McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated 29 Sep 2014
Updated 29 Sep 2014

3.9

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Very thorough. 2 rounds. 1st round had 2 interviews. Second round had 3. At least one is with a Director and one with a partner in the firm. they really look strongly for your analytical skills, putting you in various situations through case studies. Be prepared with significant homework on your case studies

Interview Questions
    • A case study on how to decide whether they should move to a new office building. This includd being able to estimate how much additional space was needed in the new office building.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It was a fixed salary for entry level Associates.

Senior Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gurgaon, Haryana
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2014.

First round-Hr asking you basic questions like where you want to be after 5 years from now
    Second Round-Telephonic with Some 15 years Experienced person about the kind of work i am doing, flexibility, attitude ,Business sense

Interview Questions
    • They follow some blogs some latest conferences based on IT, like Apple Swift new language.So the company trend is to follow a blog ,write blog, help in Tech forums   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

5-9 rounds of interview

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chennai
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

App test: 1) Finance 2) English 3) written comunication

There were 3 interview rounds
    1) On personal achievements
    2) Mock ups
    3) HR interview

HR officers don't spook you there, they're friendly
    They just ask questions to know who you are.
    They won't try to outsmart you or slow walk you

Interview Questions
    I'm a fresher and there was no negotiation

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Delhi
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2013.

Background: I study in a target tech school. McKinsey first reached out to us via the official campus recruitment channel that we have in the form of the 'Placement Office'

1. Company talk: An hour long talk about all things McKinsey. Generic introduction to the Firm. People from different ranks within the firm had come in.

2. Shortlist for interview: About 20 people shortlisted for interviews, from about 400 that had applied. Shortlisting done purely on the basis of resumes. Came out about a month before the interviews.

3. Buddy allotment: Every shortlisted candidate was allotted a buddy. A buddy is generally some current BA within the firm. Every buddy had 2 candidates allotted to them. They really do help out in terms what to expect during interviews, and also do a couple of practice cases with you. (With most candidates being shortlisted in multiple consulting firms, we had also formed case-groups to prepare by ourselves)

4. Information session for shortlisted candidates: Mostly to clarify any doubts or queries the shortlisted candidates had about anything. They encouraged us to be as brutal as possible in our questioning. They explained the rationale behind things like up-or-out, why some outsiders perceive them as arrogant, and other things. Very frank and candid discussions.
    What really impressed me was that they NEVER EVER belittled other consulting firms/consultants. The people struck me as very magnanimous, self-assured, and poised.

4. Problem Solving Test (PST): 2 days before the interviews, we had the problem solving test. Solving the sample tests they have put up on the website beforehand, is really helpful. Mostly it tests raw brain-power and processing speed. There was no cut-off as such since all shortlisted candidates where to be interviewed. However, it was made clear earlier that not scoring well on the PST meant they would be testing our number/analytic skills 'pretty rigorously' during the interviews.

5. On the day(3 interviews pretty much back-to-back):
        ->First interview: With an Associate Principal. Wouldn't say it was a stress interview, but the interviewer was being curt and to-the-point. Only case, no specific HR.

->Second interview: With a Principal. Started of with my experiences and perspectives on certain things, followed by a short case, which tested how I thought about stuff.

->Third interview (This was their second round. Only 10 out of 20 shortlisted got a 3rd interview. Some had to appear for more than 3 interviews): With a Director. Started out with my experiences followed by a short creativity based case.

6. The Offer: Only after they finished interviewing all shortlisted candidates did they give out offers. Those who did not get offers were given feedback.

Overall I wouldn't say that I flawlessly nailed every interview, but I sure had a very upbeat vibe coming out of every single of the 3 interviews.

In conclusion: The whole process is conducted in a highly professional and fair way. Regardless of whether you get selected of not, you'll get to realize why these guys are considered The Best. Do prepare A LOT. In one of the Principal's own words the Firm looks for "candidates who are outstanding in general and have at least one particularly outshining quality/skill."

Interview Questions
    • Didn't find any of the questions very difficult mostly because I had a lot of preparation behind me. I had practiced about 45 live cases(necessary because I hail from a tech school with no formal exposure to business except maybe my internship) before I even faced the first interview. Also I had done a lot introspection about my life's philosophy and experiences. The interviewer can sometimes drill-down deep, so be prepared.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mumbai
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

All recruitment are done from campus. Application date is announced and folks are required to share their CV. Thereafter firm's shortlist of candidate for is announced for the interview. 3-5 rounds of case interviews conducted on campus along-with personal interview. Then a detailed discussion happens on all those who have interviewed and the final job offers are provided

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chennai
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Online Application. Initial Call, 1to1 Discussion, Negotiation, Offer roll out and acceptance

Interview Questions
    • This being the 3rd company in less than a year, How do you see yourself as a stable person or why should we consider in you being a person who will stick to this job   Answer Question
    Recruiters are open negotiable for a reasonable Win Win Situation

Business Presentation Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Attended the job fair . Face-to-face interview like why this job, any experience in powerpoint and brief discussion about the rotational shifts . Next was online test which tests are language skills . Then a small HR interview about college (since i was a fresher for others it was about their previous companies) The next round was at their office in Ascendas Chennai that took almost 3 hours . First was a in depth HR round and the last round was the technical where they made us to work on powerpoint with few instructions written on a piece of paper .

Interview Questions
    • The technical round . I didnt expect them to ask me to work on a data using all the powerpoint tools   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Rigorous test on your personality, previous experience, PST

Business Presentation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Thiruvananthapuram
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thiruvananthapuram

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

Initial communication was registering online. Next was the first face-to-face interview at the job fair site, where the interviewer asked us the basic question. Why this job ? Why this company ? The job responsibilities ? Current job ?
    Next was an online test testing our language skills, which was easy.
    another round of interview which was a little more detailed. Mainly the questions were from the CV that we gave. the interviewers take detailed notes of all our answers on their lap.
    Next round was an HR round at their office in trivandrum after a week. The interview lasted more than an hour and half. Small tests were done and corrections were offered.
    Final round was technical which was held after another week because their head office people had to come. the last round was bad. we were given a test to do on ppt.

the worst experience was that despite taking the pains to go to their office twice & waiting for the last round of interview for more than 3 hours, I am not sad at not being offered a position. But they said that they would inform. But they dint. The company dint have atleast the basic courtesy to inform atleast by mail that i the candidate has not been selected.
    The same happened with many people i know. Mckinsey has lost my respect.

Interview Questions
    • the questions in the technical round. the interviewer wanted specific :one/ two word" answers for every question.   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!