McGladrey LLP Interview Questions

Updated 18 Sep 2014
Updated 18 Sep 2014

2.6

Intern Interview

....................................................................................................................

Interview Questions
    • Can you think about the most unforgettable teamwork experience?   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

I was not hired for what I applied for, but I record excellent detail that I'm willing to share. A McGladrey interview will almost be 80% based on your personality, a few behavioral questions, and lots of "tell me about yourself" stuff. They're definitely just getting to know you as a person. Your qualifications to do the job is the main reason the interview is provided--they know that you can do the job, because they'll most likely put you to a formal training program anyway.

It's as described by many: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, by some employees of the firm, to help ease your nerves. Whether or not they have any power in your hiring, that's unknown. Better be nice to everyone. We had a nice relaxing lunch with all the other candidates. Learn a little bit about the firm, the benefits, all that jazz. After lunch, the candidates went their separate ways to meet their respective interviewers. They'll each tell you a little bit about themselves before they get to the real deal.

For me, I had an Audit Partner interview me. Nope. I can feel I sucked. Why? He did not seem very pleased to even be doing interviews, which was an immediate sign that I was not going do well, or have a fair chance. He was interviewing my INTEREST in the position by asking if I have any questions about the job; I had a few, but not enough to last 10-15 minutes conversation. But being that I've always dreamed about being a part of McGladrey and for my dream career choice, what didn't I already know? This was my fault; should've prepared better. It's not an interview about how much you want the position & company, it's about showing the ambition you want for yourself in YOUR career. He had NOTHING scripted, and it was all spur of the moment questions...well, in my case, expecting me to have questions for him.

Interview #2 was with a junior HR person. It was more formal, with the questions I've prepared for in personality questions and a few behavioral. Definitely felt I aced it. But again, I think most of the hiring powers come from Partners. If not, you probably need the approval of both. I already knew I was a lost cause, and accepted defeat after all this.

Below, I share with you some questions in exact form:

Interview Questions
    • 1) Tell me about yourself
      2) Why do you want to work with McGladrey?
      3) Why did you not apply for the Big 4?
      4) Why public and not private?
      5) Why do you like Audit? (or whatever your position is)
      6) Tell me about a time you made a mistake, and how you dealt with this?
      7) Run me down with your resume
      8) Do you have any teamwork/leadership skills?

Have some questions ABOUT the position you're applying for, even if you know most of it already, to show interest. Be ready to wing random moments of conversation
        View Answer

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Davenport, IA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

First round interview on campus. Very conversation, no behavioral type questions whatsoever. Really just getting a sense of whether or not you're a complete social weirdo I believe. Waited a few days and received a call back that informed me I had passed through to the next round, which were in office interviews. The night before the in office interview, we were taken as a group of candidates (probably 20 of us - tax and audit combined) out for a nice dinner. At the dinner you're given an opportunity to sit and mingle with a few partners. It's a nice way to calm the nerves as you get to meet your interviewer(s) in a less formal setting.

Next morning there are a series of 3, 1-on-1, 30-minute interviews. All are with a partner or director. My 3 interviewers all seemed like nice and comfortable folks to speak with. There is no script that each interviewer appeared to be following. All interviews were very conversational, and quite honestly, very comfortable. Well, as comfortable as those things can be. Most had the same questions: "Why do you want to work in Public Accounting (vs. private)?", "What appeals to you about Audit (or tax)?",..."What are your interests outside of school and work?". Also, this was for an entry level position.

Interview Questions
    • There honestly were no real difficult questions in my 4 total interviews. Very relaxed, 1-on-1 sort of conversational interview. Was actually surprised that I didn't have to field a single "...give me a time you did this or that..." question. Surprised and thankful. Not a huge fan of those.   Answer Question

Consulting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Process included interviews with a Partner with dotted line responsibility to the practice area, the Director of the practice area and a peer Director.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you have specifically done in our practice areas with success.   Answer Question

Assurance Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Participated in on campus recruiting event. Meet with representatives at an on campus career fair. Was offered an on campus interview with an assurance manager in the Chicago office. A week later I was invited to their Chicago office for another interview. The entire process took about four weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had a successful group project and and unsuccessful one.   Answer Question

Tax Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Duluth, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

There was a preliminary interview and if you did well you would move on to a second stream of interviews. I had three interviews with two partners and a manager over the course of four hours. It's exhausting, but the key is to be open and honest as well as comfortable meeting new people and being under pressure. The questions were more personal than work related in some cases.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you about your extra-curricular involvement and will point out any flaws they see on your transcript, so be ready to answer andy school related questions.   Answer Question

Tax Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

applied online on university career resource website, was invited for first round interview on campus. attended a meet and greet (drinks and hors d'oeuvres) at a local restaurant the evening before the interview, interviewed with a partner the following day, very conversational, heard back from the recruiter 1-2 weeks later and was invited for a second round interview in the office, again very conversational met with a partner and a specialist in the office and attended a dinner while in town

did not negotiate

Assurance Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

I was so nervous prior to my first interview with McGladrey. However, after meeting with career planning and going over the expected questions, I was much more relaxed. Going into the interview, I felt very prepared to talk about myself and my experiences on my resume. The interview was much more conversational than I expected and I found that it is easiest to talk than to wait for the interviewer to prompt you with questions.

Consulting Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

My honest and sincere advice to folks who are trying to get into this company or have been contacted by this company: STAY AWAY! Having been in consulting for 10+ years, I understand how companies work and how offers can be changed , however what I don't expect them to do is to make an offer then withdraw it without any reason and also not communicate about what they intend to do.
    A recruiter reached out to me and went on and on about how great the firm is. I was at that time working with a Big 4 audit/consulting firm and the opportunity looked good. The recruiter set up an interview with a manager, who didn't understand much about consulting since he was from audit background. Incidentally, in my research, I found that most of their managers/directors/principals who were leading consulting engagements, were from audit background( That should have been my the biggest warning sign). After "clearing" this interview, I interviewed with the head of consulting who after 2 conversations made me a verbal offer to join. As I was about to accept it after 3-4 days, I was informed that I will need to go to their local office. Went there and oh boy, what an experience. First of all, the office was bare and empty i.e. no staff - not on vacation or client location but literally they did not have any associates/consultants except for 4 partners. They interviewed me and really looked as if they regretted joining mcgladrey i.e.no info about the firm and totally unenthusiastic. After the interview, recruiter etc all went dark for about 4 weeks and inspite of my writing or calling the recruiter every third day, I never received a response. Finally, the recruiter responded with some BS about being on vacation and informing me that they will not proceed with hiring. Completely unprofessional and unethical way to go about hiring. My advice to folks: There are better companies with dedicated folks, so don't waste your time with this frim

Assurance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

HR contacted me for interview. If you know someone in company, you have better chance of getting an interview. I was referred by another employee. Other friends of mine who had better resume and qualification than me applied through website and never heard back. There is only one interview round. It was very laid back. Regular interview questions like "tell me about yourself". Basic interview I would say.

Interview Questions
    • It was a very basic and simple interview. No hard questions. The interviewer only wanted to know basic information; for example my previous job, what I did etc   Answer Question
    I was offered a reasonable rate and I accepted it.