Microsoft

Updated 26 Feb 2015
3,986 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

It was one of the most professional recruitment process. It started with a telephonic round and then the remaining process happened at their Hyderabad campus. I had four interviews in total and the last one was with the Director of the unit.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was to design round where i have to code and design a problem given by them.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

2 written tests. 1) mathematical and technical aptitude 2) coding test on programming and data structure using either c or c++ or java. The coding test contains questions to implement algorithms from linked list and tree data structure. The main function is already given, we need to write only the function definition.

Software Engineer Interview

First rounded consisted of about 50 questions on aptitude which we were supposed to solve in 45 minutes.This was followed by technical round,which had questions on DS,OS,DBMS,C++,C.Then came the technical interview followed by the H.R round.The questions in the technical round were easy as well.But they asked in depth about the resume.They mostly checked us on our basics of DBMS and DS.
    Although I could not make it to the H.R round,but those who made it said it lasted for about 15 minutes and it was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were fairly easy as it was an on-campus hiring process,the cutoff was high though.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

It was one of the great morning ,when I went for the interview for Associate Consultant in Microsoft.
    As I entered the room there was a good looking guy sitting ,He welcomed me and asked to sit down and get settled down.He started with his introduction the asked mine.
    Now the Structure of Interview was;
    1. Logical Puzzles
    2. Technical Puzzles (Related to Oops)
    3. Scenario based questions

Logical puzzles like rectangle into equal half in one stroke when a piece of rectangle is already taken out from the same page ,problems related to sector ,etc
    In tech. Puzzles it was simple in depth Oops concepts only and c# concepts
    then other were scenario based.
    Interview was a really cool guy ,will try to make u comfortable in the interview.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

There was a programming round and two programming questions were there. Then technical and hr round.In techical round the person asked a programming question and everything in resume.He asked some questions in java (very basics) and then asked about new technologies.

Support Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

I have got the call from a consultant and scheduled the interview after a week and interview went well but I couldn't clear. Below are the questions which I was asked.

Interview Questions
    • What is CLR
      What is managed and unmanaged code
      What is garbage collector
      what is generation in garbage collector
      What is request life cycle
      what is page life cycle
      which event is the best to add a asp.net control dynamically and why
      how does viewstate important to a asp.net control
      what is state management
      what is session and view state
      which is the tag in web.config file to implement session
      What is web garden
      what is web farm
      in what scenario should I goto outproc or inproc or sql server
      what is the life cycle of mvc
      explain the eaach attribute of sessionState tag in web.config
      what if we set cookieless is true
      what is auto postback for asp.net control
      what is enableViewstate for an asp.net control
      what is finalize method
      what is dispose and the difference between dispose and finalize
      can we override finalize method
      what is destructor
      how the low priority thread clears the objects and how does it knows which object to clear and what is the process
      what is difference between exe and dll
      can we run exe in different os and what are the points should we consider to install in different OS
      what is GAC
      How to add dll in GAC
      how to remove dll from gac
      what is strong name
      how to create strong name
      what are the different segments in strong name
      what is request life cycle
      what is http.sys
      what is appPool
      can we set multiple workerprocesses to an appPool if yes how can we do that
      what is httRequest
      what is httpModule
      What is httpHandler
      how to do to install a custom module in IIS
      to develop a new language like c# what are different considerations
      can we use a dll which is developed with f# or j# in c# project
      why do we need to convert the IL
      what are the different components in CLR
      What if we close the SqlConnection object and what does it mean
      What is caching

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Microsoft visited our campus and it was a pleasant experience. The interviewer was friendly. Absolutely no need to get nervous. But he observes every move and thought of yours carefully. Questions were about advanced algorithmic concepts. Not too difficult, but he was testing my ability to approach a problem

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

1. Online Written Test - Coding, CN, OS, Maths and English
    2. 2 Technical Interview 1:1 after the selection in the first round.
    3. 1 Managerial Round

The interview process was smooth. You get sufficient time to solve any problem. The interviewer will always be polite and will help if you get stuck.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were average. Basic Database queries and basic programming questions related to string manipulation. List and Maps.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Round 1:

Interview Round 2:
    1) In an image clouds are scattered all over. Lets say clouds are of white color and the rest of the image has different color. The problem was to count the number of such clouds. (Assume the image is given in a 2D matrix format).
    2)Given an array find all the sub-arrays that has sum zero. (Note: an nlogn solution is required). A continuation of the above question was to find all subarrays with sum less than a small number lets say 1.

Interview Round 3:
    In this round I was asked about my projects, BTP, interests and had to answer questions like – “why microsoft” or “what do you like about it” etc. After that he asked few aptitude-type questions, like-

1)Given two dice how would you represent all the days of a month?
    2)How would you design an automated traffic-signal system?
    3)What are the measures that you would devise to allow credit cards for children?

Interview Questions
    • Here I had to implement a sorted 2-D linked list (the first node of the linked list is connected to another linked list and it continues this way, and each row i.e. single linked list can have at most 5 nodes, and the keys stored in linked list are in sorted order). Along with representation write the add and delete function for this linked list. (Note: No pseudo code business there, had to write proper code). Finally he asked me how to test the code (basically wanted different test-cases to cover the whole code and its boundary cases).   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

There were 4 interviews. All of them were technical. They hardly asked me about my previous experience. All the questions were around algorithms and data structures and mathematics. There were total 4-5 algorithms that I had to write on paper.

Interview Questions
    • There were questions related to recurrence relation and game theory.   Answer Question