Merrill Lynch Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct 2014
Updated 29 Oct 2014

2.8

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

The process began with me contacting and sending my resume to the branch manager. From there he forwarded my information to an area recruiter. My process with the recruiter began with creating an applicant profile and taking the FIAT. The FIAT consisted of algebraic questions, finance/econ questions, and some logic exercises. A day or two later the recruiter informed me that I passed the FIAT and we scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of questions related to my current work experience, education, reasons for applying, and plan for success as a FA. Following that interview the recruiter had me fill out disclosure forms and give consent to perform additional screening. I was then turned over to the local branch manager to schedule an interview. A meeting was scheduled and I met with the manager some days later for the high achiever interview. This interview consisted of the common pleasantries and questions of your standard interview. My resume was scrutinized as well as me selling myself for the position. It seemed to go well and I was further informed of how the process would unfold in the next stages. No directions or expectations were given after this interview. I waited for a couple of weeks without any communication and was informed by email that I was no longer being considered for the position. It was disappointing as the process seemed to go well but ultimately ended. The few people that I interacted with during the process were professional and helpful. My feeling is that I didn't do a convincing job of answering questions during the interview and that I lacked the sales and financial experience that they look for.

Interview Questions
    • What are some examples of your experience as a leader?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Just a couple of easy interview questions. Some are resume based. Some are behavior questions. One simple case. I heard from seniors there will be no case questions so I did not prepare. The interview process is about 30 minutes.

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

I used an online application process after my uni made me aware of the opportunity. Submitted my cover letter, resume, and transcript and I got a call within a couple of weeks. Three more phone interviews and countless emails later, they extended an offer, non-negotiable. I happily accepted. Process was quick, easy, and pleasant (for an internship in the financial services industry, that is).

Global Wealth Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

The interviewers were friendly and cordial. Nothing too challenging was asked. They mainly asked questions pertaining to my interest in investing. Other questions included tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume, why do you want to work for Merrill Lynch

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too unexpected. I would be prepared to answer questions regarding your interest in wealth management.   Answer Question

Business Interview

The interview process was pretty typical. I went through my past experiences, what i'd like to do for the future, discussed my strengths and weaknesses.

The over all process was fairly straight forward and they were very responsive.

Interview Questions
    • What do you believe would be the most difficult for you working at Merrill Lynch.   Answer Question

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch in October 2014.

Standard Financial Comp. test, then phone interview, then in person at the complex downtown. Still awaiting next steps should be about 2 weeks before I hear anything. During the interview the first 5 minutes are silence while he looks over your "resume" it's really just a test to see if you're confident enough to let the silence sit until he speaks.

Interview Questions
    • Hard role playing in different situations. You'll need to be on your toes, to nail the interview.   Answer Question

PMD Financial Adviser Trainee Interview

Very intensive interview and what's most important to success is you already have a book to bring in. Otherwise, they won't consider you as a good fit. It's a good chat with the managing director, considering they are super busy with their clients.

Interview Questions
    • what people you know that can be your potential clients?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Three interviewers were in one room, asking one by one. They introduced themselves as associates and vice presidents. First start off by 'walk me through your resume' and then asking questions that are relevant to your resume. For example, 'why did you work at company A?' and 'how did you like it?'

Market Risk Interview

First round interview: Go through my resume especially for some of the projects I did.
    Then they asked me concept of VAR CVA and what are different methods to calculate VAR, what is their difference. Why American call option will not be early excercised? how about American put?
    Not very difficult, but i did not answer them well.

Client Associate Interview

The hiring process took about 5 weeks as there were a lot of applicants, but it was a good experience. I interviewed with the Client Relationship Manager and a bunch of Financial Advisors. Everyone I met in the interview was pretty easy going and polite.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was behavioral. Nothing about markets or investing.   Answer Question