Jefferies & Company

Updated 8 Nov 2014
Updated 8 Nov 2014

3.2

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2014.

Applied through campus recruiting and heard back a few weeks later by email. Heard by email on a Tuesday about the interview that Friday so there wasn't too much time to prepare. The interview process was very basic and very organized. Mostly fit questions were asked. I was not asked any technical questions. Questions relating my schoolwork to the job description.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

I had two interviews on sequential days. First interview was with the team I would be working with, the second interview was the managing director of the department. I was offered the job within an hour of returning to my desk at my previous employer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your opinion of the film "Blair Witch Project"   Answer Question
    They made me an offer of one salary, I asked them to up the offer slightly and they agreed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Referred by an employee. First round phone interview then superday at their New York office. Two rounds of interviews with two Jefferies' employees. Heard back within a few days that I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Basic technical questions asked (accounting, valuation methods). Some questions they asked merely to throw you off (What are your 5 greatest weaknesses, why don't you have a 4.0 GPA) so be prepared for that. Have a few stories where you showed teamwork, leadership, and being able to respond to senior management.   Answer Question

IB Analyst Interview

interviewed with 2 people - a VP and an associate. One about past transactions and the other quantitative questions. They have many transactions and they are proud of their deal flow.

Trader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Initial round of interviews was pleasant and succinct. Met with most members of the team in the course of a 3 hour afternoon session. Second round with management was also brief, but less enjoyable. In hindsight, it gave an excellent indication of the uninspired manner in which the overall company is run.

Vice President -- Risk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Phone, in-person interviews (3 rounds). Final round was meeting the seniors. Mediocre interviewers, so no need to worry too much. Most of the interviews were just talk-talk, nothing very serious.

Interview Questions
    • Salary negotiation. They always try to low-ball you. You need to stay firm, and push back!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in July 2014.

I was referred by an employee and then was contacted by an IB associate for an interview time. I was interviewed over the phone and the process took about 20 min. It was not very difficult and he was very pleasant over the phone. About a week later I was notified that they would not be moving on with my application.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Wasn't too hard. There were some technical questions, but they pretty much walked you through it and held your hand. It was more to see how you fit from a technical perspective. I met with all the senior bankers and never had a question that was like "how many marbles can fill an airplane, etc...". I thought it was more them trying to sell me than anything. But all in all, it wasn't too bad and was I left feeling very good about the job after I left. Got a call later that day that the job was mine.

Summer Analyst Interview

First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Questions
    • A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in March 2014.

The guy who interviewed me forgot about the schedule and left me waiting for an hour... And then we finished the interview in a rush... Never got any update since then