Microsoft

Updated 24 Nov 2014

3.1

186 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

On-campus interview followed up by an on-site interview. The on-campus was ok. I was asked some questions about linked-list and some algorithms to manipulate them. The on-site interview had been ok until one guy asked my hard-core questions about C/C++ (the malloc function). I guessed that was the reason that I did not pass. The next guy asked me to design the battleship game and he obviously seemed to be in a hurry so that I knew that I wouldn't get to no where at that moment.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I was contacted via email and invited to an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes long. I was given two programming questions, one related to graphs and the other related to a subarray sum problem. After a few days, I was contacted for second round interviews in Boston, all expenses paid, to be interviewed at the Microsoft Research Building. I had 4 45 minute interviews in the morning, and received an internship offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Given a hashmap of abbreviations to a list of what the abbreviations stand for, write a program to guess new abbreviations' expanded forms (even though each letter could stand for many things) based on the mutual probabilities of the words being together in the existing abbreviation database.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview for an SDE internship. The process of getting contacted to schedule the interview to actually having the phone interview took about three weeks.

The interview was approximately 30 minutes and I was asked a variety of questions such as "What is your favorite Microsoft product and what is one thing you would do to improve it?" and "What is the difference between a thread and a process?"

I have to admit that I was caught off guard by a what was essentially a "Knights and Knaves" like question. If you're unfamiliar with those types of problems, I would recommend that you look over them briefly before an interview with them.

Other than that, the interview seemed very standard with the typical questions about my resume.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I had one phone screening interview that of 90 minutes length.

After the interview, the recruiter and scheduler contacted me to schedule the onsite interview.

Microsoft took care everything about hotel reservations, ticketing airplanes, airport pickup taxi and etc.

There were three technical interviews and one interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly string manipulation and array related questions. I got one tree related question that needed to be used with DFS traversals.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Submitted resume at college career fair. I received an email requesting an on campus interview and signed up for a slot. The interview was routine with a technical question. He asked a lot of questions about my resume. He had me describe a project I had done in detail. Still waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • Details of implementations of past projects.
      Reverse the words in a sentence: "This is a sentence." becomes "sentence. a is This"
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I went to all the events that Microsoft put on at my school, talking to the recruiter multiple times, and then got an interview. It was scheduled to be 30 minutes, but my interviewer said if I had time he'd prefer to do an hour so we did. He asked me two coding questions first, one being to find if there were duplicates in an array, and another to find a 2x2 square of 1's, in a 1 million x 1 million 2d array of the rest of the numbers being 0. Then he asked me a more conceptual question, that I didn't fully understand.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I have applied by Microsoft University Careers website and contacted back in a week. We have arranged a skype meeting which lasted about 30 minutes. They asked questions about my previous experiences that I have wrote on my resume and asked me to write 2 methods that have defined by them. After 2 weeks, I got a mail stating I have been selected for final face-to-face interview, however after a week, they sent a mail stating that all interviews in Turkey is canceled and I am free to accept other offers.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Went straight through to the final round interview. All of the candidates met in the lobby of the recruiting building and were briefed about the process. The day consisted of three 45 minute technical interviews and lunch with a member of the team I was interviewing for. All of the interviewers went right into the technical questions without asking anything about my resume. Everyone was nice and helpful, and provided useful tips for what I could do better during my next interview. I received an email from the Microsoft recruiter on the plane home saying that the team chose to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were standard CS problems, but each had a twist so that memorizing the solution from online or "Cracking the Coding Interview" wouldn't get you too far. Review sorting, recursive algorithms, dynamic programming, and basic string functions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Phone Interview and On site interview. Initially an aptitude test online, then the phone which moved to an onsite interview. The asked the general data structures and oop questions. They threw some curveballs as well. My mistakes came down to not asking questions about their problem. ASK QUESTIONS! They will reveal more that way, it will transform problems.

Interview Questions
    • Design of an online banking application (expected to troubleshoot possible problems)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Got an interview opportunity from career fair on campus and the interview was also held on campus. There were two questions. Both were pretty straightforward and the interviewer was very patient in explaining all the questions I had. My first code missed out a lot of corner cases. The interviewer was nice enough to point those out for me. I was able to correct them afterwards but still no luck for the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to return words in a string.   View Answer