J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated 8 Oct 2014
Updated 8 Oct 2014

2.3

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I went into a local store one day and asked the manager if I could fill out a job application. The application is very typical: education level, previous employment, background, etc. Then I was told that someone would get in touch with me the following week to set up an interview. That never happened. So I called the manager, and I set up an interview with the hiring manager. The interview was very informal. I wore business casual attire (all J. Crew) and answered very typical interview questions: how would I deal with an angry client, how would I handle a confrontation with a coworker, etc. I was told to expect a call within the week informing me of their decision, but one never came. I called the manager again. She was very nice, but told me no decision has been made. She called the next day informing me that I had the job. I was very proactive during this process: I called the manager to set up the interview and then again to find out my status. I believe this helped me land the job. When I worked there, we had a lot of people come in and fill out applications, so I think it would be impossible to give them all interviews. So I think only the proactive applicants were able to land interviews and receive a job offer.

Vice President Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at J. Crew.

Got in through executive search firm. After 2 rounds of interviews, including one with the hiring manager, was told the role was being redefined.

Great atmosphere in the NYC office. Very bright people. Interview with HR more structured, but with hiring manager very conversational and casual. Was not in a typical conference room. We were sitting on couches.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

You have to pick up the application in store and may be asked some questions on the spot. After filling out the application I got a call back about a week later and set up an interview for the next day. Interviewed with manager and it was all very standard, relaxed, and casual. Dress preppy and have a good understanding of the brand.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work for J. Crew?"
      "What would you do if you saw someone stealing?"
        Answer Question

Declined because I was offer a better paying position somewhere else.

Customer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew in October 2014.

Applied online. Took an assessment online and got an email asking to call in for a phone screen interview with recruiter. Recruiter was fast paced. Haven't received a job offer yet, Will update with results.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of our fashion design?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I dropped off my application at the store and they contacted me soon after for an interview. We had a short interview with normal interview questions and it was a very easy process.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in retail, and more specifically, why J. Crew?   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in August 2014.

The interview was very basic, relaxed, and laid back. The person interviewing me seemed very casual and didn't ask any difficult questions. She told me upfront that J. Crew hires people not necessarily according to experience, but personality. After the interview, they called me a week later with the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you had to turn a bad situation into a good outcome.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I saw a posting outside of a new J. Crew store to open in my city and sent in a resume to the email address. I was contacted back within a few days to schedule an interview. I went in for an interview that was mostly fit--asked me about who I was, what my interests were, why J. Crew, what my favorite style was, what was my personal style, my greatest strengths and weaknesses, all pretty straightforward and what you would expect from a reasonable fit interview. My employer called me back within a few days to give me the offer but said that the background check needed to formally go through before he could extend the official offer. The background check came back clean, I was extended the offer, and went to training and work fairly shortly afterwards.

Selector Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew.

The process was very easy and very short. I was only brought in once for a single interview and was practically given the position on the spot. They reviewed the job functions and salary and asked me if I was okay with everything that they had outlines

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in July 2014.

Application is submitted in-store only. At submission of application a manger will ask basic questions such as availability, why J Crew, and work experience. Following, a manager will reach out for an interview. My interview for a small store was pretty quick and one-on-one, with the HR manager asking many questions such as why J Crew, basic selling strategy, etc. Nothing out of left field. Then the store manager also does an interview. Few personal questions are asked, but the managers are very attentive to responses.

Interview Questions
    I was able to request a schedule I liked and negotiated a possible raise in the future based on performance.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH (US)

I applied through other source – interviewed at J. Crew in July 2014.

Pretty straight forward process. I walk in to the store, meet the store director and she reviewed my resume. Then the director schedule the interview date the following week.

Interview Questions
    • questions pretty general: related to previous job experiences, how you handle upset customers?   Answer Question