Merkle Interview Questions

Updated 7 Apr 2015

3.3

Senior Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Interview

After three phone interviews I was brought in to meet the staff, present a project then had to wait a bit to get confirmation of the interview results. The interviews were casual, but professional but there certainly is a phased approach to how Merkle hires. One of the most important parts of being hired here is to ensure fit.

Interview Questions

• One of the most interesting things about this interview process is the requirement to present a project to a group of peer and senior personnel. This presentation is a key portion of your final interview and is then evaluated by all members who attended.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Simple, straightforward.

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merkle in December 2014.

Interview

The person I talked with was quite a bit late. During the call, he seems quite distracted and did not pay much attention to the conversation - I even got a feeling I am talking to myself.

At the end, I asked what analytical tools they used for one of the projects. He first did not understand the question, and then poured the names of all the tools he knows of on me, as if he was not aware of details. Then I asked the same about different project, and the person answered something absolutely irrelevant, as if he has no idea about the job.

Interview Questions

Merkle Response

Apr 13, 2015Corporate Recruiter

We do our best to make sure our recruiters are prepared and informed. We apologize that you experienced differently and would still like to thank you for your time and interest in Merkle.

Director Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merkle.

Interview

As others have said -- run from this unprofessional place.

2 phone interview followed by an onsite interview with a handful of people. Onsite interview included a presentation to the group as others have mentioned in their posts. Very few questions asked during the preso.

It was surprising that the hiring manager wasn't at the onsite and the planned video conf was cancelled. Strangest part was the interview ending with a discussion with person who would have been a subordinate. A person, I might add, who had a chip on their shoulder from the word hello. No final discussion with HR -- the day just ended. Not even a call from HR that day or the next.

Strung along for weeks only to hear they hired a friend of an employee. It is unprofessional to waste a qualified candidate's time when you're planning to hire someone's buddy.

Truthfully, I dodged a bullet here and am in a better position. Beware this hollow chocolate bunny.

Interview Questions

• No memorable questions. Just kept hearing how my experience made me ideal for the position.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Merkle is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

Interview Questions

• You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?   Answer Question

Vice President, Digital Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

They schedule multiple interviews in one day. Obviously an extremely busy place.
    You have to do a presentation and should be applicable to the position you are interviewing for
    If you are uninterested in programmatic, DSP or DMP, then this is not an organization for you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

A fair amount of back and forth. But to be expected. Took a week to finalize.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Interview

About a week after I submitted my resume, a Merkle HR representative contacted me. We set up a 30 minute interview for the following day. Nothing was really unexpected about this first call, although she did say she did not have any details about the day-to-day duties of the job and that if we moved onto the next phone interview, that particular person would have more details. She just asked questions about my resume and experience, as well as more specific questions about what elearning tools I had experience with. She said that she would like to set me up for the second interview and would contact me the next day. I waited, but no email or phone call came, so another day later I emailed her. She said that they had decided to fill the position internally and that she meant to send me a message sooner.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult or unexpected for the first round of phone interviews.   Answer Question

Lead Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merkle (New York, NY (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

Seven 1:1 interviews and a 45-min presentation to the group. Interviews were confirmed several days in advance, but changed on the day. First interviewer was a no-show, others swapped in last minute and I wasn't given an updated schedule with names / titles. They said this is common practice.

Interview Questions

• None. Questions were all expected. Interviewers didn't appear to have questions prepared; a stream-of-consciousness approach.   Answer Question

Unethical behaviors by HR and line manager (i.e. back-door references). After pursuing me for several months, and after I "passed" their interviewing process with at least 6 people endorsing my hire, they called to tell me they were doing "back-door references" on me.

The irony is that my presentation to them earlier in the day included points on ensuring candidate confidentiality AND delivering a positive candidate experience. No bueno. No thanks.

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Merkle (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in May 2014.

Interview

Good experience with four 1on1 interviews and talked about my previous projects. Also make a presentation for a group and discuss details on the architecture and background. Have some deep discussion on database stuff and share the projects management experience, like agile scrum. They also interested in if your communication skills and personalities fit their company culture. Anyway, nice work environment and friendly people.

Interview Questions

Merkle Response

Apr 13, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for this review on your interview experience. We're so happy to hear it was a positive one!

Digital Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Was approached by a recruiter, who forgot our first phone appointment. After a brief conversation, a phoner with the hiring manager was set up. Hiring manager couldn't make that call, so hiring manager's boss ran the phone interview, which was cursory and somewhat uninformative due to lack of familiarity with the day-to-day of the role.
    Was brought in for an in-person interview with 5 people, complete with presentation as others have mentioned. Of the 5, the hiring manager was 15 minutes late for my interview and left after 5 minutes, and promised to return for my presentation but never did. Another interviewer had no idea what position I was interviewing for. All made multiple references to being "a start-up culture", despite working for a company that is decidedly not a start-up. I believe they believe "start-up culture" means "overworked, understaffed, and miserable but we have SNACKS".
    Another phone interview was set up for another position. That hiring manager blew off that phoner.
    Another recruiter reached out to explain there has been a lot of confusion about what position I was there for, but all agreed I was a good company fit and they would contact me in a few weeks.
    Total chaos and a barely apologetic waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What position are you here for?   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Interview

Before the interview, I was asked to prepare a presentation in which I walked through a challenging project I had managed. During the presentation there was open discussion about the details of th eproject and how I handled certain situations.