Microsoft

Average Difficulty
152 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details After submitting my resume at a career fair, I was contacted in three weeks for an on campus interview. As expected, the communication, and follow up was organized and professional. They asked me to specify what particular field interested me the most, and to establish an online profile. The interview was primarily technical.

Interview Question – Calculate the number of ancestors in a DAG.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details Great people

Interview Question – Asked how to code a program that draws a circle given a radius   Answer Question

Bellingham, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details The interviewer called on time and we chitchatted for the first 5 minutes. It was mostly behavioral questions and brain teasers as he was from the HR.

Interview Question – The marble question. I've heard of it before, but didn't bother thinking about it or looking up the answer online beforehand. Should've been easy, but the interviewer "hinted" that it would be easier with some visualization, so I went with that approach, which didn't help me any bit.   View Answer

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted directly early in the intern recruitment season by Microsoft, as a friend who was previously a Microsoft intern put my name down as a good possible fit. Flown straight to Seattle for final round interviews after a brief 15 minute phone interview. Four interviews in total, each lasting about one hour. Was for the embedded systems department. Group of interviewees were given their decisions immediately after interviews finished; a little awkward being in the "loser" group.

Interview Question – How does a rotary buffer work? Implement it in C.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Applied through their on-line system after receiving an Information leaflet from my university's Placements team. Initial selection went smooth, however I failed one of the tests as I had only 48 hours of notice to familiarise myself with the subject matter (I basically received an e-mail with a link to the test and about two days to start the test).

Interview Question – The test I failed was the Numerical Reasoning Test subcontracted from SHL. 24 minutes for 18 questions all based on interpreting graphs and charts and churning out the right numbers as fast as possible.
 The problems themselves were simple, the time was just brutally short.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Basic data structures and algorithm questions were asked and was asked to write code. Which language we choose to write code was up to me. Once the basic algorithm was implemented, then, the question's complexity was increased. One good habit is to think out loud as that helps conveying to the interviewer on how we approach the problem. Overall experience was good.

Interview Question – I was expecting complex questions, but the interviewer asked very basic algorithm questions   Answer Question

State College, PA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Interview Details They ask general questions as well as some coding problems.

Interview Question – They asked me to write a C program to check leap year (if a year is a leap year).   View Answers (2)

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details We talked about coding assignments. The interviewer asked about my background in coding. i said that I can code is JAva. He asked me a wuestion in Java. It was easy but a little difficult.

Interview Question – What is a loop   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details First-round was medium difficulty.

Interview Question – The situational questions   Answer Question

Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details I applied to the SDE internship position at my school's career fair and got a response a few weeks later. I spoke to the recruiter about possible graphics related jobs and he made it sound quite promising, even said "yep, we'll interview you." The interview itself was mostly behavioral questions like your greatest achievement, how would you use technology to change the world, etc. Only one technical question.

Interview Question – How would you design Connect Four?   Answer Question