Macy's

Getting the Interview

704 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details They will ask you about why you want to work for Macy's, to talk about a group success and what you did to achieve it/be apart of the success, how you can start a conversation with a stranger, what you would suggest as additional merchandise to a customer, how would you celebrate a sale with a customer, and what's your schedule like and how flexible are you in a retail environment.

Interview Question – How do plan on opening Star Rewards Credit Cards for your customers in order to meet your required goals?   Answer Question

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Online application and then your paperwork is sent through the selection process to a place in Florida. It takes about two weeks before they will send a email to request for you to sign up for an interview slot through an email link. If the email link shows no slots available then you must check that link everyday until one slot becomes available. The system is in real time so if someone cancels on that day you could take their spot.

There are 9 questions based on M.A.G.I.C. an acronym that reflects the selling behaviors you must have to sale at Macy's.
M - Meet and make a Connection: be willing to tell about experiences that you have been able to approach random/unknown people and create a connection with them through asking questions and then be able to create a sale or persuade them to do what you wanted them to do.
A - Ask questions and listen: be willing to demonstrate how you would ask OPEN ENDED questions throughout your selling journey to get the customer to open up and how you would be able to listen to what the customer is really saying in order to capture a sale. For example if a customer wanted pants you would ask about brand, color, style, length, and other details.
G - Give options and advice: be able to tell how your would go above and beyond to give more options to the customers. For example if the customer bought pants you would suggest a top or shoes.
I - Inspire to buy more: be able to tell about experiences that connect to how you could get the customers to come back by getting more info or building a relationship by taking the persons info and calling them on the next sale. And also suggesting other sales within the store.
C - Celebrate the purchase: be able to tell how you would get this person to feel good about the purchase they just made. For example by telling the customers "I think you just found the perfect item for your event come back and tell me how it went."

For each question answer with the structure of the situation, what you did, and how well it turned out.

Interview Question – The last two question vary for every person. Whatever the question answer in the middle never answer with a complete loyalty to one side. For example if they ask do you like detailed work or work that is broad... you give reasons for why both would be good. If they ask do you like to be given direction or have your own control...you answer with reasons why both would be good.   Answer Question

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Walked in. Talked over my previous positions and what made me tick. After about 10 minutes, they offered me the position. It was all in all, a pretty comfortable interview without any real complications. I would suggest this sort of interview process over and over again. It really helps to boost an applicant's confidence and ego.

Interview Question – What was your toughest time selling something?   Answer Question

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Manager had a bad attitude when she interviewed me. Very unprofessional. I then met with the store manager at the time. He was very nice and professional. He asked me about my goals, school, and why did I choose to apply with the company. The guys at the company are really friendly, some of the women........not so much.

Interview Question – Na   Answer Question

Bronx, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied one day and got an email to schedule an interview the next day. I had about a 15 min interview. I searched all this questions practicing answers but the questions were simple. she told me she would call me next day and she didn't and I got nervous I even called and they told ne she would call me and I lost hope but she called 5 days later and set my training for the next day.

Interview Question – basically about selling the credit cards   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details I applied online and received an email about a week later to schedule an interview. I went in extremely nervous, and the unfriendly interviewer didn't make me feel any more comfortable. She asked simple questions off of a sheet of paper: Why did you apply to Macy's? What would you do if you saw someone stealing? How would you make the customer feel good about their purchase? How would you sell someone a Macy's card? The questions themselves weren't difficult, but the interviewer had made up her mind halfway through that she wasn't going to hire me and it showed, so it was a stressful experience.

Interview Question – How would you adapt to changes in the workplace?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Interview was the normal questions, e.g. Why would you like to work for Macy's? What would be a weakness of yours?

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you witnessed something that was not right in the workplace.   View Answer

Pasadena, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details Hiring process was really fast. Went in for an interview and was called back a couple hours after. Very basic questions why do you want to work here,have you ever seen someone do something that was wrong, etc.

Interview Question – For a person with no experience how would you encourage someone to open an account.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details they ask you some questions on how you would sell. i had to sell the person interviewing me a pen...

Interview Question – sell me this pen   Answer Question

Elyria, OH (US)

Interview Details I applied online and got an email a day or so later inviting me for an interview. I was really pleased that you get to pick your interview time and date on the internet. I went into my interview the next day and met the HR representative who was very nice. Most of her questions that she asked me were from a piece of paper she had on a clip board. When I would answer a question, she would write down my response.

Interview Question – How would you make a customer feel comfortable having bought a product but leaving the store empty handed (as if you had shipped the product to his/her house?)   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 704 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.