MassMutual Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep 2014
Updated 25 Sep 2014

2.5

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Very easy and straight forward.

Fair but insurance companies and agencies are notorious for low pay.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at MassMutual in July 2013.

I applied online through indeed.com on Friday and got a phone interview on Monday. We then set up 1 on 1 interview on Wednesday. The interview lasted for about less than 1 hour. It was just me and recruiter in a meeting room having conversation. I was pretty nervous because i don't really have much formal interview experience. The recruiter is cute and respectful.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newport Beach, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA (US)

1st interview the managing director sells you the job. makes the job sound really good, doesn't tell you that its a sales job. Then you get a personality test. After that, they make you do a project 200 form in which they ask you to make a "prospect list" of 200 individuals and eventually sell to them yourself. This is what got me thinking about declining. 2nd interview Declined to Pursue. Its a sales job, not question about it. Wasn't willing to sell to friends and family to start out a "client base". Potential payout is very good however, but money wasn't enough to make me pursue. Most insurance jobs are the same. Stay away if you don't like sales, especially selling to friends and family.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to market to friends and family?   View Answer

Project 200 List was a huge nail-biter.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sandy Springs, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy Springs, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2013.

The company posted a job opening on an online site and I sent in my resume and received a call the very next day. After talking for about 5 minutes, we setup a face-to-face interview for the following week. I had two in person interviews, and the manager was very friendly and explained how the company worked, what the position looked like, etc.

Career Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2013.

Three interviews were required for the position. The expectation was that the applicant was sophisticated enough to wear full business dress, have a sense of social propriety, and be dignified and respectful. Sales and financial planning/advising experience was mandatory, although it wasn't so indicated in print or in the discussion. It quickly became apparent that management was looking for professionalism and good connections within the local community.

Interview Questions
    • "Whom do you know that will aid you in getting a quick start in building your practice?"   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. Employee contract and working agreements were presented and signatures expected without explanation. Copies were promised but not received. When requested, copies were made and delivered.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2013.

The position has great commission potential. The interviewer was a great employee. He sat down with me twice and explained as much as I wanted to know about the company and the position. The interviewer was greatly interested in expanding the company and bringing in new employees. I ended up not taking the job because the position was all commission based, but it seemed like a well-run company and I have nothing negative to say about the company.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was more of a sit down conversation instead of a full blown question type interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

First interview was on campus and was only about 15 minutes asking about myself. The next interview was more of an orientation and they gave a 3 hour presentation on what the company was about. It was informative and after there was a 20 minute interview getting to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic questions. Such as "why do you want to work for us?"   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at MassMutual.

The interviewing process takes three to four steps. Initially, the recruiter wants to get to know you better, then the second interview goes onto more detail regarding the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at MassMutual.

The entire interview was very easy. Basically if you are a likeable person and can pass through all of the behavioral interviews, you'll get it. The clincher is whether or not you have an established "natural" market in the bay area. You will need to bring in a book of about 200 people you can call. You will need their address, phone number, email, salary, life status, etc.... After that, you ask for referrals. Basically it's a ponzi scheme. If you're okay pushing and selling life insurance to your friends and friends' friends, go for it.
    The base bay is 18,000 for the first year. After that, its purely commission basis.

Didn't feel comfortable bringing a book of information that many spammers would kill for. In addition, you won't learn much for the first year or so. Their training seemed to be all about memorizing a script.

Actuarial Consultant Interview

You interview with about 5-7 people (some of which are also Actuarial Cosultants). You also have a lunch interview which is designed to inform them what you are like under less formal situations.

Interview Questions
    • Sometimes you might be given a case study depending on who is interviewing you.   Answer Question