LexisNexis Legal & Professional

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

Cary, NC (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in January 2012.

Interview Details Recruiter contacted me after seeing my resume posted online. Wanted to conduct the interview right on the spot which allowed me no time to prepare. After negotiating a more appropriate time to conduct the call we spoke the next day for a half hour.

As a product manager, I've worked multiple product launches and understand the preparation that goes into the launch planning process. I asked the interviewer about the products the department managed and launched and she said she wasn't sure what they were. I asked her also about what stage of the development cycle they were in and she wasn't sure. My questions of her left me feeling that she really had no idea what the position was about.

The questions asked of me were the typical behavior based ones and asked me examples of products I brought to market which I provided a few. She also asked me if I would be willing to relocate for the job which is 5 minutes from my home, which left me scratching my head a bit, but I answered nicely and politely that I am local already for the position.

Overall, a pretty bizarre interview process and I didn't receive a call back but if given the opportunity I would talk with them again.

Interview Question – Would you relocate for the position?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in May 2007.

Interview Details The hiring manager held a very brief interview as I believe they had previously narrowed the candidates up front and had supreme confidence in my ability. The difficult portion of the process was the interview with the 2nd level manager and with the peer managers to prove my ability to successfully take on the new position. The 2nd level manager was clearly excited to bring aboard an energized individual with new perspectives and a broader outlook on the industry, whereas some of the peer managers were more skeptical. I believe the skepticism stemmed from the company's culture, specifically the notion that if you are a lawyer or went to law school then you automatically qualified for ANY position and if you did not, then its is up in the air. In many ways this notion has led to troubled times and struggles in many areas as these "former lawyers" tend to only think about the way they would practice or approach a problem (even if they practiced 5, 10, or 20 years ago) and not embrace how customers work today. Also, simply because you have a legal background does not mean you will fit in and excel within a traditional corporate environment. Today more and more individuals are being given the opportunity despite the hesitation of some from within the "must be a lawyer" camp, as those given a chance have proven their worth/merit via business skills, intelligence, and communication - what you really need to succeed in most positions within the company.

Interview Question – Not totally unexpected, but "what is your greatest weakness?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary is negotiable, up to a point. With the way the job bands work, you will hit a cap at some point. Benefits I am told are non-negotiable now, but in the past you could work to get additional vacation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Worked for LexisNexis Legal & Professional? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LexisNexis Legal & Professional Product Manager interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by LexisNexis Legal & Professional employees and interview candidates.