McGladrey LLP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Consulting Manager Interview

Consulting Manager
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details Process included interviews with a Partner with dotted line responsibility to the practice area, the Director of the practice area and a peer Director.

Interview Question – Tell me what you have specifically done in our practice areas with success.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Audit Associate
Davenport, IA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details First round interview on campus. Very conversation, no behavioral type questions whatsoever. Really just getting a sense of whether or not you're a complete social weirdo I believe. Waited a few days and received a call back that informed me I had passed through to the next round, which were in office interviews. The night before the in office interview, we were taken as a group of candidates (probably 20 of us - tax and audit combined) out for a nice dinner. At the dinner you're given an opportunity to sit and mingle with a few partners. It's a nice way to calm the nerves as you get to meet your interviewer(s) in a less formal setting.

Next morning there are a series of 3, 1-on-1, 30-minute interviews. All are with a partner or director. My 3 interviewers all seemed like nice and comfortable folks to speak with. There is no script that each interviewer appeared to be following. All interviews were very conversational, and quite honestly, very comfortable. Well, as comfortable as those things can be. Most had the same questions: "Why do you want to work in Public Accounting (vs. private)?", "What appeals to you about Audit (or tax)?",..."What are your interests outside of school and work?". Also, this was for an entry level position.

Interview Question – There honestly were no real difficult questions in my 4 total interviews. Very relaxed, 1-on-1 sort of conversational interview. Was actually surprised that I didn't have to field a single "...give me a time you did this or that..." question. Surprised and thankful. Not a huge fan of those.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interviewed at McGladrey LLP

Interview Details ....................................................................................................................

Interview Question – Can you think about the most unforgettable teamwork experience?   Answer Question

Audit Senior Associate Interview

Audit Senior Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in November 2012.

Interview Details The first communication was in November 2012 and I had an interview with the HR Manager, second interview was through by phone with the Manager for Assurance Services and finally I had a interview with the Partner of the office

Interview Question – Business Question and difficult situations in my previous Companies   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Consulting Manager Interview

Consulting Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview Details My honest and sincere advice to folks who are trying to get into this company or have been contacted by this company: STAY AWAY! Having been in consulting for 10+ years, I understand how companies work and how offers can be changed , however what I don't expect them to do is to make an offer then withdraw it without any reason and also not communicate about what they intend to do.
A recruiter reached out to me and went on and on about how great the firm is. I was at that time working with a Big 4 audit/consulting firm and the opportunity looked good. The recruiter set up an interview with a manager, who didn't understand much about consulting since he was from audit background. Incidentally, in my research, I found that most of their managers/directors/principals who were leading consulting engagements, were from audit background( That should have been my the biggest warning sign). After "clearing" this interview, I interviewed with the head of consulting who after 2 conversations made me a verbal offer to join. As I was about to accept it after 3-4 days, I was informed that I will need to go to their local office. Went there and oh boy, what an experience. First of all, the office was bare and empty i.e. no staff - not on vacation or client location but literally they did not have any associates/consultants except for 4 partners. They interviewed me and really looked as if they regretted joining mcgladrey i.e.no info about the firm and totally unenthusiastic. After the interview, recruiter etc all went dark for about 4 weeks and inspite of my writing or calling the recruiter every third day, I never received a response. Finally, the recruiter responded with some BS about being on vacation and informing me that they will not proceed with hiring. Completely unprofessional and unethical way to go about hiring. My advice to folks: There are better companies with dedicated folks, so don't waste your time with this frim

Administrative Assistant Interview

Dubuque, IA (US)

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in July 2013.

Interview Details Contacted by recruitement specialist in Minnesota, who did a screening phone interview ("Walk me through your work history," "Tell me about this gap in your resume," "You started out in X field and now you're looking for Y; why is that?") and then set up an in-person interview.

In-person interview with hiring/training manager out of Cedar Rapids. Very in-depth, about an hour and fifteen minutes, with lots of behavioral questions: Tell me about a time when you worked with a difficult customer? with a difficult co-worker? Tell me about a task you've done that involved getting information from a variety of people in a variety of locations? ... and some of the information was wrong?

She told me there'd be computer-skills testing later in the process.

Then there was a long gap with occasional contact from the recruiting specialist; they were doing other interviews and waiting for the principal to get back from traveling.

Later contacted by same recruiting specialist to set up an interview with two of the actual supervisors for the position. This seemed perfunctory, as if the decision had already been made, and never really rose above the "Tell me about yourself" question. At this point, I suspect they had already chosen another candidate.

The same recruiting specialist called to tell me they'd chosen someone else.

The entire process from start to finish took almost two months.

Interview Question – What would your dream job be? -- it doesn't necessarily have to be this job.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in September 2012.

Interview Details There were 2 interviews, 1 on campus and 1 on in the home office. Interview with an associate on campus for about 30 minutes and it wasn't technical, he asked a few questions about my resume and the rest of the time was left for me to ask questions. Interviewed with a manager and partner at the home office and I had the same experience.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions or case study. It was simply a personality interview.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Consulting Associate
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

Interview Details Phone interview, followed by on-campus interview with a Partner of the Firm. Final round in-office interview with Partner and Director. Mostly behavioral type questions.

Interview Question – Why McGladrey and not the Big 4?   Answer Question

Assurance Associate Interview

Assurance Associate
New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview Details HR contacted me for interview. If you know someone in company, you have better chance of getting an interview. I was referred by another employee. Other friends of mine who had better resume and qualification than me applied through website and never heard back. There is only one interview round. It was very laid back. Regular interview questions like "tell me about yourself". Basic interview I would say.

Interview Question – It was a very basic and simple interview. No hard questions. The interviewer only wanted to know basic information; for example my previous job, what I did etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a reasonable rate and I accepted it.

Audit Associate Interview

Audit Associate
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2012.

Interview Details Met with a recruiter at career fair. Got invited for an interview and pre-night dinner on campus. Everyone was very personable. I had the chance to meet my interview at the dinner to calm down nerves. Interview the next day was pretty basic, with behavioral type questions and I was invited to an office interview in chicago a few weeks later. There were about 50 other interviewees there that day from a few other midwest schools. Interviewed with a partner and a senior manager. Again behavioral based questions. Pretty open and friendly.

Interview Question – What is your greatest achievement to date?   View Answer