McAfee

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at McAfee in September 2008.

Interview Details Caveat: This is one of the bizarre interviews I have had so far.
It was a very straight fwd process. Whole process took just a day. A written exam to start off, not a tough one at all. After screening, we were announced timings for the first round. The initial round was by an HR. He did not have any technical background for sure, so, he just asked two questions on basic math(apti/set theory, whatever you want to call it) and then the round was over. Looked like short-listed people would be called for the next round, interestingly none of the candidates were shortly. I was shocked, but, then it happens.

Interview Question – Question was on set theory. It was some application of demorgan's law. thats it.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in April 2008.

Interview Details There were 4 rounds. First one was written round, which was an aptitude test. Second round was interview by a group/panel about knowledge and past jobs. Third round was a one on one with the director and it was detailed grilling of the knowledge and case study kind of situations. Fourth round was the HR round, which was a discussion about the Salary and the joining date.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Being a bad negotiater I couldn't bargain much. I got more than what I asked for.

Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Engineer
Cork (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McAfee in July 2014.

Interview Details First a phone interview with an internal recruiter regarding my CV and my motivations. After this, an interview in their office with a senior manager. He explained the job and the company and then he checked the CV and asked about me, my technical skills and my strengths in the sale field. The senior manager was very kind to me and professional, I felt at ease with him. I thought it was a good work environment, I am really excited about this position and I hope to get an offer. I'm waiting for their feedback.

Interview Question – No particular technical question.   Answer Question

Partner Operations Manager Interview

Partner Operations Manager

I applied online - interviewed at McAfee in June 2014.

Interview Details 2-3 weeks after initial phone screening with the recruiter a phone interview was scheduled with the hiring manager (Director) but she could not make it at the last minute & I was interviewed by her senior manager. After that 2 weeks later I was called in for an interview with 4 team members and the Director(hiring manager) of the team.

Surprisingly, I was called in for a particular role but the recruiter had informed the interviewers about a different role. Some serious mismatch happened but I was told both roles were still open which I doubted. I spent 2.5hrs at their office interviewing

After which I did not hear anything for a month. I was not expecting much & my interest level was low but as a courtesy I was expecting a closing considering I went to their office and spent 2-3 hours. So I sent a note to the recruiter to check the status and was told they are proceeding with another candidate.

The whole process, communication and closing out candidates looked very disjointed. Maybe the recruiters are overworked or just do not have a process to track which candidate is being sent for which role.

Interview Question – Map out the process for launching new features in an existing product and getting buy in from Eng..   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McAfee in May 2014.

Interview Details Applied online but called for a different postion. But bad experirnce.Two times the hiring manager missed the phone call. and twice rescheduled on site interview at the last minute.

Interview Question – Very good Interview. Only questions pertaining to the job .   View Answer

Lead Development Representative Interview

Lead Development Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McAfee in October 2013.

Interview Details First interview: with the HR: Usuallu goes well, with casual questions about why you want to work there, what experiences you've had in sales and marketing, what skills do you have, any success you'd like to talk about...
Second interview: with the manager: A bit more technical, about what your aspirations are, how you react to failures, skills...
Third interview: Face to face with the manager

Interview Question – There were fairly okay questions, no tricky ones.   Answer Question

Tier I Support Technician Interview

Tier I Support Technician
Plano, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at McAfee in May 2014.

Interview Details They literally walked me into a dark room with four lights. I wish I were making that up.

The chair they had me sit in was half-broken so I couldn't lean back in it, and the three of them (two junior techs and an older senior tech or shift manager) took turns questioning me and posing extremely vague situations.

One that I remember was "You deploy an update to Windows for 100 workstations over the weekend starting on Friday, Sunday you checked to see how it went and noticed 1 workstation didn't get the patch, what do you do?"

That question had so much information missing that literally all I could say was "without any more information, I'd need to determine what made that one workstation different. Did the user shut it down before they left for the weekend? Did their office lose power? Is that machine even on the Active Directory OU?"

After several such questions they said they needed to step out into the hall to confer and to sit tight.

Another 15 minutes passes and a fourth guy who I'd never seen before walked in, introduced himself by first and last name (but not job title/responsibility, so I had no clue what he did, but evidently he was the final decisionmaker regarding hire/no hire), and then sat down to spend about 30 more minutes finding several different ways to express the importance of being on time.

I was 45 minutes early to the interview, and I'm a veteran. You guys have no idea what on time means. Seriously. :|

And here this guy is treating me, a 29 year old vet with plenty of tech experience, like I'm applying for a job at McDonald's.

Of course I smiled and nodded but inside I was thinking: are you freaking kidding me?

Afterwards, they said they'd be in touch and we shook hands, I thanked them for their time and got the heck out of there.

Interview Question – Lots of grilling on individual port numbers and the OSI model. Does anybody remember that stuff by heart without having to consult a reference? Anyone? Bueller?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McAfee in February 2010.

Interview Details Process was long and painful, stops and starts, which took about 2 months. After initial phone interview, went back 3 times to meet with numerous individuals. One interview cancelled the morning of but I still had to meet with another individual so consequently had to return another time.

Interview Question – How will you make an impact in your first 90 days. Good question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Short as they raised the salary req based on my experience from what they had originally stated

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Interviewed at McAfee

Interview Details Invited for an interview, arrived and then immediately was led to a cubicle to do an impromptu 1.5hr low-level coding test. No "hello, how are you, welcome" etc. Interviewers had extremely weak social skills and it reflects horrendously on the company.

A 1.5hr coding test is insulting and hilarious to employees with university degrees from top schools with 10 years of programming experience.

Verbal portion of the interview was fair and standard.

Office layout was depressing and the area smelled of stale coffee and inactivity. Cubicle walls were high and a very old looking blue colour. Employees looked depressed, unkept and unmotivated.

Interview Question – Questions about what would happen in various hypothetical conditions if software was coded by amateurs. Interviews themselves were unsure of what would happen.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Win32 is out of date and low-level windows programming is a thing of the past.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McAfee in April 2014.

Interview Details Took a while to get a responds from my application. Interview questions were strange.

Interview Question – How many barber shops are in San Francisco?   Answer Question