J. Crew

Updated 16 Nov 2014
Updated 16 Nov 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

-Applied through university career link
    -Walked in resume before I received a call back from university application
    -Called 3 times within 2 weeks to show genuine interest in landing an interview
    -Got an interview with the hiring manager
    -Received a call within a week with a job offer

Interview Questions
    • What do you have to offer J.Crew (having no retail experience)?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I went in to the store and asked if they were hiring. They weren't at the time, but when I came back two weeks later with a filled out application they had openings. So I ended up having an interview with one of the managers on the spot and then was able to interview with the store manager a few minutes later. Very simple interview. I didn't wear any J. Crew apparel but I did wear clothing that looked like it could be sold there. Both interviews were casual and more conversational than question based, though they did ask questions they needed to know, while trying to get to know me personally.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

I was interviewed by two managers and it was very relaxing. They asked me to talk about myself and tried to get to know me a bit better. Then moved onto asking about the brand and my previous experience etc. It is not a hard interview at all unless you don't know anything about the brand.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or challenging. I had a question where they asked me what may be the biggest challenges in this role and how can you overcome this. This was slightly unexpected, I've never had this question in my previous retail interviews. But overall it is not a difficult question. Just be yourself and show interests in the company!   Answer Question

Associate Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Received a phone call for interview, had the interview with the HR Recruiter, Area and Regional Manager, and had an offer very shortly after. The interview wasn't strange or in-depth, but the HR Recruiter was very focused and asked questions regarding my life rather than experience. They are interested in finding the right person (when it comes to the US).

Interview Questions
    • What are the most important qualities that a manager can have?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I went into factory location and asked the manager if I could fill out a job application. The application is very basic: education level, previous employment, background, etc. Then I was told that someone would get in touch with me the following week to set up an interview. That never happened. So i bugged the crap out them over a few days. The interview was very informal. I wore business casual attire (all J. Crew) and answered very typical interview questions. I was told to expect a call within the week informing me of their decision, but one never came. I called the manager again. He was very straight forward, but told me no decision has been made. He called the next day informing me that I had the job. I was very proactive during this process: I called the manager to set up the interview and then again to find out my status. I believe this helped me land the job. When I worked there, we had a lot of people come in and fill out applications, so I think it would be impossible to give them all interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew.

They process took a couple of weeks, I applied online and got a call back maybe two to three weeks later. They brought me in for a one on one interview with a manager at the Chicago location. The interview itself wasn't too difficult, I was offered to come in for a paid training session and then I was able to start at JCrew.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anythung too difficult, was asked about precious retail experience as well as situational examples.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I went into a local store one day and asked the manager if I could fill out a job application. The application is very typical: education level, previous employment, background, etc. Then I was told that someone would get in touch with me the following week to set up an interview. That never happened. So I called the manager, and I set up an interview with the hiring manager. The interview was very informal. I wore business casual attire (all J. Crew) and answered very typical interview questions: how would I deal with an angry client, how would I handle a confrontation with a coworker, etc. I was told to expect a call within the week informing me of their decision, but one never came. I called the manager again. She was very nice, but told me no decision has been made. She called the next day informing me that I had the job. I was very proactive during this process: I called the manager to set up the interview and then again to find out my status. I believe this helped me land the job. When I worked there, we had a lot of people come in and fill out applications, so I think it would be impossible to give them all interviews. So I think only the proactive applicants were able to land interviews and receive a job offer.

Vice President Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at J. Crew.

Got in through executive search firm. After 2 rounds of interviews, including one with the hiring manager, was told the role was being redefined.

Great atmosphere in the NYC office. Very bright people. Interview with HR more structured, but with hiring manager very conversational and casual. Was not in a typical conference room. We were sitting on couches.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

You have to pick up the application in store and may be asked some questions on the spot. After filling out the application I got a call back about a week later and set up an interview for the next day. Interviewed with manager and it was all very standard, relaxed, and casual. Dress preppy and have a good understanding of the brand.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work for J. Crew?"
      "What would you do if you saw someone stealing?"
        Answer Question

Declined because I was offer a better paying position somewhere else.

Customer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew in October 2014.

Applied online. Took an assessment online and got an email asking to call in for a phone screen interview with recruiter. Recruiter was fast paced. Haven't received a job offer yet, Will update with results.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of our fashion design?   View Answer