McKinsey & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Architect Interview

Senior Architect
Gurgaon, Haryana

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2014.

Interview Details First round-Hr asking you basic questions like where you want to be after 5 years from now
Second Round-Telephonic with Some 15 years Experienced person about the kind of work i am doing, flexibility, attitude ,Business sense

Interview Question – They follow some blogs some latest conferences based on IT, like Apple Swift new language.So the company trend is to follow a blog ,write blog, help in Tech forums   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details 5-9 rounds of interview

Interview Question – Questions are on Problem solving   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Junior Associate
Chennai

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details App test: 1) Finance 2) English 3) written comunication

There were 3 interview rounds
1) On personal achievements
2) Mock ups
3) HR interview

HR officers don't spook you there, they're friendly
They just ask questions to know who you are.
They won't try to outsmart you or slow walk you

Interview Question – What do we do here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I'm a fresher and there was no negotiation

Specialist Interview

Specialist
Chennai

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details Online Application. Initial Call, 1to1 Discussion, Negotiation, Offer roll out and acceptance

Interview Question – This being the 3rd company in less than a year, How do you see yourself as a stable person or why should we consider in you being a person who will stick to this job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recruiters are open negotiable for a reasonable Win Win Situation

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
New Delhi

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2013.

Interview Details Background: I study in a target tech school. McKinsey first reached out to us via the official campus recruitment channel that we have in the form of the 'Placement Office'

1. Company talk: An hour long talk about all things McKinsey. Generic introduction to the Firm. People from different ranks within the firm had come in.

2. Shortlist for interview: About 20 people shortlisted for interviews, from about 400 that had applied. Shortlisting done purely on the basis of resumes. Came out about a month before the interviews.

3. Buddy allotment: Every shortlisted candidate was allotted a buddy. A buddy is generally some current BA within the firm. Every buddy had 2 candidates allotted to them. They really do help out in terms what to expect during interviews, and also do a couple of practice cases with you. (With most candidates being shortlisted in multiple consulting firms, we had also formed case-groups to prepare by ourselves)

4. Information session for shortlisted candidates: Mostly to clarify any doubts or queries the shortlisted candidates had about anything. They encouraged us to be as brutal as possible in our questioning. They explained the rationale behind things like up-or-out, why some outsiders perceive them as arrogant, and other things. Very frank and candid discussions.
What really impressed me was that they NEVER EVER belittled other consulting firms/consultants. The people struck me as very magnanimous, self-assured, and poised.

4. Problem Solving Test (PST): 2 days before the interviews, we had the problem solving test. Solving the sample tests they have put up on the website beforehand, is really helpful. Mostly it tests raw brain-power and processing speed. There was no cut-off as such since all shortlisted candidates where to be interviewed. However, it was made clear earlier that not scoring well on the PST meant they would be testing our number/analytic skills 'pretty rigorously' during the interviews.

5. On the day(3 interviews pretty much back-to-back):
    ->First interview: With an Associate Principal. Wouldn't say it was a stress interview, but the interviewer was being curt and to-the-point. Only case, no specific HR.

->Second interview: With a Principal. Started of with my experiences and perspectives on certain things, followed by a short case, which tested how I thought about stuff.

->Third interview (This was their second round. Only 10 out of 20 shortlisted got a 3rd interview. Some had to appear for more than 3 interviews): With a Director. Started out with my experiences followed by a short creativity based case.

6. The Offer: Only after they finished interviewing all shortlisted candidates did they give out offers. Those who did not get offers were given feedback.

Overall I wouldn't say that I flawlessly nailed every interview, but I sure had a very upbeat vibe coming out of every single of the 3 interviews.

In conclusion: The whole process is conducted in a highly professional and fair way. Regardless of whether you get selected of not, you'll get to realize why these guys are considered The Best. Do prepare A LOT. In one of the Principal's own words the Firm looks for "candidates who are outstanding in general and have at least one particularly outshining quality/skill."

Interview Question – Didn't find any of the questions very difficult mostly because I had a lot of preparation behind me. I had practiced about 45 live cases(necessary because I hail from a tech school with no formal exposure to business except maybe my internship) before I even faced the first interview. Also I had done a lot introspection about my life's philosophy and experiences. The interviewer can sometimes drill-down deep, so be prepared.   Answer Question

Assistant Process Associate Interview

Assistant Process Associate
Chennai

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2012.

Interview Details two 1:1 interview and they skill test after that one more 1:1 interview with Director

Interview Question – Why McKinsey?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Junior Associate Interview

Junior Associate
Mumbai

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details All recruitment are done from campus. Application date is announced and folks are required to share their CV. Thereafter firm's shortlist of candidate for is announced for the interview. 3-5 rounds of case interviews conducted on campus along-with personal interview. Then a detailed discussion happens on all those who have interviewed and the final job offers are provided

Interview Question – Case interview   Answer Question

Software Tester Interview

Software Tester
Gurgaon, Haryana

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2012.

Interview Details Hiring is mainly through consultancy firms. They are very clear about people they want to hire. They do not compromise on skills. Need people who have lots of potential

Interview Question – Not came across any which was irrelevant or invalid   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Business Presentation Specialist Interview

Business Presentation Specialist

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Attended the job fair . Face-to-face interview like why this job, any experience in powerpoint and brief discussion about the rotational shifts . Next was online test which tests are language skills . Then a small HR interview about college (since i was a fresher for others it was about their previous companies) The next round was at their office in Ascendas Chennai that took almost 3 hours . First was a in depth HR round and the last round was the technical where they made us to work on powerpoint with few instructions written on a piece of paper .

Interview Question – The technical round . I didnt expect them to ask me to work on a data using all the powerpoint tools   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Rigorous test on your personality, previous experience, PST

Interview Question – PROBLEM SOLVING TEST   View Answer

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!