Lockheed Martin Software Engineer Associate Interview Questions

Updated 12 Apr 2015

1.8

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lockheed Martin (Vienna, VA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

It took a month from the time I submitted my application to the time I was contacted about getting an interview, and from there, the process took one week from the interview to receive an offer. The interview was surprisingly easy. I was expecting for them to drill me with technical questions, but all the questions were focused on soft skills. At the end, I joked about it saying, "I'm relieved, I thought you were going to ask me about technical stuff." The guy who interviewed me responded by saying that the reason I was even in the room was because they thought that I was solid on the technical side. Thus, the questions were typical of every interview that I have had so far. They asked about challenges that I had to overcome, about leadership positions that I have taken over my academic career, about the internships on my resume and what skills I learned from them, etc. I would say that I am comfortable talking about these things in an interview, so the interview for me was pretty easy. The sad thing was that the offer that they ultimately extended me was incredibly low. Not only was it 8-10k below the national average for this position, but the job was located in Washington, D.C. I told my recruiter that this number undervalued my skills in the current market, especially in an incredibly expensive city, and I countered with what I found to be the national average (salary.com had it at around 66k) or the option to obtain this offer for a cheaper city. They declined the counter and I subsequently declined the original offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to overcome a challenge   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Lockheed Martin

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Interview

Very casual and friendly interview. Mostly Personality based and what you know. Not very technical. Sat down with several members and discussed the various positions offered. Were able to answer all of my questions clearly and were very approachable.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging project you've been a part of?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, PA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lockheed Martin (Grove City, PA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a staffing agency about a contract opportunity at Lockheed Martin and given an opportunity to interview by phone. The interview was around 25 minutes long with an HR manager and a project team lead, and we discussed my academic experiences, projects, experience developing software in teams, and proficiency with certain version control software. My answers seemed to impress them, although I was surprised by the lack of direct behavioural and technical questions. About a week later I was notified through the staffing agency I had been offered the position. Still no further technical questions, so I think they really place a lot of emphasis on your personality and enthusiasm in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project where you programmed in a team.

What kinds of version control software have you used or are familiar with?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lockheed Martin (Gaithersburg, MD (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a few weeks later I got an email from a recruiter asking to set up a meeting. I scheduled a day and drove up and had an hour long interview with the manager and another member of my team. They asked me no technical questions and asked me to explain things that I had on my resume. They in turn let me ask questions, and so I did. As I left, I asked the manager why there weren't any technical questions and he said that if you managed to graduate then they assume you know the base knowledge. Talking about stuff on your resume let them know whether you knew your stuff or not.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had another offer and so they were able to match my new offer to just a little under the other offer, which I preferred since the other offer was a lot farther from home than I wanted.

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Syracuse, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Lockheed Martin (North Syracuse, NY (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from them in a few weeks. Asked me to come in for an on-site interview. They paid for a hotel room the night before, and would have paid for airfare, but I drove there since I wasn't too far.
    The on-site interview was a day (8am-1pm) with me and 5 other people. First they gave us a short presentation about Lockheed, life in Syracuse, and what specifically they do at that location. Then we were split up for three one-on-one interviews, each with a software engineer (or software engineering manager). There were three different types of interviews: HR, experience, and technical skills. One consisted of a very short, very simple programming test; it took about 5 minutes. Everyone was really friendly and very helpful with any questions I had. Then we were given a tour of the facility (just one building because it was snowing), and a free lunch catered by a place in town.
    It was really nice and definitely made me more interested in Lockheed Martin.

However, after accepting the offer, I was required to apply for a government security clearance before I can be officially "cleared for hire." I'm still waiting to hear back for this and was told it could take 2-3 months, or possibly up to a year. My recruiter said I will most likely hear a few weeks before I'm supposed to start.

Interview Questions

• HR interview was about personal interactions, teamwork, etc.
      Experience was about projects I have done and general software engineering development.
      Technical was about my experience coding (what languages used, etc), and a short programming quiz. Not difficult at all.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lockheed Martin (Vienna, VA (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

It was an interview straightforward to your resume, asking questions about your experience and 3 or 4 behavioral questions and easy to answer.
    One question of "code".....

The next month I received a email from my recruiter saying that I don't have an offer.

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Lockheed Martin (King of Prussia, PA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online through their website and was contacted the next week. The lady then scheduled me for an on-site interview at my convenience. The people interviewing my we're really nice.

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Lockheed Martin.

Interview

Got a phone call by a recruiter to set up a profile and got bumped up to a Program Manager's view. About 2 weeks later I got an email to confirm an interview date. It was a group interview with different Program Managers. Was asked basic interview questions like "how do you handle a specific situation". More behavior questions than anything. Nothing technical at all.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about telling a customer that what they wanted was way out of scope of the project?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was more than I expected so I accepted.

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Papillion, NE (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lockheed Martin (Papillion, NE (US)) in March 2013.

Interview

Many months ago I filled out an online profile at the LM website because I was a senior in college and interested in working there. Several months later, I received an email from a recruiter who asked me if I was interested in a position that fit my skills and preferences. I replied that I was interested and an interview was setup for the following week. When I arrived, I was immediately met by an employee who asked me several questions about my background to determine if I would be eligible for the required clearance. Following that, I met with another man who took me to a room for the interview. There, I talked to the hiring manager and a representative for LM. They asked me to walk through my resume and go over any and all experiences I had listed on there. The hiring manager wanted details about projects I've worked on and any experience that might relate to this position. The hiring manager then told me about the position and answered any technical questions I had. He then left and I was left with the LM representative who told me about the company and what it's like to work there. Upon leaving, he told me that I should hear back the end of the week. The next day I received a call that I would be receiving an offer, and was emailed a link to fill out more information, which I'm assuming is used to determine a starting salary. Overall, I was very happy with the experience, as a graduating senior I have had many interviews and the communication and promptness of LM was by far the best experience.

Interview Questions

• Majority of questions they asked me were about school projects and experience at internships.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You have to fill out some forms before you get an offer which ask you a desired salary. I received an offer that was very close to what I asked, and I didn't attempt to negotiate because I felt like the offer was fair.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lockheed Martin.

Interview

I got called in for an in person interview. The guy gave me a couple of basic behavioral questions. Then, he gave me 3 technical questions. It was pretty relaxing but I felt it wasn't taken seriously.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between an abstract class and an interface?(easy question that i remembered).   Answer Question