Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated 26 Mar 2015

3.3

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied through employee referral. The interview was face-to-face. The interviewer started by asking about my past experience. Then, most of the discussion was around designing an engine to predict the outcome of a certain cricket match. I started well but then got a bit nervous and messed it up. It was only after I got out that I realized where I'd gone wrong. Got a negative reply within a day. The overall experience was quite pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Design an engine to predict the outcome of a certain cricket match.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Hyderābād).

Interview

Very Tough and there were 9 rounds of interviews for this position. One stage without confidence may disqualify you. Be confident in your words and place your resume in accordance with the applied position.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

not so great

Interview Questions

• given a chance to join apple, Microsoft where do u join?   1 Answer

Negotiation

nothing

Program Manager Interview

Interview

- Analytical section
    - Communication section
    - Experience
    - Behavorial

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Hyderābād) in June 2012.

Interview

I received a call from HR and first interview was schedule in 3 weeks time frame after the CV was referred.
    It was one Face to Face interview. It was through and then I was called for next round of interviews after 2 more weeks. Three people interviewed independently(each 45min) and after third person I was asked to leave.

Good:
    1. HR mails were very detailed
    2. Great office and buildings.
    3. Receiving was good by people.

Not Good:
    1. HR: Very slow in closing the positions. We need to follow up.
    2. Techincal interview:
         - Interview process: Not even a single management question asked even though the interview was for a manager. The interview was same as for freshers. There was no question asked from the past experiences. I was wondering what was the value add from experience. Question on binary trees.
       - The complete interview was puzzles and puzzles even though they named it as problem solving! Expectation was to give the answer which the interviewer was thinking!. It is fine to have puzzles part of the interview but not to have only those.
      - Interviewers were not prepared. They didn't even go through the CV nor had time to listen. They were busy with there stuff.
     - There was no relation between the Interviews and the job description/profile. Even a junior engineer interviews for senior profiles.

I came to know from HR that same interview pattern is applied to any one in development, test, management. People move from one teams to other , one role to other !!

Advice:
    1. Prepare like a fresher.
    2. Go through the puzzles.
    3. Be prepared for wrong/incomplete questions.
    4. Give answers which interviewer is thinking !!

Interview Questions

• Find if a B-tree is a balanced or not   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Hyderābād) in April 2012.

Interview

In the phone interview, the interviewer asked one question - how to design a contacts app for cell phone.
    We talked on that for 30 minutes and then said good byes.

Interview Questions

• how to design a cell phone contacts app?   2 Answers
    • discuss various existing apps and tell what features will make our app stand out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Hyderābād) in January 2012.

Interview

1 telephonic interview followed by 4-5 rounds of 1:1 interview in Company premises. Mostly design questions asked in each of the interviews. Some interviewers also asked mathematical question and very basic programming question. Rest of the interview was resume based.

Interview Questions

• Consider a lift lobby where people are waiting for the lift. Now when lift arrives people get in irrespective of who came first. Thus, the person who came first keeps waiting and others keep getting in. Design a lift system which can solve the problem of this person.   11 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Hyderābād) in February 2011.

Interview

Design an online restaurant table booking system
    Design an online backup system
    Design a system to give internet browsing experience to a user even he/she is offline

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād

Application

interviewed at Microsoft (Hyderābād) in November 2010.

Interview

Telephonic interview , face to face interview, one hands on round

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Hyderābād) in October 2010.

Interview

From the very beginning the interview was mostly around problem solving capabilities be it around designing solutions for retail or some complex puzzle or algorithm. I underwent 5 rounds of interviews that lasted almost full day including breaks.

Interview Questions

• I did not know about Program Management role and the hiring manager could not fully articulate it. I realised, if hiring manager is having such a hard time explaining, it must be a challenging role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much of negotiation. I moved from US and didn't know the local market in India therefore just accepted the position.