Microsoft Interview Questions

3,560 Interview Reviews

3.3

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Very Tough and there were 9 rounds of interviews for this position. One stage without confidence may disqualify you. Be confident in your words and place your resume in accordance with the applied position.

Associate Consultant Interview

There were three rounds of Interview - Online Test, Technical Interview and Hiring Manager Interview

Online Test had questions on verbal, reasoning, logical and technical questions
    Technical Interview was telephonic and there were wide ranging questions from C#, C and your respective area of work and other topics related to your work domain
    Hiring Manager Interview had questions about the kind of work I am doing currently and what I wish to work on etc

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

Interview was 5years experience in c++ and dot net.

Round one: 45 min..I couldn't surpass this
    Round two:
    Round three:

This through a staffing company with client being Microsoft and permanent in staffing company.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between a crash and exception.

Difference between macros and inline functions.

Mfc: message maps and virtual functions.

Different calling convention.

Late n early binding...

Garbage collector algorithm. When gc will fail to clean the memory.

How to know heap size, crash dump analysis, What is a stack n how to know stack memory size.
      Commands in windbg.

Questions on Critical section, mutex, semaphores. Can we use mutex in single process and how?

Working of MSIL and JIT COMPILER.

Can a C# code, use c++ code and call kernel functions like createfile.

Areas: dot net, oops, operating systems, thread synchronization.

Difference in execution steps of c++ and c# code
        Answer Question

MSIT Software Developer Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I took part in Microsoft campus recruitment in my college. There was an initial online coding round, followed by one written coding and two technical interviews and one HR interview.
    The coding questions were really easy. The interviews focused solely on Databases and past projects.

Interview Questions
    • The most shocking thing was that both the technical interviews and the HR interview was only and only about Databases. Everything from Normal forms to Different databases in real world, complex SQL queries etc. There was *not even one* question about Algorithms or Data Structures.   Answer Question

Software Design Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got interview call for CRM team opening in Bangalore. My friend in Microsoft refer me so I got direct interview call instead of Skype round. There were 4 round (last round was Manager round). Each round had some algorithm designing questions and some system designing questions. Some of questions are -
    1. Calculate given expression consist of /, *, + and - operators only (check for multi-digit numbers, unary minus operator, divide by zero etc)
    2. Serialization of balanced and un-balanced binary tree
    3. Some general linked list and tree based questions

Interview Questions
    • Design the system which take input some important data and information about importance of input data. This system should send data after deciding transfer protocol and encryption algorithm. So main question is how to decide on protocol and encryption algorithm. Also system should adept such that in future we can add some new algorithm and protocol also with out much changes in the system.   View Answer

Because of these two reason -
    1. I asked for SDE2 position instead of SDE
    2. Salary offered to me was not great, they are giving more joining bonus instead of more base part of salery

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Online Test conducted by Cocubes. Can be given from home.

At Microsoft Office :

1 Written Test followed by 2 Technical 1 Managerial(kind of role play and case study round) and 1 HR(kind of stress plus typical HR) interview

Technical rounds consist of 5 algorithms from DS and Algorithms(You can code in any language), approx 5-10 from OS, 2-5 que from DBMS, 5-10 From Networks and 2-5 from Testing.

Have a heavy breakfast before going to Microsoft office as it will be very long day there. Do not get irritated by long day as HR is the stress round in which people normally screw up because of high fatigue level.

Explain very clearly and in depth your past projects and your role.

Interview Questions
    • Be logical and clear. You have to be very very thorough in knowledge as frequently questions like explain some term to a layman can arise. Nothing is too difficult. Just good presence of mind and logical skills with least nervousness would help crack the interview.   Answer Question
    I am an entry level fresher. I got around 170 % hike so there was no scope of negotiation. Microsoft cares a lot about employees and gives lucrative compensation with best working environment. So, in short no need to worry about compensation.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applies through university.First, there was a written coding test- where there were two easy coding questions- one was if u have a rotated sorted array, write the function to find a given key in o(logn).
    In the interviews they asked questions on DS and many OS questions.
    There was:
    1) coding round
    2) write a code on paper for the given problem
    3) Technical interview 1
    4) Technical interview 2
    5) HR

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

A short MCQ round of 15 questions was held.Then a coding round of two questions was undertaken by us.
    Later after a few days the guys came to campus for interviews.After 2 or 3 rounds they selected the candidates. Students with good communication skills were selected after 2 round only.

Interview Questions
    • Convert a binary search tree in place in a sorted doubly link list.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

There was a written test(15 MCQ ques which mainly consists of basic C questions by cocubes).50 students were shortlisted followed by coding round(2 questions).Around 25 students were shortlisted further.Then 3 interviews + HR round was there.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Had a written test consisting of DS and algo questions.
    Then there were four rounds of technical interviews. During the interview all questions were related to DS and algo. Nobody asked me questions related to my previous projects.
    Additional One interview was in Hyderabad. It was taken by the director of our division. he asked one simple technical question and then explained me about he roles and responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • One or two design questions.
      Remaining all were on DS and algo e.g. BST, linked lists, practical implementation of these concepts.
      Some were on the OS basics.
        Answer Question
    Did not negotiate as they were offering much higher than my expecation.