Michaels Stores

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Beachwood, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in April 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and was called for an interview three days later. The store manager asked me one question and then talked about the history of Michaels Stores and what the position would entail. He didn't turn his headset off so throughout the interview he would stop talking or interrupt me to answer a question on the headset. He asked if I would be able to start the following week and said I would hear from him within three days.

The entire process took about ten minutes. The manager seemed incredibly cocky, from his refusal to turn the headset off to his gushing about how great his store was. He often talked over me or seemed like he wasn't really listening.

Interview Question – The only question I was asked was why I wanted to work at Michaels.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I assumed I had gotten the job when he asked if I could start the next week. After a week with no call, I tried contacting him and could not get a hold of him. About a month later I received a call offering me the job, but I had decided it was not an environment I wanted to work in.

Certified Custom Framer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in February 2012.

Interview Details High turnover job with low hours and low pay.

Interview Question – When can you start?   Answer Question

Gainesville, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details Applied online and received a call inviting me to come in for an interview. The process was very relaxed and pressure-free while remaining professional. Questions were typical and related to work history and prior customer service experience. I felt I was definitely over-prepared. I was offered a job on the spot as a cashier and was quickly promoted to custom framing.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were overwhelmed at work and how you handed the situation.   Answer Question

Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2012.

Interview Details They didn't seem overly concerned about my experience - all they had to hear was I'd worked in a gallery a few years ago and that was enough to satisfy them. It was a little nerve-wracking to have two managers throwing questions at me because the questions were sort of contradictory. I wore business casual to the interview and that was okay by them.

Interview Question – How do you handle angry customers?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is NO negotiation - you take what is offered or you don't. Period.

Certified Custom Framer

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2011.

Interview Details Talked to the frame shop manager about openings. He explained how to apply online. Filled out app online, was surprised that there was a timed test which included a math test. Mostly common sense questions.

Interview Question – starting pay rate lower than I hoped.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They did come up .50 an hour.

Certified Custom Framer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2010.

Interview Details I decided to start looking for a job, and as an artist, I figured I would like working at Michael's. I called, and they were actually hiring at that moment, so I lucked out. They asked for my name and I told them I would apply that afternoon. I applied online. It asked questions about availability, give an example of when you received excellent customer service, what is your art experience. I called back two days later asking for the status of my application, and they scheduled me for an interview the next day. I didn't have any prior work experience, but I had spent time in art school, so we bonded over that. My interviewer was really laid back and joked with me, and made me comfortable. That was back in 2010... it was the easiest interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• What art are you interested in?   View Answer
  • Do you have knowledge of art materials, how to use them, and have the ability to sell them to people?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – she flat out said that it paid minimum wage and was only part time

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores Certified Custom Framer interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees and interview candidates.