Macy's Interview Questions in Houston, TX

Updated 10 Apr 2015
Updated 10 Apr 2015

2.2

Flight Attendants Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Basically like everyone else says. Walk in and someone from inflight does a presentation about being a flight attendant, company history etc. Then the interviewers come in each one has a name. You go back to a room you have between 1-4 other ppl in the room interviewing at the same time. They ask you the usual customer service questions. If they like you they tell you they want to ask you a few more question. Two people (more than likely) from HR ask you. Few more questions way easier than the first set of questions. Basically are you ready for the change, ready to relocate if need be. They tell you to step out for a few minutes while they talk. They came back after about three minutes and offered me the job. Immediately went back to the airport did drug screening, vision and hearing tests.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with a difficult coworker?
      What's a misconception that you think a customer would have about you?
      Why do you want to be a FA?

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macy's (The Woodlands, TX (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I have to pass an aplication online, that it was not easy and they called for an interview. They ask me about differents aspects of the person that I am, like integrity and the experience that I had and how it would help me for this job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time were you change someone's mind about something   Answer Question

I wanted a full time job and I though that they weren't offering enough

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through college recruiting. I met a recruiter on my campus and was directed to apply online through my college's career service website. I was then contacted for the initial interview, which consisted of a 30 minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute business case. The night before the interview I attended a "pre-night" session. This is crucial! Go to this. The case involved selecting an employee to invest time in coaching to improve overall sales. I then was contacted for an on-site interview. We had a webinar the Monday before the event that had some information on logistics. The on-site interview is a two-day process. The first day consists of an orientation, a tour, and a networking dinner. The second day consists of our interviews: 1 behavioral, 1 based on questions they have about you from the online assessments, an individual business case, and a group exercise.

I met some great people throughout the interview process and learned a lot, but one of my issues was that during the webinar, one of the recruiters told us that there is a job for each of us if we were the right people. This is a little misleading in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to convey something unpleasant to a supervisor.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job position online. The following day I received an email alerting me to schedule a convenient day and time to interview. I scheduled my interview for a week later, and over the 7 day period I received 3 confirmation emails notifying me about my upcoming interview, including the day of. Upon showing up for my interview on time at the office I was directed to go to, I was told by a very nice lady that they were no longer hiring. She then told me I should come back in March to try again, and that she was sorry for the inconvenience. Then, 3 days after my scheduled interview I recieved an email from Macy's telling me that they were no longer hiring at the location I applied to. I could not believe how unprofessional Macy's was.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview went really well. The person who interviewed me was very nice and energetic. She asked basic questions. Such as why Macy's? How are you with people etc. She also asked a lot of scenario questions. After the interview she left and then came back into the room within a matter of minutes and offered me an open position. Overall the experience was great.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you used teamwork to achieve a task?   Answer Question
    • If you just sold jeans to a customer how would get them to come back next time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very fast. Minimum wage. Macy's discount. Must have open availability Saturday and Sunday.

Visual Merchandising Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

I had been wanting to get into visual merchandising for a long time so when I got the call for an interview I was so excited! The day of the interview I couldn't have been more prepared and I drove an hour away to get there. Obviously that's how bad I wanted the job, anyways I drove all that way just to hear them say the position was filled. I never have been so disappointed. I understand they may have had other interviews, but they don't take the time to interview everyone and then decide? And they couldn't have called me ahead of time to let me know? They took the time to call and schedule an interview? They just told me to apply for other positions, but they were positions I wasn't interested in. I did get a second call from a different location and got to interview with them and it went great! Very comfortable and nice people. It was more than one person so it made me nervous at first, but talking with them made me feel right at home.

AST Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

My interview was filled with surprised as I interviewed with 3 supervisors- the 1st in which after perusing my résumé felt there were two other positions more suitable than the one I was there to interview for. The final interview was with the HR Director. I was offered the AST position. The interview process was a very positive one.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

A negotiation phase was not required.

Application

Interview

Applied online and received attention almost immediately. You schedule an interview on the internet. The person who was supposed to interview me was out of the store at the time so another manager interviewed me. Most of the questions were either about experience or customer service. By the end I had spoken to three managers, the first of whom asked what department I would like to work in.

Interview Questions

• How will you create a great customer experience?   1 Answer

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an invitation to schedule an appointment and did for the following day. When I arrived the first thing I noticed was the smell... it smelled like urine, the carpet was dirty and there were boxes everywhere. The receptionist asked for my name and said I was not on the "list", after ten minutes, she said that Carlos was on his way. Five minutes later a guy came to the reception and grab some papers, said hi Ms. My Name and started walking, I had to assumed that he was Carlos and followed him to his office. He closed the door and ask me to take a sit (chair was dirty), he had candy wrappers everywhere... anyways, after 30 seconds of silence (while he looked at my application) he said, "Yeah no, that's a problem". I said, "I'm sorry?", he said, "your schedule, that's a problem. I'm sorry". End of interview. I wasted my lunch hour to go to this interview. This people don't look at your application beforehand and don't even bother to make any eye contact.
    Very unprofessional.

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted to interview for a Asst. Store manager position at a store farther away even though I applied for one here in my City. The manager said it wasn't available but they did have a sales manager position there. I agreed to interview for that one 2 days later.
    I arrived early and took a stroll around the entire store ready to be able to critique it when asked (any experienced hiring manager should ask that question to a prospective sales manager). I was very early so I headed upstairs where I overheard my hiring manager talking to another manager about a "cute Hispanic girl" she just interviewed and she loved her energy and that she wanted THAT girl (and she asked the other manager "don't you agree?!")
    I should have just walked out at that point because I knew this woman would not be open to my interview or the answers I had... I spent the first 10 minutes describing how I single handedly brought together various people together to work on a project I created for the City and the less fortunate families, which just so happen to include the store manager from another sister store. Focusing on my ability to not only identify a problem, observe the situation, come up with a solution and implement that solution by working as a team (obviously as the leader of such team)
    She then said "oh, I see that you worked in an office... You don't work very often with people do you".
    Very frustrating. I felt this woman was completely closed off and didn't hear a word I said. Worse, she asked nothing about my positions (one is pretty impressive) and nothing about my education (one of my degrees happen to be social studies, concentrating on Psychology) I understand how people think and how they will react to situations.
    She had no creative questions, they were all pre-printed in front of her. One of the questions was where do I see myself 5 years from now. Obviously I told her that I'd like to be given increasing responsibility hopefully within this company, learning every facet I can in order to move up to store manager. I mentioned that I appreciated the opportunity to have interviewed for the other position as store asst manager at X mall where she flat out lied to my face saying she never mentioned it. (Did I pull that information out of the air then?)
    I understand that hiring managers usually look for applicants that closely mirror themselves, and in this instance it's a shame, she will end up hiring that girl and they will continue with the status quo at that store. You should always strive to surround yourself with those that would make you and the company successful... And not worry about who might be too good and take over your job.
    I've interviewed for management in this company before and am well aware of the practices. You interview with one person, then they stick you in a room and interview with the 2nd. She said on a Friday afternoon during our interview that the next round of interviews were being held Monday and then let me walk out the door. (Have a nice day!)

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years   1 Answer
    • What do you do about conflict
      (This should have been "how do you handle conflict between 2 associates")

1 Answer