Microsoft

Getting the Interview

143 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details I applied to the SDE internship position at my school's career fair and got a response a few weeks later. I spoke to the recruiter about possible graphics related jobs and he made it sound quite promising, even said "yep, we'll interview you." The interview itself was mostly behavioral questions like your greatest achievement, how would you use technology to change the world, etc. Only one technical question.

Interview Question – How would you design Connect Four?   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details Was held onsite in Bellevue. Four different people interviewed me, all associated with the Bing division. All were friendly except for one. Questions included:design a water bottle, how would you schedule tasks on a server. All in all, the questions were basic, but they spanned a large variety of topics. Coding on a whiteboard was required for the first two interviews. The last two were less tehnical and more "idea" based.

Interview Question – Name four ways in which you could improve Bing search results.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details Submitted resume to recruiter. Microsoft employee contacted me directly via e-mail asking if interested in spring internship. Through e-mail correspondence, coordinated a 1:1 skype interview. The interview began by telling about the project they were looking for an intern. Then the employee asked about background, skills, and asked what you wanted from this experience.

Interview Question – Interviewer wanted to know technical skills; however, didn't have clear defined problem to answer.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details 30 minutes interview on school campus with just one coding question. Talked about some features specific to interviewers team and some of my past projects. Informed of advancing to final round 2 weeks later. Didn't here back for 3 weeks after that, so I emailed recruiter and was told there was a backlog of applicants, switched to SDET to accelerate the process. Had interview in Redmond 3 weeks after that (8 weeks since first interview). Final round was 4 45 minute interviews.

Interview Question – Fill an integer matrix in a spiral fashion. Starting in the upper left corner and going clock-wise, the next element should be one more than the previous.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I was contacted after speaking with a recruiter at a career fair and asked to interview on campus. The interview took place on campus and lasted one hour. The interviewer was very nice and patient.

Interview Question – I was asked a question about finding the max sum sequence in an array. The question was very fair for my skill level.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Emailed me to setup a 30 minute phone interview.

Interview Question – What process would you go through to debug a keyboard?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied at the career fair (I attend a top CS school) and was asked to interview on campus shortly after. The interview on campus asked me which role I was going for, and I told him that I did not have a preference, and he ultimately sent me to the final round for the SDET position. On site, I attended what they call an "event", where 15 of us were there together in a room, went to four interviews each, and were hanging out in the room between those interviews. After the fourth interview, we all hung out for an hour, and they told us each the offer decision one-by-one. It was overall a great process.

None of the questions were crazy hard or crazy algorithmic.

Interview Questions

• Program a function that takes in two words and checks if the first is a substring of the second.   View Answer
  • Find the angle between the hour, minute, and second hand on a clock at any given time.   Answer Question
  • Merge two sorted arrays in place, with the second array having enough space to fit in the first. Do not create a new array.   Answer Question
  • Why do you want the SDET role instead of the SDE role?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was much more excited about an offer I got at a different company, though I was also excited about Microsoft.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Gave resume at College Fair and got email for on campus interview

Interview Question – Technical Question, given a singly linked list, how to reverse direction   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details Applied online, and get an invitation for interview at the same day. one on campus interview, and one on site interview. Microsoft pay for almost everything, and It was a great experience. Took me a day to get the result.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nonnegotiable

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Interviewed for SDE Internship, consisted of 3 rounds. First 2 were on campus, last round was at Redmond. First 2 rounds were heavily technical, last round consisted of 2 interviews not as technical as previous rounds. Interviewers were very nice and passionate about what they did, questions they asked were all very fair and nothing surprising.

Interview Question – Fairly standard technical questions about algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft