McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

3.9

Intern Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Case Study written test- 3 business cases were given and had to solve multiple choice questions
    HR Interview - the Panel was very nice and friendly, questions were a bit tricky, guesstimate question was very easy.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chennai) in March 2015.

Interview

10 rounds - 2 Telephonic and 8 Rounds - Face to Face in their Chennai office. It was a delightful experience.
    All rounds were to gauge different aspects of an individual and I really loved the professional way in which the entire process was conducted.

Initially one telephonic round - to understand your current work profile and to give a brief on the applied role and second telephonic round was a HR round

Interview Questions

• Imagine if a foreign bank has hired you and wants you to setup its entire operations in India in next 6 months, what all activities need to be done and how will you model it entirely from end - end. What all will be taken as inputs in the built model. He gave me 10 mins to structure my thoughts.   1 Answer

Business Presentation Specialist Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

There will be 3 rounds of interview. Online aptitude test, technical round and HR round. For technical round, questions will be based mostly in basic MS Office. Exclusive jobfair will be conducted with tie up with timesjob.com at Ethiraj Women's College, Egmore.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (New Delhi) in September 2014.

Interview

Hiring Process for DA Intern at McKinsey Solutions wing :
    1) MCQ Aptitude test [elimination] (General Quant + English + Logic + MS Excel , MS Access )
    2) two/three rounds of Interviews [one of them slightly technical (MS Excel only)]

I was referred by an employee, there was only one opening for the internship.

Aptitude test was very generic and pretty easy. Just read few concepts aout Excel and Access and you're good to go. no negative, so attempt all of the ques.

If you clear, you'll be called for 1:1 interview with senior team member.
    again, standard interview questions and few questions slightly inclined towards technical knowledge about MS Excel. that interview went excellent as I answered each and every question correctly.

out of 4 candidates who sat for the interview, only I cleared that round.

So the next 2 rounds it was obvious were gonna be a mere formality.

Next Interview will be HR based. you'll be grilled on your resume, career objectives. they might throw one or two guesstimates to know about your business acumen and intellectual prowess. Solved all of them.

the weirdest thing happened with me was that my last HR interview couldn't happen on that day because the interviewee had to leave for an urgent meeting.

so I was called up on the following afternoon for that formality types HR round but that's when my bad luck hit me.

I received a call from HR associate just 4 hours prior to my interview that the position has been put on hold. I called the employee who referred me then I came to know that an employee from their Tech Support team got in that same opening for which I was apparently selected. JUST IMAGINE.

Interview Questions

• how would you implement VBA in Excel   1 Answer

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Interview

Very thorough. 2 rounds. 1st round had 2 interviews. Second round had 3. At least one is with a Director and one with a partner in the firm. they really look strongly for your analytical skills, putting you in various situations through case studies. Be prepared with significant homework on your case studies

Interview Questions

• A case study on how to decide whether they should move to a new office building. This includd being able to estimate how much additional space was needed in the new office building.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. It was a fixed salary for entry level Associates.

Senior Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Gurgaon, Haryana) in June 2014.

Interview

First round-Hr asking you basic questions like where you want to be after 5 years from now
    Second Round-Telephonic with Some 15 years Experienced person about the kind of work i am doing, flexibility, attitude ,Business sense

Interview Questions

• They follow some blogs some latest conferences based on IT, like Apple Swift new language.So the company trend is to follow a blog ,write blog, help in Tech forums   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Interview

5-9 rounds of interview

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chennai).

Interview

App test: 1) Finance 2) English 3) written comunication

There were 3 interview rounds
    1) On personal achievements
    2) Mock ups
    3) HR interview

HR officers don't spook you there, they're friendly
    They just ask questions to know who you are.
    They won't try to outsmart you or slow walk you

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I'm a fresher and there was no negotiation

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (New Delhi) in December 2013.

Interview

Background: I study in a target tech school. McKinsey first reached out to us via the official campus recruitment channel that we have in the form of the 'Placement Office'

1. Company talk: An hour long talk about all things McKinsey. Generic introduction to the Firm. People from different ranks within the firm had come in.

2. Shortlist for interview: About 20 people shortlisted for interviews, from about 400 that had applied. Shortlisting done purely on the basis of resumes. Came out about a month before the interviews.

3. Buddy allotment: Every shortlisted candidate was allotted a buddy. A buddy is generally some current BA within the firm. Every buddy had 2 candidates allotted to them. They really do help out in terms what to expect during interviews, and also do a couple of practice cases with you. (With most candidates being shortlisted in multiple consulting firms, we had also formed case-groups to prepare by ourselves)

4. Information session for shortlisted candidates: Mostly to clarify any doubts or queries the shortlisted candidates had about anything. They encouraged us to be as brutal as possible in our questioning. They explained the rationale behind things like up-or-out, why some outsiders perceive them as arrogant, and other things. Very frank and candid discussions.
    What really impressed me was that they NEVER EVER belittled other consulting firms/consultants. The people struck me as very magnanimous, self-assured, and poised.

4. Problem Solving Test (PST): 2 days before the interviews, we had the problem solving test. Solving the sample tests they have put up on the website beforehand, is really helpful. Mostly it tests raw brain-power and processing speed. There was no cut-off as such since all shortlisted candidates where to be interviewed. However, it was made clear earlier that not scoring well on the PST meant they would be testing our number/analytic skills 'pretty rigorously' during the interviews.

5. On the day(3 interviews pretty much back-to-back):
        ->First interview: With an Associate Principal. Wouldn't say it was a stress interview, but the interviewer was being curt and to-the-point. Only case, no specific HR.

->Second interview: With a Principal. Started of with my experiences and perspectives on certain things, followed by a short case, which tested how I thought about stuff.

->Third interview (This was their second round. Only 10 out of 20 shortlisted got a 3rd interview. Some had to appear for more than 3 interviews): With a Director. Started out with my experiences followed by a short creativity based case.

6. The Offer: Only after they finished interviewing all shortlisted candidates did they give out offers. Those who did not get offers were given feedback.

Overall I wouldn't say that I flawlessly nailed every interview, but I sure had a very upbeat vibe coming out of every single of the 3 interviews.

In conclusion: The whole process is conducted in a highly professional and fair way. Regardless of whether you get selected of not, you'll get to realize why these guys are considered The Best. Do prepare A LOT. In one of the Principal's own words the Firm looks for "candidates who are outstanding in general and have at least one particularly outshining quality/skill."

Interview Questions

• Didn't find any of the questions very difficult mostly because I had a lot of preparation behind me. I had practiced about 45 live cases(necessary because I hail from a tech school with no formal exposure to business except maybe my internship) before I even faced the first interview. Also I had done a lot introspection about my life's philosophy and experiences. The interviewer can sometimes drill-down deep, so be prepared.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Mumbai).

Interview

All recruitment are done from campus. Application date is announced and folks are required to share their CV. Thereafter firm's shortlist of candidate for is announced for the interview. 3-5 rounds of case interviews conducted on campus along-with personal interview. Then a detailed discussion happens on all those who have interviewed and the final job offers are provided