Microsoft

Updated 9 Dec 2014

3.1

190 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Contacted after I sent in a resume. Process was very quick (just couple days). Interview occurred about a week after initial email to set up the interview. At conclusion of our interview, they said a more technical interview should follow.

Interview Questions
  • Largest project I've worked on, designing tech for children, and my process to solve a problem   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied though the campus recruiter and did the interview. The interview was cut about 15 minutes because he was running late. Never heard back from him. In the beginning he asked me about my projects from my resume and why I did what I did for like 5 minutes then he cut me short to do a tech question.

Interview Questions
    • Please implement an inquery and and outquery using an array using fifo.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

On-campus interview followed up by an on-site interview. The on-campus was ok. I was asked some questions about linked-list and some algorithms to manipulate them. The on-site interview had been ok until one guy asked my hard-core questions about C/C++ (the malloc function). I guessed that was the reason that I did not pass. The next guy asked me to design the battleship game and he obviously seemed to be in a hurry so that I knew that I wouldn't get to no where at that moment.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Contacted by a recruiter for a 25-minutes phone interview. He asked questions about my projects and what had been my contribution. He also asked algorithmic theoretical questions. The recruiter was very cold and the questions were quite different from what I expected. Example: who is the best coder you know and why?

Interview Questions
    • You have 3 water containers. One full of 8 liters and two of 5 and 3 that are empty. What do you do to have exactly 4 liters in the 8 and 4 liters in the 5?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I was contacted via email and invited to an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes long. I was given two programming questions, one related to graphs and the other related to a subarray sum problem. After a few days, I was contacted for second round interviews in Boston, all expenses paid, to be interviewed at the Microsoft Research Building. I had 4 45 minute interviews in the morning, and received an internship offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Given a hashmap of abbreviations to a list of what the abbreviations stand for, write a program to guess new abbreviations' expanded forms (even though each letter could stand for many things) based on the mutual probabilities of the words being together in the existing abbreviation database.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview for an SDE internship. The process of getting contacted to schedule the interview to actually having the phone interview took about three weeks.

The interview was approximately 30 minutes and I was asked a variety of questions such as "What is your favorite Microsoft product and what is one thing you would do to improve it?" and "What is the difference between a thread and a process?"

I have to admit that I was caught off guard by a what was essentially a "Knights and Knaves" like question. If you're unfamiliar with those types of problems, I would recommend that you look over them briefly before an interview with them.

Other than that, the interview seemed very standard with the typical questions about my resume.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I had one phone screening interview that of 90 minutes length.

After the interview, the recruiter and scheduler contacted me to schedule the onsite interview.

Microsoft took care everything about hotel reservations, ticketing airplanes, airport pickup taxi and etc.

There were three technical interviews and one interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly string manipulation and array related questions. I got one tree related question that needed to be used with DFS traversals.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I have applied by Microsoft University Careers website and contacted back in a week. We have arranged a skype meeting which lasted about 30 minutes. They asked questions about my previous experiences that I have wrote on my resume and asked me to write 2 methods that have defined by them. After 2 weeks, I got a mail stating I have been selected for final face-to-face interview, however after a week, they sent a mail stating that all interviews in Turkey is canceled and I am free to accept other offers.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Went straight through to the final round interview. All of the candidates met in the lobby of the recruiting building and were briefed about the process. The day consisted of three 45 minute technical interviews and lunch with a member of the team I was interviewing for. All of the interviewers went right into the technical questions without asking anything about my resume. Everyone was nice and helpful, and provided useful tips for what I could do better during my next interview. I received an email from the Microsoft recruiter on the plane home saying that the team chose to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were standard CS problems, but each had a twist so that memorizing the solution from online or "Cracking the Coding Interview" wouldn't get you too far. Review sorting, recursive algorithms, dynamic programming, and basic string functions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I went to all the events that Microsoft put on at my school, talking to the recruiter multiple times, and then got an interview. It was scheduled to be 30 minutes, but my interviewer said if I had time he'd prefer to do an hour so we did. He asked me two coding questions first, one being to find if there were duplicates in an array, and another to find a 2x2 square of 1's, in a 1 million x 1 million 2d array of the rest of the numbers being 0. Then he asked me a more conceptual question, that I didn't fully understand.