J. Crew

Average Difficulty
204 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Part Time Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2012.

Interview Details Got interviewed on the spot at a job fair. Very easy, it took only 8 minutes until I got hired. I think they were also impressed because I was a design student. They asked very simple questions, such as "What do you do during your free time?", "Why do you want to work for J. Crew?"

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2013.

Interview Details Went into the factory store and overheard the store director talking about a need for employees to work in the men's section, so I asked for an application. Filled it out, brought it back in, and the store director set up an interview right then. Came back for my interview on a Friday, and it was nothing extremely difficult. A good bit of personal questions. He told me once the interview was finished that I should hear from him by Monday if I got the job or not. Monday came and no call, so I waited until Tuesday and called the store and the store director finally told me that I was hired.

Interview Question – Describe a situation that didn't go exactly as planned, but you made work despite the issues.   View Answer

Manchester, CT (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in May 2010.

Interview Details I was referred by a friend so the actual hiring process was expedited for me. Because I had a strong resume the interview seemed more about ensuring I was a good fit (i.e. personable, well-spoken, polished, etc.)

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected, it was a fairly easy and straightforward interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied through the store and filled out the paper application. After a week I received a call to have an interview in the store. The interview was with one of the store managers and it was very casual and informal. Some of the questions that were asked were: how would describe Jcrews style? what stores do you buy your clothes at? who would you say Jcrews competitors are? where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

Interview Question – The questions were very straight forward and easy to answer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – My work load for school became to heavy.

Merchadise Processor Interview

Merchadise Processor

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in July 2013.

Interview Details Put in an online application, received a phone call the next day to schedule an interview. Scheduled interview for 20 days later. Interview is a one on one interview process where they ask you questions about previous work experience and responsibilities, your personality, and what kind a person you would want to work for.

Interview Question – none of the questions were difficult, it was just a basic assessment of your work ethic, history, and personality.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied this position on their hiring system, and it took me a while to finish all the process. Next day, I got a call to have my first interview, and during the interview, I filled up the application form and asked many questions about my previous working experiences, what did I learn, and why I left...etc., and the most related questions are about why choose J.Crew. After a few days, they called me to set up the second interview with another supervisor, he asked me my personal style, what are my favorite shops, and what do you think of J.Crew...etc. The result came out for a long time, it took about 2 weeks to process and check background.

Interview Question – If your friends don't know J.Crew, how would you introduce the brand to them? What is different between J.Crew and other competitors?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Working schedule

Part Time Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details I saw a posting outside of a new J. Crew store to open in my city and sent in a resume to the email address. I was contacted back within a few days to schedule an interview. I went in for an interview that was mostly fit--asked me about who I was, what my interests were, why J. Crew, what my favorite style was, what was my personal style, my greatest strengths and weaknesses, all pretty straightforward and what you would expect from a reasonable fit interview. My employer called me back within a few days to give me the offer but said that the background check needed to formally go through before he could extend the official offer. The background check came back clean, I was extended the offer, and went to training and work fairly shortly afterwards.

Interview Question – How would you describe your own fashion style?   Answer Question

Selector Interview

Selector

I applied online and interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details The process was very easy and very short. I was only brought in once for a single interview and was practically given the position on the spot. They reviewed the job functions and salary and asked me if I was okay with everything that they had outlines

Hackensack, NJ (US)

I interviewed at J. Crew in May 2013.

Interview Details Pros – The discount is great! 50% off all sale items that end in .99
Depending on what store you are at the hours may not be that bad
The managment was relaxed but strict when they needed to be

Cons – You need to have pateinces to deal with the clients that come into the store
Many will mess up a pile of freshly folded clothes that you have to go back and continue to fix

Interview Question – compare jcrew to other retailers.   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Support Interview

Cashier/Sales Support
Garden City, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at J. Crew in May 2012.

Interview Details There was just one interview, and you pretty much found out on the spot if you got it (if you don't find out immediately you probably didn't get it). You speak with the hiring manager (there were 4 different managers and 1 key holder, which is like an assistant manager in that he/she has the store key and occasionally opens/closes the store) for 10-20 minutes and you get the standard interview questions (more on the questions below).

Interview Question – Everything was straightforward, no trick questions. Tell me about yourself, what are your hobbies, do you like working with people, do you see yourself as a cashier or a sales person, etc.   Answer Question

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!