Microsoft

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hyderābād

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2008.

Interview Details 5 rounds

Interview Question – what are your strength and weakness   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details I was made aware of the job through a recruiter. I was interviewing for a senior consultant position with Microsoft. My area is Microsoft Dynamics AX. I had a phone interview and invitation to the tech center in Texas. The process was to go through about 5 to 6 interviews, one after another. It was a very tough day. I was a bit concerned because at the time I had a lot of ERP experience but not that much AX experience. Well, at the end of the day I was told that I was liked and awaited a job offer. The offer never came. They basically said, not the right time.

Interview Question – Microsoft's questions for technical people are apparently, legendary. However, I was to be an ERP consultant so I did not receive that difficult of questions because I knew the ERP space. However, they did try to work in a white board exercise so be prepared to do that. My question was how would I go about implementing a multi-site engagement.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details MicroSoft really does have a machine when it comes to the interview process. It started when I got an invite from an internal MS Recruiter on LinkedIn. After initially turning him away, he was persistent and we had a short discussion on the phone. This was followed by a more formal phone discussion where he outlined the job and what they were looking for to see if I might have an interest. He allowed me to think about it for a weekend and we decided to move forward.

That was followed up with a phone interview with a Sr. Consultant that was focused on technical questions on the system primarily along with some soft skill questions.

I had another phone interview with a consultant and was then handed off to a Staffing Consultant Team who arranged for me to have an onsite interview.

I flew in the night before and got into their office early on a Friday. I met with the Consulting Manager who interviewed me, followed by 2 other interviewers. It was approximately a half day process in their office.

They followed up with a response the early part of the next week.

Truthfully, I probably had as many questions for them as they had for me. And I believed that worked in my favor. I did research on LinkedIn for the final three interviewers to get an understanding of where they may be coming from.

Interview Question – Whether or not I minded working on a team.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They indicated that there really wasn't any room salary wise on their offer (which was very fair for the position). After initially making some requests, and after discussing it with my wife, we decided that their offer was generous and we didn't need to negotiate any further.

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2009.

Interview Details 6 interviews with a blend of technical and business/consulting type questions. HR when I was originally hired was much better and more professional. Now they seemed to have outsourced HR to a company that was clearly the lowest bidder. They mess up interviews times etc. - completely unprofessional - but you get what you pay for.

Interview Question – A couple of off the wall questions like "what are you reading now". Technical questions in can be challenging, but generally not an issue if you are smart and know your stuff.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Here is the deal - no real negotiation.

Raanana (Israel)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Interview Details Head hunter contacted me and initiated the process. Then MS recuiters kept me updated and scheduled appointments.
I had a meeting with my direct manager (will ask about salary expectations), then a technical interview with another consultant, and then an interview with HR and department manager.
frequency of meetings was every 10 days approx.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. They asked my what my expectations were, and presented my a "take it or leave it" offer that was less then my declared expectations were

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

Interview Details Had six rounds of interview. It was straight forward. Had a Technical round and then puzzeles interview round and then meet some management and leaders. The lunch was informal and was able to talk general work stuff as well. The turn around time was quick. Did not get a chance to negeotiate much

Interview Question – Puzzeles   View Answer

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Good hiring process , multiple rounds , each round is equally important and need to do good in all the rounds.

Interview Question – Puzzles , it was a long time back   Answer Question

Senior Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details Was initially contacted by a recruiter from my LinkedIn profile. Consistently well-organized and professional process. Three phone interviews - the first describing how they felt my experience fit the position and the last two were more technical ensuring that I knew the product architecture using specific customer scenarios. I was then flown out to an office and had three seperate on-site interviews that focused mostly on consulting skill set. It was a well performed conversational interview process and a low-stress experience.

Interview Question – Have you delt with a difficult customer - what what the situation and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

Interview Details Microsoft is a weird place to interview. I spent two days in face to face interviews. All the questions were about customer service, except for some brief technical questions. Not one question related to my experience. My resume was not even referred to. I guess they either really trusted what I said, or didn’t really care about my experience.

I couldn’t gage how I did, since all the questions could have been answered in several different ways. I was always interviewed by 2 people at a time, and I would say every 4th question the interviewers argued about what they thought the correct answer should be.

I was told during one of the phone interviews that if an internal candidate applied, we external people didn’t stand a chance, but they still needed to interview 5 people. I get the feeling the interview was simply a check mark to say they interviewed the 5 people they were told they had to interview.

I never got any feedback after the face to face, not even the basic reject letter. I requested it about 3 weeks after the last interview, but was told by the interview coordinator that was not their job.

During the process I had 2 face to face interview days and 3 phone interviews. They were very good about communication until they were done with me. That left a pretty bad taste in my mouth for the company.

Interview Question – If you had to choose between helping your top two clients, what process would you use to decide which one you should help.   View Answers (2)

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview Details Interview lead was provided through posting on Facebook and through a friend who already works in the group I wanted in. The team was the Services (consulting) group. Had 4 interviewers each focusing on a different technical area (from what I listed in my resume) - in addition to technical questions, a lot of "soft-skills" probes to find out how to handle typical project situations.

Overall a great experience.

Interview Question – Describ, in detail, the differences between the Java VM/Runtime and the .NET runtime.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Senior Consultant interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.