McAfee Interview Questions

Updated 23 Sep 2014

3.1

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McAfee in September 2008.

I got interview call through employee referral. First round was phone interview. They checked basic knowledge about testing. QA process, scripting abilities and operating system concepts. After a week I was asked to come down for 1:1 interview. There were about 4 rounds. Each consisting of different competencies. They gave me few scenarios and asked to write test cases. Asked few simple puzzles.

Interview Questions
    • What are daemon processes in operating system?   Answer Question
    • Puzzle about crossing a river with time and combination of cannibals and normal humans conditions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at McAfee in September 2008.

Caveat: This is one of the bizarre interviews I have had so far.
    It was a very straight fwd process. Whole process took just a day. A written exam to start off, not a tough one at all. After screening, we were announced timings for the first round. The initial round was by an HR. He did not have any technical background for sure, so, he just asked two questions on basic math(apti/set theory, whatever you want to call it) and then the round was over. Looked like short-listed people would be called for the next round, interestingly none of the candidates were shortly. I was shocked, but, then it happens.

Interview Questions
    • Question was on set theory. It was some application of demorgan's law. thats it.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McAfee in April 2008.

There were 4 rounds. First one was written round, which was an aptitude test. Second round was interview by a group/panel about knowledge and past jobs. Third round was a one on one with the director and it was detailed grilling of the knowledge and case study kind of situations. Fourth round was the HR round, which was a discussion about the Salary and the joining date.

Interview Questions
    Being a bad negotiater I couldn't bargain much. I got more than what I asked for.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at McAfee in March 2008.

Interview was a dream process. My hiring manager arranged me to fly in to Bangalore to attend the interview. All the four rounds were conducted one after another with a 30 minutes break. Interview was mature and highly relevant to position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your design philosophy for software products and specifically for security products?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McAfee.

I was friends with someone who knew I was looking to get my foot in the door in regards to a "corporate" environment, for lack of a better term. She knew someone who was looking for an entry-level type role, one of which would allow for progress, given I met their expectations.

Interview Questions
    • As this was my first "business" interview, everything seemed unexpected! My interviewers made a point to not only emphasize the work ethic and culture, but also to try to get an idea of my personality to help see if I aligned with the businesses' outlook.   View Answer
    I was lucky to receive an amazing benefits package, along with a great starting salary.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aylesbury, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aylesbury, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McAfee in July 2014.

I've applied online and it took them about 2 weeks to reply.

- It starts with a 20 minute HR Interview which includes some simple technical questions about linked lists, pointers, algorithms etc..

- If you pass that, you get invited to the main office, the interview was 2 hours long which included a QA test, programming test, whiteboard testing and 2 interviews, one technical and the other was a biographical interview.

Overall it was quite a tough experience, and they do give you feedback after a week.

Interview Questions
    • Compare Java to C++, and explain why would you choose to one instead of the other. There was also some questions about concurrency   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at McAfee in July 2014.

First a phone interview with an internal recruiter regarding my CV and my motivations. After this, an interview in their office with a senior manager. He explained the job and the company and then he checked the CV and asked about me, my technical skills and my strengths in the sale field. The senior manager was very kind to me and professional, I felt at ease with him. I thought it was a good work environment, I am really excited about this position and I hope to get an offer. I'm waiting for their feedback.

Partner Operations Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McAfee in June 2014.

2-3 weeks after initial phone screening with the recruiter a phone interview was scheduled with the hiring manager (Director) but she could not make it at the last minute & I was interviewed by her senior manager. After that 2 weeks later I was called in for an interview with 4 team members and the Director(hiring manager) of the team.

Surprisingly, I was called in for a particular role but the recruiter had informed the interviewers about a different role. Some serious mismatch happened but I was told both roles were still open which I doubted. I spent 2.5hrs at their office interviewing

After which I did not hear anything for a month. I was not expecting much & my interest level was low but as a courtesy I was expecting a closing considering I went to their office and spent 2-3 hours. So I sent a note to the recruiter to check the status and was told they are proceeding with another candidate.

The whole process, communication and closing out candidates looked very disjointed. Maybe the recruiters are overworked or just do not have a process to track which candidate is being sent for which role.

Interview Questions
    • Map out the process for launching new features in an existing product and getting buy in from Eng..   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Invited for an interview, arrived and then immediately was led to a cubicle to do an impromptu 1.5hr low-level coding test. No "hello, how are you, welcome" etc. Interviewers had extremely weak social skills and it reflects horrendously on the company.

A 1.5hr coding test is insulting and hilarious to employees with university degrees from top schools with 10 years of programming experience.

Verbal portion of the interview was fair and standard.

Office layout was depressing and the area smelled of stale coffee and inactivity. Cubicle walls were high and a very old looking blue colour. Employees looked depressed, unkept and unmotivated.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about what would happen in various hypothetical conditions if software was coded by amateurs. Interviews themselves were unsure of what would happen.   Answer Question

Win32 is out of date and low-level windows programming is a thing of the past.

Tier I Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McAfee in May 2014.

They literally walked me into a dark room with four lights. I wish I were making that up.

The chair they had me sit in was half-broken so I couldn't lean back in it, and the three of them (two junior techs and an older senior tech or shift manager) took turns questioning me and posing extremely vague situations.

One that I remember was "You deploy an update to Windows for 100 workstations over the weekend starting on Friday, Sunday you checked to see how it went and noticed 1 workstation didn't get the patch, what do you do?"

That question had so much information missing that literally all I could say was "without any more information, I'd need to determine what made that one workstation different. Did the user shut it down before they left for the weekend? Did their office lose power? Is that machine even on the Active Directory OU?"

After several such questions they said they needed to step out into the hall to confer and to sit tight.

Another 15 minutes passes and a fourth guy who I'd never seen before walked in, introduced himself by first and last name (but not job title/responsibility, so I had no clue what he did, but evidently he was the final decisionmaker regarding hire/no hire), and then sat down to spend about 30 more minutes finding several different ways to express the importance of being on time.

I was 45 minutes early to the interview, and I'm a veteran. You guys have no idea what on time means. Seriously. :|

And here this guy is treating me, a 29 year old vet with plenty of tech experience, like I'm applying for a job at McDonald's.

Of course I smiled and nodded but inside I was thinking: are you freaking kidding me?

Afterwards, they said they'd be in touch and we shook hands, I thanked them for their time and got the heck out of there.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of grilling on individual port numbers and the OSI model. Does anybody remember that stuff by heart without having to consult a reference? Anyone? Bueller?   Answer Question