had thirty minutes left on your shift and you hadn't met your sales goal for the day. A women walks into shoes, looking for something specific, but then ends up not liking what she wanted. How would you insure that you met your sales goal and the customer left happy?   View Answer
    There wasn't much negotiating, I was happy with the pay offered.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in December 2013.

Simple enough interview just looking for seasonal help.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2014.

I applied online, was contacted a few days later to do a short over-the-phone interview. I passed the interview and she asked me to come in for a group interview. I wasn't able to make it, so I rescheduled for that next week. Then she called me back and rescheduled again. When I finally got there, all she asked me to do was role play on the sales floor. She was the customer and I was the Customer Service Associate. Then, she took me in the HR room and asked my about my availability and such. She gave me her card and told me to call if I have any questions. The next day, she called and offered me a position. I was so excited until she told me the starting wage. I asked if I could negotiate but it was only $1 more...But I took it because I needed a job. I was waiting for another company to call. But I am grateful!

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very easy:

Why do you want to work for JC Penny?
        View Answer
    I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Athens, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Applied online... Got an immediate interview three days later. The manager was very laid back. The main part is to show your personality. My perception of the work environment was cheesy but fun to help others.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find it difficult because I had many years of customer service experience, but the manager who interviewed me used a circular as a prop and we role played. I needed to know how to help the "customer" get what she was intending to buy.   Answer Question
    Non-existent. The manager put me to work immediately on a day that I was supposed to just be "dropping off some paperwork." I was a little embarrassed to get strait to work because I had spent the day driving in my car and I don't believe my appearance was top notch. Later, I had to go back and tell the store manager that I was getting paid the wrong amount- .25/hr less. I have not seen that it has been corrected yet. I get paid in a couple of days.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2009.

I was called in to interview within a few days of applying. I interviewed with one manager, who ended up being my manager, then he took me to another room to wait. He came back within 5 minutes and offered me a position and we negotiated my pay.

We discussed my experience and what pay range I was willing to except.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2011.

There are two rounds of interviews before you get hired. They hire associates at specific times through out the year. They usually hire most of their associates through out August, then wait to hire again for seasonal positions around October, then again around mothers day if they did not keep all of their seasonal associates.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you a lot about the company. Be prepared to be asked specific questions about the services the company offers and the brands that they sell. In the first interview they have specific scenarios they will describe such as problems within the store you may occur on a day to day basis and will rate your response on a checklist. The second interview is more personal, they ask more questions about your personal life and why their company would be a good fit.   Answer Question
    Personally I was not given an opportunity to negotiate, the way the interview is set up they already know how much they are able to offer you based off your experience. They already had a paper for me printed out ready to sign with the hourly wage.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2011.

I was hired during the holiday season. I highly suggest you apply during this time.. they take just about anyone, no experience required. I was called in for an interview immediately after I applied. I went in and to my surprise the lobby was filled with interviewees. Needless to say, this was a group interview. Store manager gave us a run-down of the store and asked a few questions here and there about what customer service meant etc. After this they called us one by one to discuss availability and take a copy of our ID and social security card. Waited about 2 weeks for a call back to start my training which was also in groups.

no salary negotiation

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Silverdale, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silverdale, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

My interview was quite enjoyable. The manager asked me about my previous experience, what I hoped to get out of the job, etc. It was fun to talk about wanting to help customers. It was also good to know some of the basic values of the company before the interview. Afterwards, I was hired on and given a date to start my training!

Interview Questions

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!