Mayo Clinic

Getting the Interview

59 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Principal Health Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in April 2014.

Interview Details It was phone interview with 3 people, sounded very positive. They used the Behavioral Based Questions to determine my eligibility

Clinical Education Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details Behavior interviewing is rampant here. Each work unit uses it. Once you get the idea of what they are asking it is easy to talk about your experiences and highlight the aspect of behavior they want. It is very conversational.

Interview Question – Behavioral Interview - Just be prepared with different situations and stories to highlight various aspects of your experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. They give you a salary figure and tell you it is not negotiable.

Staff Nurse Interview

Rochester, MN (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details Three hour interview, Typical questions. Tour of the units

Interview Question – Give an example of a difficult situation with another employee.   Answer Question

Health Systems Engineering Analyst Interview

Interviewed at Mayo Clinic

Interview Details Phone interview: why Mayo Clinic, why this job, and other behavioral questions
On site interview: behavioral questions, presentation of a past project, case interviews

Interview Question – No surprises   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Programmer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details Had two phone interviews followed by on site panel interview and 3 more meetings with upper management.

Interview Question – Some behavioral questions were tough since we have to find specific examples from past experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Had to take a pay cut.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Rochester, MN (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details Initially sent a letter of inquiry directly to the principle investigator I wished to work with. That followed by a response from them, a phone interview that was very informal. I was flown out for presentations and that day offered a position.

Interview Question – Mostly scientifically oriented questions from the crowd during the interview day at Mayo Clinic. Everything else was very cordial.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a postdoctoral fellow, salary is not very negotiable, but a moving stipend was supplied and the start date was negotiable as well.

Certified Surgical Technologist Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details Get any Union job at Mayo prior to finishing Surg Tech school. Jobs go to exsisting Union memebers first, then opened to the public.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you disagreed with management an how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none, based on union contract

Clinical Lab Scientist Interview

Clinical Lab Scientist
Rochester, MN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in April 2013.

Interview Details I submitted a resume and cover letter and did an in person behavioral interview following the SHARE model. The interview panel was composed of 3 current employees and I felt very comfortable talking with them.

Interview Question – Each question's response is supposed to allow you to show how you learned and grew from the experience and explaining that each time was the most difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I was given all the information before hand and knew I would accept if given an offer.

Sponsored Project Specialist Interview

Rochester, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details Like anything Mayo related, the pace is akin to molasses; you will practice the virtue of patience during the process. Typically after about a week or two of initially applying your application is sent to a hiring manager and then anywhere between two to four weeks later you will get a rejection email or called for an interview. The interview happens soon thereafter, but if it is during the beginning of the process you may have to wait a week or three for all of the interviews to be done.

The interview process is mostly to strictly behavioral based and it involves a panel, ranging in three people to a dozen or more. They ask, you respond. Depending on how quick you can think on your feet to answer their sometimes seemingly irrelevant questions, you may or may not like the interview. I found that the questions did little to weed out those who would work well or not work well as they focused too much on feel good aspects and not enough on work ethic.

With that being said, the interviewers were all friendly, professional, and pleasant.

Interview Question – Name a time you had a disagreement with a co-worker on how to accomplish a task and how did you resolve this?   Answer Question

HRIS Analyst II Interview

Jacksonville, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in February 2013.

Interview Details HR initially contacts to request a phone interview. A phone interview was scheduled with 3 hiring managers. Following the phone interview, a face-to-face interview is scheduled. There was a panel of 4 interviewers. 2 via video conferencing and 2 in the office.

Interview consisted of standard questions. Nothing overly challenging to answer. Many redundant questions that made it difficult to demonstrate diverse skills. However, before the interview began, a meeting was held with the HR Specialist to review benefits. Also, a tour and overview of the team.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. There were a lot of redundant questions that overlapped which made it difficult to really demonstrate diverse skills.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary was low.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Mayo Clinic

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mayo Clinic interview questions and advice. All 59 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Mayo Clinic employees and interview candidates.