MIT Interview Questions

Updated 18 Apr 2015

2.9

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MIT in February 2013.

Interview

I applied for Mechanical Engineering department for Master degree.

I got email for scheduling Skype interview from the faculty and next week I had interview with the faculty.

The faculty interviewer is the one I referred on my SOP as whom I want work with.

But he told me that that was just general interview for whole departmental level, not just for his lab.

He told me that they don't usually interview like this for Master applicant in their department but policy was changed from that year.

The interview was really casual around 30 mins interview in very casual atmosphere.

I just briefly talked about my prior research experiences and he asked some questions.

It took more than 2 months to be declined and thought I was on the wait list.

Hope this would be helpful for you guys!

Interview Questions

• When is the most frustrated moment in your research experience?   Answer Question
    • When is the most enjoyable moment in your research experience?   Answer Question

Master of Finance Interview

Interview

Normal application process with essays and interviews
    Interviews are all fit questions such as why this program? Why you? What's your career goal? Give me an example when you lead a team. Give me an example when you are a team player.

Interview Questions

• Not really. What courses/professors you are interested in. Be sure to get familiar with the course name.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA (US)).

Interview

- Initial contact per Email (included resume, previous work experience, etc.)
    - three recommendation letters were necessary
    - followed by a Skype interview
    - after that personal invitation for an interview
    - The interview was relaxed and easy going. Mostly talking about former work experience and how this matches with the group. Evaluation of possible projects. No in depth scientific questions.

Interview Questions

• I am getting 8 applications each day. Why should I hire you over the other applicants?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Teaching obligations are negotiable.

Interview

I applied through MIT's website for a position at the Sloan School of Management. The recruiter contacted me and we set up a day/time for a phone interview. On the day of the interview, I had a private spot scoped out to conduct the call and had all my talking points printed out - I was ready. Then I received a call on my cell, didn't recognize the number, but out of habit, answered it. It was the recruiter calling 1/2 hour early! Needless to say, I was thrown off, but didn't feel as if I could ask her to call back so I went to my spot and proceeded. Basically I was thrown way off my game, didn't stick to my talking points and flubbed the entire interview as a result. Despite this, I still sent a thank you note and follow up email weeks later to inquiry about my status. As you can guess, I was not invited for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked about social media experience, which is a common question. But although I work with the team at my current job who handles social media to manage communications through these channels, the fact that I was not the one who hit the send button was deeemd an unacceptable answer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MIT in October 2012.

Interview

I got a phone interview from the HR first. It was short, about 10-15 minutes. She just checked some points on the resume and gave some explaination about the position. Then she scheduled site interview with me immediately. The site interview ended after only one question, do you need visa sponsorship?

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT.

Interview

Submitted resume through online application process

Was contacted by phone and after brief discussion of the position arranged an interview acouple days later. The in person interview wa slong and involved the manager then a group interview with coworkers. Topics covered wer both social/customer interation, personal organization and priorization, and lots of hypothetical problem resolution and white boarding questions

Interview Questions

• describe what happens when you type "ping www.google.com"   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT.

Interview

Applied online and a week or two later was contacted for an onsite interview, no phone screen. Met with three people individually: someone in the position, direct superior, and their manager. Talked a lot about what the job entailed and did some hypothetical situations in the first interview. The second was just about skills necessary for the job. The last was more or less just to get to know each other/additional questions. Very enjoyable process.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA (US)) in September 2012.

Interview

Interview with PI and then second interview with whole lab. Was asked a range of questions, ranging from career objectives to details about SQL programming. PI was very relaxed and happy to help me get to the US. The culture of the lab was relaxed and it was important to be considered part of the team.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation possible

Undergraduate Researcher, Student Interview

Interview

Student - Asked questions about work, why interested in attending, areas of interest, etc.
    Interview relatively short (about 30 - 40 min).
    UROP - Asked some questions about background, what sort of things I was interested in, got to interview after sending email expressing interest in working with professor, later applied for funding for project + made a proposal

Interview Questions

• If you are so interested in <subject1>, why are you interested in majoring in <subject2> instead?   1 Answer

Vice President of Finance Staff Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MIT.

Interview

3 interviews. First with hiring manager, then with senior directors. Interview with HR director was particularly unusual with shockingly inappropriate questions. HR team revealed budget for position only to then make offer that came below. Everything was great about the interview except for contact with HR.

Negotiation

Non negotiable salary.