Microsoft

Getting the Interview

259 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hyderābād

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Interview Details From the very beginning the interview was mostly around problem solving capabilities be it around designing solutions for retail or some complex puzzle or algorithm. I underwent 5 rounds of interviews that lasted almost full day including breaks.

Interview Question – I did not know about Program Management role and the hiring manager could not fully articulate it. I realised, if hiring manager is having such a hard time explaining, it must be a challenging role.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of negotiation. I moved from US and didn't know the local market in India therefore just accepted the position.

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details - Analytical section
- Communication section
- Experience
- Behavorial

Interview Question – Estimate the market size for ms word   Answer Question

Hyderābād

I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2010.

Interview Details Telephonic interview , face to face interview, one hands on round

Interview Question – Hands on round is quite tough   Answer Question

Hyderābād

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details 1 telephonic interview followed by 4-5 rounds of 1:1 interview in Company premises. Mostly design questions asked in each of the interviews. Some interviewers also asked mathematical question and very basic programming question. Rest of the interview was resume based.

Interview Question – Consider a lift lobby where people are waiting for the lift. Now when lift arrives people get in irrespective of who came first. Thus, the person who came first keeps waiting and others keep getting in. Design a lift system which can solve the problem of this person.   View Answers (9)

Hyderābād

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2012.

Interview Details I received a call from HR and first interview was schedule in 3 weeks time frame after the CV was referred.
It was one Face to Face interview. It was through and then I was called for next round of interviews after 2 more weeks. Three people interviewed independently(each 45min) and after third person I was asked to leave.

Good:
1. HR mails were very detailed
2. Great office and buildings.
3. Receiving was good by people.

Not Good:
1. HR: Very slow in closing the positions. We need to follow up.
2. Techincal interview:
     - Interview process: Not even a single management question asked even though the interview was for a manager. The interview was same as for freshers. There was no question asked from the past experiences. I was wondering what was the value add from experience. Question on binary trees.
   - The complete interview was puzzles and puzzles even though they named it as problem solving! Expectation was to give the answer which the interviewer was thinking!. It is fine to have puzzles part of the interview but not to have only those.
  - Interviewers were not prepared. They didn't even go through the CV nor had time to listen. They were busy with there stuff.
 - There was no relation between the Interviews and the job description/profile. Even a junior engineer interviews for senior profiles.

I came to know from HR that same interview pattern is applied to any one in development, test, management. People move from one teams to other , one role to other !!

Advice:
1. Prepare like a fresher.
2. Go through the puzzles.
3. Be prepared for wrong/incomplete questions.
4. Give answers which interviewer is thinking !!

Interview Question – Find if a B-tree is a balanced or not   View Answer

Hyderābād

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2009.

Interview Details I went through 6 interview rounds.
The first interview was generic and tested fundamental Computer Science concepts.
The rest of the interviews focused on scenarios. A scenario was presented, and I had to break it down into use-cases. Next I had to come up with feature and work-items with swags, followed by prioritizing and scheduling. In one of the rounds I was also asked to come up with an elevator pitch.
All in all, it was a great experience.

Interview Question – Design a cell phone for a 2 yr old kid   View Answers (2)

Hyderābād

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

Interview Details In the phone interview, the interviewer asked one question - how to design a contacts app for cell phone.
We talked on that for 30 minutes and then said good byes.

Interview Questions

Bangalore

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2009.

Interview Details Day1:
1. Written test - tests analytical skills and some technical skills

gap of an hour

If the candidate clears the written test. (I cleared the test)
2. Interview 1: A senior program manager interviews you. very friendly but there are lot of hidden things in that friendly talk so beware of decoys, don't just get carried away. Technical, analytical and approach to problems. Analytical questions are mostly general and not tied to a job responsibility. Ask good questions.

half an hour gap

If the candidate clears the first interview (I cleared it)
3. Interview 2: A program manager interviews you. Friendly. Technical as well as analytical stuff, but this time specific to the job area that you are interviewing for. Expect open ended questions, be ready to analyse, and carry the discussion forward sensibly, ask good questions, and be ready for whiteboard discussions also (just in case).

If the candidate clears the 2nd interview, he is thru for the final round with the group program manager, to be organized a couple of weeks hence.

I cleared it and was told immediately about it and was informed that my last interview will happen in a couple of weeks and they will let me know.

Call for the last interview with the group program manager (almost 2 weeks after the first round)

4. Interview with the gpm: Its either going to be less than 15mins or going to be45+minutes. Depending on your impression in the first few minutes. Very sharp guy, intelligent and knowledgeable. Mine lasted for 50+ minutes and was extremely engaging. Its the part where it comes to, how will you adapt into the organisation, will you be a good fit by behavior/nature/instincts/as-a-person, and less importantly by skills, coz those have been verified in earlier interview. Though all kinds of questions will come, technical, analytical, creative, open ended discussion, dig-your-history.

I did impress the guy and we both were very much into the interview, but he did not like my history/career-path-till-then, 'coz I have been entrepreneurial, doing my own stuff by quitting earlier job in the past and that really haunted the whole discussion and the guy, for almost half the duration )

Interview Question – Looking at your past with entrepreneurial and free spirited actions. I don't think you will be happy even if I give you this job, will you be? [this is a specific question for entrepreneurs turning to jobs, not a general question]   Answer Question

Hyderābād

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview Details Design an online restaurant table booking system
Design an online backup system
Design a system to give internet browsing experience to a user even he/she is offline

Interview Questions

Program Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I was an FTE for several years and now an external doing an informational interview. Pretty sad and disappointing to know the process is so broken. Had heard negative stories from others but didn't believe it until I became an external again. They simply do_not respond to you if they aren't moving forward with you. Not even a courtesy email. I wish they put some feedback process in place to check on these vendors-recruiters' work. They leave bad impression, which is totally against their hiring principles.

Interview Question – Your stack rank in record.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Program Manager interview questions and advice. All 259 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.