J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated 8 Apr 2015
Updated 8 Apr 2015

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

It was a group interview, lots of people. You really had to make sure you stood out from the group. Made weeding out less friendly, quiet people easy. A little weird only because the interview was around other customers.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Applied for new store open through job posting online. Had in-person interview 2 weeks after applying with their Store Director. Interview lasted about 30 minutes and was, he claims rarely, offered a position when the interview concluded.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in retail? When have you exhibited exemplary customer service? What is the best customer service experience you've ever had? What was the worse?   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Interview

The process began with a phone interview from HR Corporate, followed by 2 separate interviews, one with the new store director and one with the store director at a different location. Did not interview with the District Manager, which I expected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Interview was more conversational than the standard interview questions   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Manager went over my resume and asked about my past experiences with customers. Gave me situational questions about customer experiences to see how I would respond. Also asked where I get my style/fashion inspiration. Overall pretty easy interview just to gauge how well you can work with customers and sell product (somewhat commission based job)

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at J. Crew (Howell, MI (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I originally handed in my application when the manager was unavailable to speak with me at the moment, the associate manger took my application and asked me a few questions such as "why do I want to work at J. Crew?" Later that day the head manger called and apologized for not meeting me in person and said she would file for my background check that day. Two days later I called after not hearing anything and asked about my application process, the associate manger said that me background check had just came in today and that the head store manger would call me the following day to schedule a formal interview. After hearing nothing the following day I went into the store in person the next day and spoke to the store manger. She was very polite and kind, she gave me a formal interview in the office of the store that day and we discussed availability and pay and she told to to come in the upcoming Friday to finalize some paperwork and to find a start date.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work at J. Crew?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given room to negotiate my wage, but I did not want to push my luck and seem demanding so I accepted J. Crews base wage which is $9.10 an hour which is much more than my states minimum wage. They were also very flexible about my hours given the fact that I am a full time student.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I first talked with an HR recruiter in January (20 min conversation) about my background and then was emailing with her until March when I went into the corporate offices for a group interview. The group interview consisted of 3-4 individual interviews with different merchants (this was for a merchandising intern) and then as a group, we were interviewed by the CEO Mickey Drexler. Definitely be prepared to answer what J.Crew could do better, your favorite stores and why, and other industry questions.

Interview Questions

• What could J.Crew do better?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

I applied in store during the holiday season so it was a bit hectic. Was given an interview on the spot by the manager. They liked me and had me fill out a background check that same day. I was told they'd follow up with me once my background check cleared. As I said before, I applied two weeks before Christmas so it was busy for them and the total hiring process took about 2 months. I followed up with them every two weeks just to show interest in the position and was called in once the season was over. For the initial walk in I wore a fitted Oxford button down shirt, colored chinos and leather boots. I was offered the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience, any experience in retail? What do you know about the brand? What days would you be available to work?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Applied online, and heard back the next day. Asked me to walk them through my resume and work experience. Interview Process was smooth, and the people I talked with were very nice. Followed with basic interview questions, like why I chose my major, and why I think I'm a good fit etc.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

The process took about a week. I was called to come in for an interview and it was a group interview with one of the girl in myself. It was cool because I never been in a group interview before and I found it to be interesting.

Interview Questions

• Who are J.Crew competitors?
      What amazes J.Crew different from other places

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

The interview process was very swift and easy, from the interview to hire it took a little over a week for the background check to clear. The staff is very friendly which is a huge plus.

Interview Questions

• Where was the best customer service you've ever experienced? and why?   1 Answer