Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2014

3.5

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Program Manager Interview

2 phone interviews. 5 onsite interviews. The whole process took 1 month. Microsoft is very efficient with their recruiting process and they kept me informed throughout. All the people I met knew their stuff and had an interesting conversation with them. They were friendly.

Interview Questions
  • We are a world class team with each member best in their area. What do you bring to the table that is world class?h   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Program Manager Interview

phone call, follow up in person to fly out, met with managers at different locations, did not meet with actual manager that would manage me which was weird. Very quick response after interview but a very very long time between that follow up and the actual offer due to the background verification, this can take up to 2 to 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • situational questions from job verification (not difficult but expect them)   Answer Question
    no negotiation possible

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Hiring at MSFT is fair, well-organized, and it extracts what we need to know from potential new-hires. It may seem grueling to the candidates, but we get about 6 hrs to determine if you are awesome and can help us move the needle.

Interview Questions
    • In 2005, I didn't know much about replicated systems and how to upgrade a server farm, but now this seems to be common knowledge.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

I was contacted about a job opening by someone I knew in the company. I uploaded my resume for the position, and a few weeks later was contacted by HR to be screened, and invited in to be interviewed. One of the interviews was conducted via Skype, but the others were in-person. The interviewing was thoughtful, and questions included my skills knowledge to fulfill the technical aspect of the role, strategic thinking, innovation and creativity, and questions that would indicate how well I might fit into the team.

Interview Questions
    • Not a difficult question nor unexpected, but I was asked what was the highest level executive to which I had ever presented.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Travel and accommodation arranged by friendly, professional staff. Whole day interview to talk to 6 people. Topics covers both project/program management and domain knowledge (speech, NLP, dialog). It was nice experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

HR could be a bit disorganized, but the actual interview loop was relatively smooth. Definitely bring your resume as HR is unreliable about this -- even for internals.

Interview Questions
    • Using a satellite photo, tell me how many blades of grass are in a square meter of the turf outside this building.   Answer Question

The group seemed demoralized and uncertain about their futures.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through other source - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

While I was working at Microsoft as a vendor, a PM with whom I'd worked approached me to ask if I might be interested in applying for a Senior PM position he would be hiring and for which he thought I would be a good fit.

I applied online and he indicated to HR that he wanted me in the candidate pool. They scheduled a day of interviews in the form of Lync meetings, which I found tricky because I didn't have the benefit of meeting with the interviewers face-to-face.

I made it through the full day of interviews but didn't hear from them for weeks. I pinged my original contact a couple of weeks later and he let me know that the individual members of team with which I'd interviewed couldn't agree on the qualities they were looking for or what they hoped the person in the position would actually do so they couldn't agree that I was the person for the job. Ultimately he let me know that half the team wanted me but the other half were undecided. They opted not to hire the position at all until they could agree on the specifics about the role. I believe they still haven't hired.

Interview Questions
    • My second interviewer led off by asking me "Which domains do you think we should focus on in our solution?" Given 1) my lack of technical expertise in the area; and 2) that I was interviewing for a management position, I thought that was a pretty tough question to start with.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

behavioral questions
    situational questions
    design question
    resume based questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2011.

employee referral lead to informational (1:1) interview.
    a formal interview loop was established with 5 different people (peers, developers, managers)
    a final as appropriate interview with a senior director for the parent group.

Interview Questions
    • Create the design specifications for a Car.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

They flew me to Seattle and put me up in a super nice hotel the night before. We started the interview process at 11 the next day.

between 11 and 1 we were taken around the Microsoft campus in Redmond as well as given 10 dollars for lunch at their food court area. The concierge was a pretty cool dude and I was really enjoying myself.

After that we had 4 one-on-one interviews with people from microsoft who worked in the positions we were hiring for. Besides having to wait over two hours after to hear if I received an offer, it was a pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were all that difficult and they mostly pertained to what I spoke to them about. With a program manager interview if you are confident and have strong interests in something specific, then steer the interview to a that interest. For example, I have a lot of interest with collaboration in China and whenever I brought that up, they used scenarios that had to do with doing business with China. It was great.

The last interviewer asked me to design a calculator, which is a question someone else received in the glassdoor reviews so I would prepare for that one.
        View Answer

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!